New sneakers - half on Saturday! (Read 115 times)

roadrunnermom

Well, not new as in new brand/model, new as in replacing the same sneakers that were worn out. I’ve been wearing the Saucony Triumph’s for a while and they recently came out with the Triumph 10. Since my Triumph 9’s were wearing out, I ordered the Triumph 10’s online a few weeks back and wore them for about 30 miles. They felt slightly bigger than the previous model in the same size, but I still wore them and experimented with different lacing. I wasn’t sure what to do, so I asked my friend who works in a running store to check them for me and he said I probably could go down a half size, but it was not mandatory. Since we were not in the store, he suggested I stop in and try on the half size smaller. I did that today and they felt much better, and the salesperson said I should definitely go with the smaller size. The issue is that my half marathon is Saturday. If I ran an easy run tomorrow morning in these new shoes, and maybe wore them to work tomorrow (lucky it’s casual Friday at work), do you think I’d be ok for the race? My friend who works in the store seems to think so and said that it’s a myth that you need to “break in” new running shoes, especially since I did not change the brand/model, I just went down a half size. Thoughts?

I've got a fever...

Shoe makers tweak their models with new revisions, as evidenced by the fact that the Triumph 10s size differently than the 9s.  Unless you've done a decent amount of race-pace running in the new shoes as well as a long run, I wouldn't use them foe the race, especially a longer race like a half.

If it were a short race, or if you were replacing 9's with 9's, I'd say go for it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I'd run in them once or twice to make sure there are no pressure points or anything, then race in them. I've done that many times. Running shoes don't need to be broken in.

Runners run.

roadrunnermom

Thanks - I've already run several miles in the Triumph 10s, just the wrong size!! I'm just concerned that they're so new that they might give me issues, but when I start wearing the larger size, I jumped in and ran 9 miles with no issues.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I just got into a pair of 10's, never worn Triumph before.  One thing I immediately noticed was, they didn't need much "breaking in," if any at all!  Love 'em.

Anyway, sounds like you've got all the advice you need, but I think you'd be fine tomorrow in them, especially since you've run 9 with no problems.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Mmmmm...beer

While they don't need breaking in, I wouldn't trust them in a half until you've done a long run in them, but maybe that's just me.  I picked up a pair of Fastwitchs and was going to use them for my half last weekend, but I was only able to do a couple of short runs in them.  While they felt fine, I didn't want to take a chance on there being an issue after 10+ miles, so I stuck with my Kinvaras.  I have another half coming up in a few weeks, so I'll get a couple of long runs in with the Fastwitchs and see how they do and then use 'em for the next race.

-Dave

My running blog

2015 Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-37 10k | sub-1:23 HM | sub-3 M

roadrunnermom

Thanks for all the advice. Ran a few easy miles this morning and they feel fine.I also have them on now at work today, so I think I'm going to go for it. If this was a different model or brand, I would be more nervous. Just going to body glide a lot!! Thanks again.