Going to the Next Level? (Read 129 times)

pedaling fool

I've been running for a few years and I've read a few books, including Runner's World book Titled: Complete book of running : everything you need to know to run for fun, fitness and competition (2004 edition). So I'm familiar with Speed Work, but didn't really give it much thought, since I wanted to really improve on my distance in running.

However, lately I've been getting bored from running and my runs have become tedious, then the thoughts of Speed Work came back, not just for the boredom issue, but also because I've found that my pace has somewhat plateaued.

Today was my first official Speed work training and I wasn't too concerned with "going all out", in the interest of not hurting myself and my distance was probably not typical, since I can't find a track -- all school tracks are behind a gate with No Trespassing signs.

Basically what I did was find a residential street (no traffic) that was a length of 0.2 mile (~322 meters) and ran it five times. That's all I could do; I was totally exhausted after 4 runs, so that fifth one really hurt. And I'm not new to sprinting; I always sprint during my runs a little here and there, but to do it when I pushed harder, because I wasn't saving energy for the remainder of my run, was just exhausting, period.

But, I felt really good after it was done, but it took a really long time for my HR to get below 100.

Now that I'm more receptive to Speed Work, I'll be reading up on it again, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

arca

I sometimes have the same problem with getting onto the track, especially when travelling. I tend to go down to a local park to the soccer pitches. If they're not being used then i run round the perimeter. Each lap completed I 'nail it' across the diagonal line between the opposing corners across the full length of the pitch. It's a 'steal' from the training we did at school for rugby and soccer, but I think it's a viable speed session.

pedaling fool

Yeah, the funny thing is that I just decided, in an "all of a sudden" way yesterday that I was going to do this, so I jumped in the car to go to a track in the area, with no access, so I went  to  a few others I've been to and they all had fences and signs up now. So I just went home and did a few sprints up and down some streets near my house.

But I've been looking for other locations and I have found another street that is better suited and it's about 1.25 miles from here so good way to get in a slow warm-up jog before the sprints, followed by a cool-down jog home.

There's also a track at the miliatary base, but it's not a standard size/shape, it's about a 0.35-mile funky circular shape. I'll probably do a few on there before/after my weightlifing.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

You don't need a track or known distance of course. Just use a watch. Run hard for 90 seconds, then jog for 60, and repeat. Or 3 min on and 2 min off. Unlimited variations possible.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Cyberic

There are different kinds of speed work. Jack Daniels has three major:

Threshold speed is a speed that you could hold for about an hour well rested. Or that you could hold for 30-40 minutes under training workload. For me it's a bit slower than my 10 k speed, that is the speed I can hold for 10k. Running at Threshold speed is great to teach your body to eliminate lactate. In other words, to gain endurance.

Interval speed is pretty much the speed at which you have reached the maximum Oxygen your lungs can deliver to your body. If you run faster, you'll be in oxygen debt. It is usually at 3k-5k speed. Running at that speed helps train your body to deliver more oxygen to your body.

Repetition speed is faster than that. It's fast while keeping good form. It teaches your body to be more effective at running faster.

I train by time. Don't need a track. Threshold speed "repetitions" are longer than "Interval" speed, which in turn are longer than Repetion "Reps".

If I'm doing Interval speed reps, I might do 4x3 minutes with 3 minutes break. Or 4 x 4 minutes with 3 minutes break. Breaks, for me, are easy paced running. For others, they are walking.

As said previously, possibilities are endless. And you definitely don't need a track. I have a GPS watch for speed, but you could also spray paint lines on a sidewalk at 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, etc.

Member Since 2008

A few years ago the coolest thing happened while I was running in Eugene Oregon.  As I was running by Hayward Field I saw that the gates were opened so I went in and ran a couple of miles.  I got some strange looks but no one said anything to me.  I know you said all the high school tracks are behind locked gates.  Try the junior high tracks.  Doing speedwork on tracks are a lot easier.  If you have a long straight stretch with telephone poles so you can sprint between the poles distances.