Wineglass or Steamtown? (Read 150 times)

RunsOnStarbux

Hi All

Starting to think about a fall marathon, which will be my first full marathon.  Reading a lot of great things about both Wineglass and Steamtown.  Penny for your thoughts?

Feeling the growl again

The management of Steamtown is top notch and it is a great event.

That said, I would not recommend if for your first marathon unless you run a ton of hills.  The first seven miles you are quite literally falling off the mountain; it is extremely hard on the quads, though it is easier on you the slower you are going.  If you do run a lot of downhills, as I said it is a well-run and enjoyable event.

Can't comment on Wineglass, I know nothing about it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hoban-Jay

I don't know anything about the SteamTown Marathon, but the WineGlass is spectacular.  The Finger Lakes area is just amazing in the autumn.  The course is slightly downhill most of the way from Bath to Corning.  If there is a wind, it will be mostly coming off the lakes....meaning a tailwind.  There are a few local spectators, but not many, but plenty of places for freinds and family and/or loved ones to stop and watch and cheer you on.  The finish line festivities are very good as well, with all finishers receiving a glass medalion and etched wineglass (Corning Glass...) and a bottle of champgne from a local winery.

No Talent Drips

I've run Wineglass twice. Great race. The course is flat to downhill with one or two bumps along the way. A very gentile course. Weather is typically good that time of year...though one year (2011) it was torrential rain with temps in the low 40s. Finishes in a great community (Corning) with plenty of places to go celebrate.

It's my current PR.

Dei Gratia

RunsOnStarbux

Thank you for the feedback.  I knew Steamtown had a significant course elevation drop, but didn't realize it was that much.  Looks like the first 7 miles drop quite a bit.

Kalsarikännit

A very gentile course. 

If anyone is looking to race in their wicking kippah, they may want to hit Steamtown.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

Thank you for the feedback.  I knew Steamtown had a significant course elevation drop, but didn't realize it was that much.  Looks like the first 7 miles drop quite a bit.

The overall elevation drop would not be so bad if it was spread out over the whole race.  I went there specifically because of the drop.  But it only took me a couple miles to realize the drop was beyond productive.  If you are slower than 3:30 or so it may be a positive for you.  But the faster you get the harder it is on you.  I pretty much jogged in from 7 miles, my legs felt worse there than they ever have at the END of a marathon.  I talked to a 2:17 guy who dropped out at 17 but in the hotel afterward he could barely stay on his feet.

But the drop aside, it is a really top notch event.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

The overall elevation drop would not be so bad if it was spread out over the whole race.  I went there specifically because of the drop.  But it only took me a couple miles to realize the drop was beyond productive.  If you are slower than 3:30 or so it may be a positive for you.  But the faster you get the harder it is on you.  I pretty much jogged in from 7 miles, my legs felt worse there than they ever have at the END of a marathon.  I talked to a 2:17 guy who dropped out at 17 but in the hotel afterward he could barely stay on his feet.

But the drop aside, it is a really top notch event.

I ran Steamtown in 2007.  It was my first marathon and I finished in a little under 4 hours.  If it wasn't for the huge drop at around mile 4 (I think) it would not be so bad.  My legs were feeling it and I actually welcomed the couple of climbs at the end of the race.  But yeah it is a very well run event.  Not too crowded but enough runners so that you are never running all alone,  Other than that drop the only other thing that I did not like was about a mile of wood chip trail around mile 18.  Felt like running through quicksand.

I am not familiar with Wineglass but have heard good things.

Not at it at all. 

No Talent Drips

If anyone is looking to race in their wicking kippah, they may want to hit Steamtown.

Swoon

Dei Gratia

RunsOnStarbux

Thanks again for the feedback.  I like the timing of Steamtown a little better and I am enticed by the closer proximity (I live in Northern NJ), but the Wineglass course looks absolutely beautiful with some more forgiving downhills, and you guys are scaring me about the Steamtown elevation drop!  I would hate to feel beat up after the first 7 miles of my first marathon.  Both sound like fast courses though.. I guess with Steamtown you just have to run smart during those first miles - is that an accurate statement?

Prince of Fatness

Thanks again for the feedback.  I like the timing of Steamtown a little better and I am enticed by the closer proximity (I live in Northern NJ), but the Wineglass course looks absolutely beautiful with some more forgiving downhills, and you guys are scaring me about the Steamtown elevation drop!  I would hate to feel beat up after the first 7 miles of my first marathon.  Both sound like fast courses though.. I guess with Steamtown you just have to run smart during those first miles - is that an accurate statement?

I think that spaniel got it right when he said that the drop affects the faster runners more.  I finished in about 4 hours and other than that one significant drop around mile 4 I did not think that it was that bad.  I finished the race fine, although I will admit that my quads were pretty sore for a few days afterward, enough that I walked down stairs backward.

Honestly if this is your first marathon and you are looking more or less to finish intact you will be fine.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I guess with Steamtown you just have to run smart during those first miles - is that an accurate statement?

Yes.  Go into it knowing you need to be careful and you'll probably be fine.  You can go plenty easy and you'll still have fast splits those first miles.

For context I ran the fourth of fifth mile in 5:03 (wanted to run 2:24, or about 5:30 pace) and I was really trying NOT to run fast.  A lot of the guys with and behind me had a rough time with the course.  But the people I talked to in the 3:30 range did not seem to have as hard of a time with it.

BostonRnr

I have run both and prefer Wineglass. I agree with what everyone said about the early hills in Steamtown. If you tend to go out too fast, you will trash your legs and struggle in the later miles. There are a few big hills in the later miles that I had a hard time with. If you can control yourself and hold back on the early miles, you may do well. They say that lots of people BQ there. There's also a nice stretch in the middle that's on a trail, which was scenic and easy on the legs.

It poured the year I did Wineglass, so spectators were scarce. It was a pretty course (except for one stretch along the highway) and mostly flat. Corning is also a nicer destination than Scranton. The medal was unique...blown glass.

Both marathons were well organized. Good luck, whichever you choose!

For Wineglass, it was a well run race and if you have friends and/or family it's easy for them to see you at multiple stops and drop you at the start. The roads are open to traffic. The hills are insignificant and are the downhills except for this small, steep drop into a park I believe around mile 20 (it's short ~80-100m but steep).If it wasn't in early October and I'd have to train for it during the summer I would consider it again.

If you are a faster runner you'd also probably be running by yourself most of the race.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ha ha. Is such a thing actually made?  I wouldn't be surprised.  They could improve one's aerodynamics, too.  Would it be okay for them to be branded Adidas or Nike?