forerunner 60 (Read 1628 times)

Otium cum dignitate

Any opinions?  I like the fact that it's smaller than my old 205 and is water proof; also, I just read an extensive review from DCRainmaker that makes it sound really good.  Other sources  say it can be difficult to calibrate and isn't as accurate as a GPS.  Is anyone who owns the watch willing to share their experiences with it?

I have one and so does my wife. I have yet to calibrate it but am finding that it is within 95% accurate out of the box. For example I went for a run on a route that I have done many times with my 301 and have laid it out on Google, RA and SportTracks to compare the distance. My FR60 recorded 3.25 miles and the route is 3.35 miles. My 301 has been outside of that range on many occasions from weak signals and bad data points. I'm at the point now that I don't really need my run route plotted out on a map for me to look at so not having GPS is perfectly OK with me.

I oriiginally bought it with the HR monitor and foot pod for treadmill workouts and like it alot. I also like the display as its easy to read. I got mine for new for $100 and figured I couldn't go wrong.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Otium cum dignitate

Wow, 95% accurate and you haven't calibrated it yet? That's pretty good.  Where'd you find one for $100?  I've been looking and haven't seen any prices below $150 with the footpod.

Also, after using a GPS, has needing to use a footpod been inconvenient, at all?  

Wow, 95% accurate and you haven't calibrated it yet? That's pretty good.  Where'd you find one for $100?  I've been looking and haven't seen any prices below $150 with the footpod.

Also, after using a GPS, has needing to use a footpod been inconvenient, at all?  

E-bay, Brand New in Box.

Not as inconvenient as waiting for satellites. Actually its not a big deal, I just clip[ it to my laces when I load up my workout bag in the morning. I rotate about three pairs of shoes so I am switching the foot pod around daily.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Otium cum dignitate

I guess I'll check out ebay.  Thanks for all the info.

Otium cum dignitate

Does no-one else own the FR 60 that's willing to describe their experiences with it (even if it's simply to agree with Burnt Toast)? 

The young Mama Bear!

Hi, staunen2,

I've had the 60 for about a month now and I really like it. The foot pod is small and people would have to look twice to see (or notice) it on your foot. I opted for the 60 over the other GPS-enabled models because I do the vast majority of my non-running cardio inside, at home. The 60 also has some really nice features, like calorie alerts. One beep and I know I've burned 100 calories. I can keep going. Sweet.

It also comes in really nice colors for both men and women. I originally had the men's red but then switched to the lilac. Both were very nice.

As for running, I've had a few problems with it and distance/pace. I'm not that slow, but Garmin says I am. I calibrated it twice. I don't know what's going on. Otherwise, I really like it. (It may just need some more calibration...who knows?)

Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

Otium cum dignitate

Thanks for the reply.  I tried one on in a local running shop today and it wasn't much bigger than my Ironman, which felt comfortable.  Combining that with its being waterproof and not subject to the whim of the satellites, and I think I'll be willing to take a chance on its accuracy if I can find it close to $100.  (Assuming, of course, that there isn't a sudden flood of opinion suggesting the watch should be avoided at all cost ...)

The young Mama Bear!

Scratch that, on flat surfaces it's just fine. I usually run integrated hills.

I say go for it, buy it from a place with a good return policy. Take it for a whirl. Some people insist on the fancier models, but for most people this is enough.

ETA: as for price, I don't know about that (I have no idea where you are so I can't say), but I got my foot pod bundle for about $200. You may be able to find it online for $175.

Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

Otium cum dignitate

Earlier in this thread Burnt Toast said he found one with a  footpod on Ebay for $100.  I've seen them on line in the last day or so for as low as $139, but will wait until the price goes a bit lower.  And yeah, I don't need all the bells and whistles, so the FR60 should fit the bill.  Thanks again.

The young Mama Bear!

Ah, I bought my in-store. I strayed away from Ebay when I was looking at a Polar as Polar won't respect the warranty if it was bought on Ebay. I figured the same thing went with Garmin. But best of luck, hope you enjoy it!

Ah, I bought my in-store. I strayed away from Ebay when I was looking at a Polar as Polar won't respect the warranty if it was bought on Ebay. I figured the same thing went with Garmin. But best of luck, hope you enjoy it!

I had trouble with the foot pod on my wife's FR60 and sent an email to Garmin. They gave me some instructions to rest the foot pod, but that didn't work. They sent me a new foot pod with no questions asked and that one has been working fine.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Otium cum dignitate

Burnt Toast:  the one you bought on Ebay wasn't a refurb, right?  There's one for sale there right now for $109, but it's a refurb and I'm not sure I want to take a chance on it.

Burnt Toast:  the one you bought on Ebay wasn't a refurb, right?  There's one for sale there right now for $109, but it's a refurb and I'm not sure I want to take a chance on it.

BNIB My auction is no longer visible if you check the "completed items" but there are a couple in the 105-115 range.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Otium cum dignitate

Well, I bought an FR60 on ebay for $94.99 today.  Even though it's listed as brand new and factory sealed, I almost balked at what seemed like "a too good to be true" price, but decided to go with it anyway and to trust if need be in the ebay buyer protection plan.  Hopefully I'll be running with it by the end of next week.  Thanks to Burnt Toast and Goddess9 for the assist.