New to this forum.... (Read 198 times)

Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself here.  I am mostly new to running,  started out walking and making better decisions about food in an effort to get myself in shape.  I never was a runner in my youth, I am 33 now, began walking and running about 2 years ago after reaching a weight that I never dreamed of getting to.  At 235 pounds I said enough.  I am now down to 197 and trying to maintain running as my exercise and fitness outlet.  I am no super star, my current pace is around 9:15 per mile, some days high 8 ' s and some days low 10 ' s. My goal is to get down to 160# range at 5'9".  I have done two road races, one 5 mile and one 5K.  I average right now about 4 miles per run but have been increasing my distance now.  I use treadmill when I am at work because I work on a ship, and I run on the road when I am home.  Hoping to find some connections here and or gain or offer some advice.  That's about that. Glad to be here.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Welcome to forum...

I recommend (if you want advice, otherwise ignore) is to slow down and work on distance and weight reduction. Forget speed altogether at this stage. Increasing distance and weight loss will increase your speed by themselves. It's ok to track your pace but don't pay too much attention to it as trying to get faster without the fitness can lead to injury.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

BeeRunB

Welcome, Finn. Normally we only like communicating with superstars around here, but we'll make an exception in your case since your weight-loss has been on a pro-level. Keep going! 

I apologize for not being a superstar... yet...  I also appreciate the advice, that's why I am here.  I have not concerned myself with speed, I am in it for the weight loss and building a better me.  I am quite happy with my current pace.  I ran a 5 mile race with my brother doing a half and my pace back in July of last year at around 220 or so was a far ways off, close to 12 min mile at that time.  I have slowly improved to where I am today and I try to listen to my body.  If I need to slow it down, I do.  I am hear to learn and seek motivation.   I have been on another forum. But the running section was fairly quiet so I figured I would join a running specific sight.

Colorado Gump

All About that Pace 2024

Hello Finn-  RA is a fantastic forum for learning about running.  Lots of threads you can look at.  A few items you might consider.

1)  Buy a decent running watch, not that expensive anymore.

2)  Keep track of the miles on your shoes even though you are doing a lot of treadmill running

3)  Consider joining your "local" running club so that you can find groups of people when you are not on the ship.

4)  Subscribe to Running Times or Runners World for more reading on the sport.

5) Pick a couple of target races for 2015.  This can help you focus your training and up your mileage

6) Whatever the smarter runners on this Forum think.

Good luck!

I do not have a running watch at this time.  Currently I use Nike+ Running app on my phone to track my runs and distance on my shoes.  I have purchased runners world magazines but not subscribed to it yet.  I have been wondering about when my shoes will need to be changed out for new, I've got about 200 miles on my current pair.  I have definitely been enjoying the road this spring, I have a 4.5 mile loop and and 5.25 mile loop which both incorporate some long uphill stretches and plenty of terrain changes which seem to be testing my muscles.  I am looking to combine the two routes soon, combined it will be 6.5 mile route, uphill downhill,  flat ground and nice country side to run through.  I am looking at a road race on May 9th.  I am looking to do either a 10k or half.  Depends on how I feel as the time nears and how my training is closer to that time.   I have been running pretty consistent for going on 6 months now but furthest distance to date has only been 7 miles.

bhearn

Sounds like you are doing fine. If you are looking for more structure or direction, you might consider finding a training plan for your next race, once you decide on which one it is.

I started running (a few years after my own weight loss) when I got talked into joining a team entry for a 10K. Prior to that running had been a chore that I never stuck with. I discovered that having a goal, and a training plan, made all the difference. By the time the 10K came around I was already up to 13 in training, per the plan, so next I did a half... then a marathon... 11 years later I mostly run ultras, with the occasional marathon thrown in when I want something faster. But running is a huge part of my life now; I couldn't imagine not running.

Have fun! RunningAhead is a great resource when you have questions. Also just to see what other people are doing, how they are training.

King of PhotoShop

I wish we had more people like you to join, post and share your progress.  Thank you for joining in, and best wishes to you.  There are many very good runners here, but also many new runners too, and it's quite a welcoming community.   Let us know how you are progressing.  You are as important to a forum as the elites.  Keep at it.  Spareribs

runmichigan

I do not have a running watch at this time.  Currently I use Nike+ Running app on my phone to track my runs and distance on my shoes.  I have purchased runners world magazines but not subscribed to it yet.  I have been wondering about when my shoes will need to be changed out for new, I've got about 200 miles on my current pair.  I have definitely been enjoying the road this spring, I have a 4.5 mile loop and and 5.25 mile loop which both incorporate some long uphill stretches and plenty of terrain changes which seem to be testing my muscles.  I am looking to combine the two routes soon, combined it will be 6.5 mile route, uphill downhill,  flat ground and nice country side to run through.  I am looking at a road race on May 9th.  I am looking to do either a 10k or half.  Depends on how I feel as the time nears and how my training is closer to that time.   I have been running pretty consistent for going on 6 months now but furthest distance to date has only been 7 miles.

Runners World tends to provide more articles for the beginner while Running Times tends to provide more articles for the intermediate runner.  They are owned by the same company, so the content does overlap to a degree.  With that said, I personally do not find a subscription to be worthwhile.  Just buy them when you see an article that interests you.

A rough rule of thumb is that shoes last for 500 miles.  The midsole is likely to give out sooner than the sole.  If you start feeling aches and pains at earlier than 500 miles, you might want to consider a new pair then.  Many hard core runners suggest having multiple pairs that you rotate in order to have the shoes last longer.  That is a big debate between runners though.

I recommend developing additional courses to run on.  Having multiple course helps to keep the running fresh.  You might also consider reversing directions on a course you use.  This can make it seem like a whole new course.

Good luck in your running and races.

I plan to stay as long as I am welcome.  I am a member at livestrong.com as well but the running section is really quiet over on that forum.  Today was a longer run for me, 7.16 miles.  Around an 11:20 pace.  Nothing serious, trying to figure out if I have the stamina for a half marathon yet.  I believe I do if I maintain a 10 to 11 min pace.  I have started adding my run history to my account, but it takes a bit of time to add all those runs but in due time I will try to play catch up.

I have started a few different loops which I run currently,  a 5.2 mile loop, a 4.5 mile loop, and today's 7+ mile stretch.  I have run them in reverse directions and plan on altering the direction on the loops every other time.  There are some long uphill grades on the loops as my local terrain is rather long grades of hills.  I have plans for a 3rd loop which will probably be in the 5+ mile range, haven't run it yet so not sure the final distance will be.  Thanks for the advice and motivation,  I appreciate it.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I have started adding my run history to my account, but it takes a bit of time to add all those runs but in due time I will try to play catch up. 

In the future, if you want specific advice based on your past runs, consider making your log public so that it can be reviewed by members offering advice. You log is currently private and can only be seen by you.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

I apologize,  my training history should be visible now.  I did not realize I had to click a box.  Sorry.

alevansal

Hey Finn -  I've no advice for you, as it sounds to me like you're doing just fine so far.  I just wanted to express a welcome.  I look forward to hearing about your running adventures.

It may seem small to some, but today I ran 9.65 miles in 1:36:20.  This would have seemed unattainable to me or ever silly a few years ago.  It's amazing what we can do with our bodies if we just set out to do so.

Finn,,     welcome to RA.

you are coming along very well.     1:36:20   9.65 miles-right around 10 mm pace.  you are very capable now to finish a 10k or HM, so then it's just a matter of  wanting to complete the distance or give all out effort.   You have already gotten very good solid advice so no reason to add any more at this point.  Keep in mind that like anything you do, you can experience alot of improvement in a short time at the beginning (first few weeks or months). Rate of  Improvement can continue if you keep at it but at some point in the future (months, years) that rate of  improvement will slow down.   keep it simple, keep it fun & continue on your progression upwards. and congrats on the weight loss!