My daughter is a genius! (Read 910 times)

The Greatest of All Time

One morning last fall I made pancakes for breakfast on a Sunday morning. As my 13 year old daughter brought her non-empty plate to the kitchen sink I asked "did you get full?" To which she responded "you're only supposed to eat until you're no longer hungry." The simplicity and obviousness of that statement hit me like a ton of bricks. Since then I have never eaten an entire meal at a restaurant and am much leaner as a result. It looks like some other folks feel the same way... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23449358/
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

My legs are killing me

One morning last fall I made pancakes for breakfast on a Sunday morning. As my 13 year old daughter brought her non-empty plate to the kitchen sink I asked "did you get full?" To which she responded "you're only supposed to eat until you're no longer hungry." The simplicity and obviousness of that statement hit me like a ton of bricks. Since then I have never eaten an entire meal at a restaurant and am much leaner as a result. It looks like some other folks feel the same way... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23449358/
      That's a good quote! Never heard of it before but it's right on. Smart girl. You really can learn alot from your kids.

Big Chicken!

I have found that eating on smaller plates helps with that. I seriously eat my meals on the kids' Spongebob and Princess plates. My cereal goes in the Blue's Clues bowl (the kids gave that one to me!). Didn't miss the extra food. MY eyes sees a full pate, my brain processes it as a full plate so thinks it will be full. Then my belly is full! I've lost 30 lbs with this (in conjunction with running and my new gym fave, the rower). I think kids instinctively know when they are full. It's the "clean your plate even though I gave you an adult sized portion and your just a kid" club that teaches kids to eat till they are popping buttons. Just cook less food. If you, or they, are still legitimately hungry after finishing the meal have a piece of fruit or cheese. I have saved lots of $$ cooking smaller amounts! Just a thought. Modified to fix my poor spelling this AM. Hope I got it all. Having an off morning.
        Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

Another Passion

Two years ago I followed this very thinking and lost like 22 pounds without a ton of running. Somehow, I got back in my old habits of overeating. Roll eyes I should give your daughter's sage thinking a try again.

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

A Saucy Wench

I consider it great progress that I no longer LIKE being full, even though I am not always successful in stopping when no longer hungry

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The Greatest of All Time

I consider it great progress that I no longer LIKE being full, even though I am not always successful in stopping when no longer hungry
              I can't stand the feeling of having a full stomach. I absolutely hate it. I don't even pig out on Thanksgiving anymore. One plate with reasonable sized (small) portions and that's it. Now, I might eat a second plate 4 hours later, but that's a different story Big grin

Ringmaster

You know, I asked my ped about getting my 2yo and 4yo to eat more, and he said the single best thing I can do for them is not to train them to keep eating when they're full. Put a good meal in front of them. If they say they're full, take it away. If they say they're hungry again in an hour, reheat the healthy food, and offer it again instead of giving them different snacks--that way they're not learning they can avoid eating meals to eat snacks. But yes, he thinks one reason so many kids are walking around overweight is the whole "clean plate club." That, and the eradication of physical education . . . but that's another thread. I eat on their plates too. It's a mental thing, but really, if a healthy portion is the size of a deck of cards, I'd rather see it on a six-inch plate than a ten-inch plate. Smile

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

A Saucy Wench

I can't stand the feeling of having a full stomach. I absolutely hate it. I don't even pig out on Thanksgiving anymore. One plate with reasonable sized (small) portions and that's it. Now, I might eat a second plate 4 hours later, but that's a different story Big grin
                  I'll admit to having some binge issues still. 55ish lbs gone but some baggage still remains. I hate being overstuffed, but I will occasionally still do it. It's still progress, I used to actually LIKE that feeling. And oh yeah on the clean plate club. My parents were strict clean platers. I dont mind when dd doesnt want to eat...I just wish I could get her to try more variety.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The Greatest of All Time

But yes, he thinks one reason so many kids are walking around overweight is the whole "clean plate club." That, and the eradication of physical education . . . but that's another thread.
                    I was raised in the "clean plate club". At my house you didn't get to leave the table until the food was eaten. But: 1. I was rarely fed crap as a kid. At every dinner I had one vegetable and one fruit along with the main course. I also had to drink a glass of milk at dinner. I almost never had soda as a child. When I did it was a treat on the weekends and my dad would buy a whole 2 liter for the 4 of us. 2. I was a very active child that was very involved in sports and didn't ever want to sit in the house like kids these days. I don't mean to get off on a rant, but I can't believe how many obese kids I see these days. And I often see them at the grocery store with their obese parents loading up the cart with crap food. It's sad. If the parents have poor eating habits and are inactive, these kids don't stand a chance. I was fortunate enough to have a father that worked out EVERY day and had a body like Rocky almost all of my childhood. And like father like son, I work out almost every day and have the same weird eating habits that he always had.

A Saucy Wench

I never got junk either...and I was an overweight kid. My parents were super health nuts. Homegrown everything, organic and whole grain before they were popular. Salad with every meal plus a green veggie or two. But they served me oversized portions for adults. And they were overweight and inactive. As much as I think when you need to lose weight it is 80% diet and maybe 20% exercise, I think for modeling for your kids it might be more about the activity than the food. Although the food makes me roar. Dont get me started on the people feeding their kids crap. Otherwise I'll have to tell you about my confrontational moment in a Target over nursing my son...

dfffff

I can't seem to eat enough. When I'm home over the summer, my parents keep saying that we're going to go broke trying to feed me.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'll admit to having some binge issues still. 55ish lbs gone but some baggage still remains. I hate being overstuffed, but I will occasionally still do it. It's still progress, I used to actually LIKE that feeling. And oh yeah on the clean plate club. My parents were strict clean platers. I dont mind when dd doesnt want to eat...I just wish I could get her to try more variety.
                          Sounds just like what's going on in my head. My DS is like your DD, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I can't seem to eat enough. When I'm home over the summer, my parents keep saying that we're going to go broke trying to feed me.
                            PH, I remember my mom saying this about my brother from about the age of 13 until he graduated from college and was completely out of the house. He can STILL eat a heckuvalot of food...and he's almost 32. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

It is a much better way of eating, you're right, but I still have trouble with it. I've had success lately doing what the last part of the article says, and getting the external clues to work for me. I've been NoS'ing for right at a year now. I've dropped about 15 lbs in the process. I'm not successful every day, but it's much easier to keep going back to that the Weight Watchers that helped me lose a lot of weight in the first place. I have at least learned to be appropriately uncomfortable when I get too full, like you said, so I mostly avoid binges, but I still have my days now and then.
                              Brandon