1.2 mm sock-things actually really durable!! (Read 452 times)

Pink Bunny

Pink Bunny

A few months ago I started a topic asking you guys how much miles you could cram into your shoes before they fell apart; and on a side note, I mentioned that my new shoes (at that time) had about 200 miles on them and they showed no wear, which I was immpressed with considering the sole is only 1.2 mm thick. I now have 717 miles on them!! True, much of it is done on dirt/rocks, but still! Most shoes are 20mm thick and last about this long. Am I overreacting? Is 700 miles a lot, or do you have shoes with more? Let me know.

P.S. here is the link to these shoes, they use a plastic (TPU) sole instead of rubber, because it's more durable (so they say)

http://www.sockwa.com/products/g2 

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. and let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." -James 1:2-4

That's awesome!  I'm still eagerly awaiting my pair, which they promised to deliver in February.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I think most "20mm" shoes wear out because the cushioning deteriorates with miles and exposure over time (air, sunlight, heat, wet).  If you don't have any cushioning, there's less to wear out.  Also, if the cushioning determines the life of the shoe, then the sole only needs to out-last the cushioning.

Is the TPU sole comfortable to run on ?  I'd image my NB MT-10s would easily absorb 700miles without me noticing.  But the foot experience is a whole lot different than my ASICS gels (which strangely have 500+ miles on them and haven't "shown" any underside wear).

2014 Goals:  sub-3 Marathon 

Current Status 11/10: Back to building up miles.  Junk feels mostly okay.  Kinda.

Pink Bunny

Pink Bunny

the TPU is about the same in protection as compared to rubber, although the only thing i have for comparison are my vibram sprints, which are 3mm thick.

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. and let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." -James 1:2-4