Perfect Albums (Read 326 times)

Hip Redux

I thought about Madonna but I usually buy her singles.  I guess her first album was good.  According to Wikipedia, it had Lucky Star, Borderline, and Holiday.  3 pop classics for girls growing up in the 80s.

That album was my very first one that I had as a kid!   Though not sure my musical tastes at that point were very well-refined.  lol

I noticed there weren't a lot of female artists in this list.  Here are some of my favorites:

Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette

Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman

Sheryl Crow - Sheryl Crow

Tuesday Night Music Club - Sheryl Crow

Exile in Guyville - Liz Phair

whitechocolatespaceegg - Liz Phair

The Emancipation of Mimi - Mariah Carey

The above are not my taste, but on the theme & going back a bit further, I must add:

Blondie - Parallel Lines (because really great music, not because Debbie Harry was smokin' hot)

Pretenders - Pretenders (Chrissie Hynde = awesome)

The Bangles - All Over the Place (they made some crap later, but could really rock early on)

Dave

I thought about Madonna but I usually buy her singles.  I guess her first album was good.  According to Wikipedia, it had Lucky Star, Borderline, and Holiday.  3 pop classics for girls growing up in the 80s.

Yeah, I really wanted to say Like a Prayer...but I always end up skipping a song or 2...

And I also really wanted to say Sinead's I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got...but I gotta be in the right mood to hear the title track (which, is thankfully the last song) - otherwise it's...just.too.much. Otherwise I think it's a solid album.

I noticed there weren't a lot of female artists in this list.  Here are some of my favorites:

Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette

Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman

Sheryl Crow - Sheryl Crow

Tuesday Night Music Club - Sheryl Crow

Exile in Guyville - Liz Phair

whitechocolatespaceegg - Liz Phair

The Emancipation of Mimi - Mariah Carey

I think you're touching on an interesting point, and it's something I've mulled over in my own musical tastes. I don't have a lot of albums by women that I think are front to back players. Do you think music artists tend to resonate more with members of their same sex?

That said, I have plenty of albums by female artists. Here are a handful albums I frequently return to:

Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope

Feist - The Reminder

Patti Smith - Horses

Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie

Camera Obscura (Band with female lead) - My Maudlin Career

Beach House (Band with female lead) - Bloom

Julia1971

I don't know.  It could just be the demographic of RA and genres.  (I've also noticed the dearth of country music recommendations on the music threads).  A lot of the bands mentioned seemed to be heavy metal/rock bands and maybe there are fewer female leads for them?

She's So Unusual - Cyndi Lauper.

Do you think music artists tend to resonate more with members of their same sex?

Thats rad

Thread within in a thread, threadception. Well for the Foo fans on here, whats is their best album? General consensus is that The Color and the Shape is #1, but did Wasting Light beat that out?

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

In absolutely no order:

Drive - Bela Fleck

Workingman's Dead - The Grateful Dead

Blue Lines - Massive Attack

Hate to See You Go - Little Walter

Liquid Swords - GZA

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Workin with the Miles Davis Quintet

Atlanta 12 String - Blind Willie McTell

Odelay - Beck

I'm a huge fan of Ani Difranco, but she doesn't have one album I like most.

If you're a fan of Drive by Bela Fleck, look for a copy of The Superpickers from April 11th, 1989 on bt.etree.org. This combination is Tony Rice, Bela Fleck, Sam Bush, Alison Krause, Jerry Douglas and Mark Schatz (sp?). That's basically the same line-up as on Drive, with the addition of Allison Krause. Out of this world 120mph bluegrass picking.

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

That superpickers concert isn't on bt.etree.org anymore. Here's a link to it.

http://www.shnflac.net/details.php?id=8da083cdfab891ad7298893b636d2010079cfafe

Sorry, not sure how to do hyperlinks here, so you'll have to cut and paste, but well-worth it.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Thread within in a thread, threadception. Well for the Foo fans on here, whats is their best album? General consensus is that The Color and the Shape is #1, but did Wasting Light beat that out?

Colour and the Shape is #1 for me, but Wasting Light is a darn, darn fine contender.  Though it's worth noting, I don't own all of their albums for comparison.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Mostly harmless

Steely Dan - Aja

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Pink Floyd - Animals

Yes - Close To The Edge

King Crimson - Discipline

10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe

The Doors - Waiting For The Sun

Neil Young - Zuma

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Cream - Fresh Cream

Led Zeppelin  - IV

You have excellent taste.

I'd also add Jackson Browne - Running on Empty.  I'm not a huge JB fan, but this is a great listen while driving.

also

King Crimson - The Power to Believe

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories)

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Mostly harmless

I would add Porcupine Tree Fear of a Blank Planet as a more recent perfect album. No weak songs on it, everything is quite listenable and flows together.

Another PT fan on this board! woot!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

beat

Break on through

You have excellent taste.

I'd also add Jackson Browne - Running on Empty.  I'm not a huge JB fan, but this is a great listen while driving.

also

King Crimson - The Power to Believe

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories)

Ha ha.... thanks! - I do realize it just means we like some of the same kinds of music.   But yeah - you can count me as another Porcupine Tree fan.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."