7K Training -Race April 12 (Read 39 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Should I use a 5k  or 10 k plan? 400m-800 m repeats? Should I do 600 m repeats since the distance is in the middle? The goal was to PR. The race moved to a new location. Get 1st in AG. I have 2 marathons and a 50K+ before race day. Will do a 5K Feb 14 to get an idea of my current condition /speed. 4 miler 7/14/14--32:02-8:01 pace. Looks like I will need a  ~7:43 pace- 33:30(PR 33:31-2010).

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

joescott

Either, but with your experience and like for longer distances maybe a 10k plan would be better than a 5k plan.  But, it's still a fast race.  When training for 5k I like quarters, as far as your question goes about 400 vs. 800m intervals, but it depends on what you're doing with them and what you're trying to achieve.  400s for speed.  Maybe 1000s or 1200s for max aerobic stimulation, with the rest intervals appropriate to each.  Good luck man!  Show those short distance dudes what an ultra guy can do!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Either, but with your experience and like for longer distances maybe a 10k plan would be better than a 5k plan.  But, it's still a fast race.  When training for 5k I like quarters, as far as your question goes about 400 vs. 800m intervals, but it depends on what you're doing with them and what you're trying to achieve.  400s for speed.  Maybe 1000s or 1200s for max aerobic stimulation, with the rest intervals appropriate to each.  Good luck man!  Show those short distance dudes what an ultra guy can do!

The goal is more speed. Will go with the 400m.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/