ITBS fixes for the new(er) runner (Read 739 times)

MisterPaul

I know most veterans are thinkin "Great. Another ITBS thread." But I really felt this was important to post. For the new runners who are just discovering the joys of Iliotibial band syndrome, I feel your pain. Or, at least I used to. Everyone said the same thing to me - stretch it out. Do those ITB stretches. The stretches weren't worth jack-crap, so I asked a friend of mine for advice. He's a physician's assistant, specializing in sports medicine. He agreed that the stretches weren't worthwhile, but he gave me the answer I was seeking. You have to strengthen the muscles that will correct the problem. I could explain it to you, but if you'll follow this link, it will tell you all you need to know. Especially the exercise at the very end. http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050415/1545.html I'm finally able to run consistently, thanks to this simple exercise. I do 3 sets of 20 for each leg every day. There was no more pain after 1 week. I hope this helps someone else.
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I definitely agree. Strengthening makes a huge difference.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        Thanks for the post. I dealt with ITBS over the summer. The last fix I was suggested was rubbing the area out along the muscle with my fingertips (I need a kneecap recovery and neck crackling remedy post... )

Vim

I run for Fried Chicken!

I had some ITB issues a few months ago and the stretches made all the difference for me. But the stretch that was the most effective I don't remember where I found it. I'll try to describe it the best way that I can since i haven't been able to find a picture of it anywhere online. To stretch your left leg, stand about a 1.5 feet from a wall or something solid you can lean against with your left side to the wall. Put your left leg behind your right leg and reach it as far to the right as you can while bending your right knee. I normally lean against the wall to keep my balance. It almost looks like something a speed skater would be doing. I forget where I learned this stretch from but my ITB issues went away completely after I started doing these before and after my runs. Maybe it'll help someone else.
            also - if you are suffering ITB problems get a foam roller and roll your ITB regularly. it'll hurt like hell the first few times but it will help.