Weight Loss and Running (Read 1355 times)

I read an article yesterday via internet somewhere about this issue. The article confirmed that running is a great way to get in shape and to lose weight...BUT... It also said the longer you run your body begins to respond to your new found lifestyle. That essentially your body begins to preserve calories and burns them slower b/c it knows that you are going use them up. Basically, runners reach a point where losing weight becomes harder b/c the body gets so good at slow burning calories preparing itself for longer runs. Suggestions after Good Base to continue weight loss: Speed Work Weight Training Another Sport...(Basketball, Tennis were suggested) and of course cutting calories What is your take on this?
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

The Greatest of All Time

I agree. Over time your body becomes more efficient when performing the same exercises over and over, and thus less calories are burned. I am a 100% believer in all types of cross-training and of course, running at faster paces burns more calories as well. Weight lifting is an excellent choice for cross-training purposes or just in general. MTA: Also remember as you lose weight you burn less calories and also require less calories per day.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      JakeKnight

What Marcus said. Of course there's some truth to the article. But if you vary your speed in training, vary your diet, and cross-train ... it won't much matter. One thing that always worked for me: don't restrict calories at the same level every day. I discovered that when I did that, my body adjusted. Now I eat whatever I want one day of the week - and my body gets tricked into thinking I'll be shoving that many calories in it later, and seems to burn more during the rest of the week. That and doing hills, strength-training, and running at different speeds pretty much takes care of it.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

Now I eat whatever I want one day of the week
          Required for sanity and it works as JK advertises.

It's true but they are only telling you about one part of the equation. There is a factor in running performance called "Running Economy". This simply means the amount of oxygen consumed per mile run at a given pace. Indirectly, it means the amount of calories burned per mile. Train more, and you have a more efficient running economy. Lose weight, and you have a more efficient running economy. So if a overweight person starts running and loses weight, and trains themself to be better at running, they will burn significantly less calories per mile than when they started. Here's what they don't tell you: As running economy improves, you run much faster, and can run more distance in the same time. In effect if you are running at the same intensity (effort), you will burn the same amount of calories. Take a 300 lb guy who runs a 12:00 mile. Due to his weight he burns 237 calories per mile. In an hour at an aerobic pace he runs 5 miles and burns about 1185 calories. But if he lost 100 lbs and was able to run an 8 minute mile, he'd run 7.5 miles an hour at an aerobic pace. Since he lost the weight, his RE has improved and he burns 158 calories per mile. But since he is running 150% of the distance in that hour, he is burning the same 1185 calories. (all numbers from the coolrunning calorie calculator)
            "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."
            JakeKnight

As running economy improves, you run much faster, and can run more distance in the same time. In effect if you are running at the same intensity (effort), you will burn the same amount of calories.
              That's a great point.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

C-R

I agree with all of the post here so far (hey I've been called a yes man once before - only once and that person still has nightmares but I digress Clowning around). Oh, and I never joke and please don't call me Shirley. Big grin My father-in law is a physician and I've bounced this off him on several occassions that I can't seem to lose weight beyond a point. His response is that your body finds an equilibrium of excercise effectiveness and calorie expension - since I'm just a simple engineer he rephrased and said my body has become more efficient due to the exercise and will burn calories at a different rate than when I was trying to get better. He also said that to help burn calories you need a change in application (cross training, changing the run types, etc.) and watch the calories consumed. Some of us were big believers in "I run therefore I eat" and guess what - it didn't work that way for me. So I work in trail running, swimming and soccer as well as actually watch my portion sizes. I still eat almost anything but I cut down the sizes. That one I got out of a book called Why Fench Women Don't Get Fat. That was my DWs book, I just browsed through it in the loo one day. So far so good. I wonder if there isn't a limit to the weight loss/maintenance and body efficiency much like reaching the edge of an intergral solution. The elites don't seem to have much body fat left but I don't know their diets and Ultraman Dean K seems to have reached stability. Just curious since they a really the test lab for something like this.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The Greatest of All Time

My father-in law is a physician and I've bounced this off him on several occassions that I can't seem to lose weight beyond a point. His response is that your body finds an equilibrium of excercise effectiveness and calorie expension - since I'm just a simple engineer he rephrased and said my body has become more efficient due to the exercise and will burn calories at a different rate than when I was trying to get better.
                  Trent and I tossed this very subject around a couple of months ago: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/fba5dd9e4a2c4dc0b1bc709723ac34a3 Since that time I gained another 6 pounds of pure muscle while running about 70 miles per week. I am still baffled.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I had convinced myself that my "set point" was 170 pounds. I'm 5'-8 1/2" tall. I started out at 180, and found that running alone didn't help me lose much. I began to watch what I ate, and the calorie restriction plus the running got me down to 150 after 6 1/2 months. That was in November. Since then, I've built up my weekly mileage to 30+ miles per week. I don't really worry about what I eat. I've lost another 5 pounds so I'm at 145 now, my lowest weight in 16 years. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months. I guess my set point isn't 170, after all! I do a stretching/strength class at the Y once a week, also.

The Greatest of All Time

I guess my set point isn't 170, after all!
                      I can't imagine any woman's genetic set-point is 170, well unless she's 6'5". Big grin Great job T. Just run a lot, eat only when hungry, and eat only until you're no longer hungry. Never eat until full.

C-R

Since that time I gained another 6 pounds of pure muscle while running about 70 miles per week. I am still baffled.
                        Must be that you are a running freak. Wink Since the world generally operates on the bell curve perhaps you reside in the 3rd or 4th standard deviation but my non scientific guess is that you had more muscle mass capacity left to build while upping miles. You make my point about the balance or equilibrium for each person. At some point, weight loss - assuming proper food intake - will be halted or reduced to a negligible percentage based on the efficiency and effectiveness of the body. At that point swings based on water retention or other items can be more significant movers of the scale.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I can't imagine any woman's genetic set-point is 170, well unless she's 6'5". Big grin Great job T. Just run a lot, eat only when hungry, and eat only until you're no longer hungry. Never eat until full.
                          Yes, I was definitely in denial! I'm also much better about not eating until I'm stuffed, even if it means not cleaning off my plate. MTA: I got annoyed at one of those shows where they try to help someone look better. The woman was very overweight, and whining about how she'd tried and tried to lose weight, but just couldn't. "This is just my natural weight!" And the show's host agreed! Blech, that's not going to do her any good.

The Greatest of All Time

Since the world generally operates on the bell curve perhaps you reside in the 3rd or 4th standard deviation but my non scientific guess is that you had more muscle mass capacity left to build while upping miles.
                            I am still baffled. I am sure if I stopped lifting I would have lost weight these last few months. I have gained a lot of upper body muscle before and then lost it when I resumed significant running and ceased resistance training. I could smell that I was losing muscle too because my sweat smelled like ammonia. In theory if I wanted to be a little faster I could reduce or cease resistance training and probably lose close to 10 pounds. But I don't race for a livning and DW really likes how I look now compared to before. Plus it took a lot of work to build what I have. My legs grow like weeds but my upper body grows as slow as glacial movement and takes a ton more work.

A Saucy Wench

Great job T. Just run a lot, eat only when hungry, and eat only until you're no longer hungry. Never eat until full.
                              I really really wish it was that simple for everyone. For me it is more like ...run a lot. Eat only when hungry, but not every time you are hungry. If I eat enough to not be hungry I will gain weight. If I eat very very very clean, never have a meal or snack without protein, and watch it like a hawk, I can manage to lose weight while being only mildly ravenous.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's interesting, Ennay. You certainly run a lot! Maybe I have a faster metabolism or something? I'm sure it will change as I get older, though.