11 year old - side stitches during races (Read 119 times)

Intentionally Blank

My 11 year old daughter loves running 5ks, and does one every month or so. She's not fast or competitive, but enjoys it. She runs 1 - 3 times a week, 1 - 4 miles at a time. She also does Kung Fu twice a week and bikes casually to and from school every day, about a mile round trip.

When we race, she frequently gets a side stitch. We've experimented with more and less hydration. Is it simply a result of very low mileage? She is not fast or competitive, but loves running. Any advice?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For me they've always been an issue of breathing.  I have a hard time running with other people, because I find that if I'm engaged in conversation while running that I'll frequently end up with side stitches.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My daughter has always gotten stitches, too, although they're not as bad as they used to be (she's 17).  I wish I could figure how what causes them!

Feeling the growl again

Often, if one coaches the kid to breath deep from the belly and keep their arms in good motion, it helps.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think they're a lot more common in kids (I used to get then all the time), but I don't know why. I think the contents of one's tummy as well as breathing rhythm and depth play a part.

I also used to regularly get side stitches as a kid.  I still occasionally get one, usually when running hard and long.  Deep belly breathing makes it go away.

JanaLamb

I thought stitches were pretty normal because it happened frequently. I heard it was just like cramps and thought it would go away in time. Maybe the best solution are breathing exercises?

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

A Saucy Wench

I got them a lot when I first started running.  Posture and breathing.  I found it helped a lot to breathe in on a 2 step count & out on a 3 or some combination that totalled an odd number.  I dont know if it was the breathing on alternating strides or the slowing that worked but eventually it became habit and I rarely had stitches after that.  Easy runs might be 3 and 4 steps, sprints might be 1 and 2, but keeping the odd pattern.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7