Mapmyrun.com Question (Read 1707 times)

Just Be

Anyone know if that web site's mapping function compensates for the difference in ground altitude above the geoid (for all intents and purposes of this thread, the geoid can be synonymous with mean sea level)? If not, the distances reported will drift and become more inaccurate as elevation increases. The help section of the site talks about ascent and descent profile plotting but it doesn't mention where/how they get their data. I guess I could always just drive the routes in my car and compare the mapmyrun result. Tongue
    Carps10

Anyone know if that web site's mapping function compensates for the difference in ground altitude above the geoid (for all intents and purposes of this thread, the geoid can be synonymous with mean sea level)? If not, the distances reported will drift and become more inaccurate as elevation increases. The help section of the site talks about ascent and descent profile plotting but it doesn't mention where/how they get their data. I guess I could always just drive the routes in my car and compare the mapmyrun result. Tongue
      Mapmyrun usually ends up underestimating the distance because they don't take into account uphills and downhills in your run(their map is 2 dimensional.) Driving usually overestimates the distance because you can take a more direct route while running, while in a car you have to turn wide and follow the road exactly. My solution: average the two.
        Were you aware runningahead has a map program and that mapmyrun.com has a forum ? Before some one gets on your case, I still use mapmyrun when I run without a GPS. Big grin

Vim

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Mapmyrun usually ends up underestimating the distance because they don't take into account uphills and downhills in your run(their map is 2 dimensional.)
          I'm not gonna search for it right now, but there are a lot of old threads showing calculations that prove that the vertical component is negligible for all but the most severe of courses. Unless your're running Pike Peak or Mt. Washington, it just doesn't matter. And, of course, why in the would would anyone use Mapmyrun when RA has the same functionality?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Like Globule said. The error introduced by elevation change is insubstantial, especially when compared with the error introduced by plotting variability. It will be far less than 1% except on courses like the Pikes Peak Marathon, which has an average 11% grade over 26 miles. Do note that car odometer miles will have even greater variability than that introduced by the error from elevation change. Search function will reveal multiple mathematical proofs for this that have been posted over the years.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And the mapping tools here are better, faster and not inundated by a complex user interface and multiple ads. Here is the detail from a prior post - It does not really make much difference to include this in the distance calculations. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Doing the math: Grade is defined as rise over run, multiplied by 100. So a course that rises 100 feet over a mile is (100 / 5280) * 100 = 1.8% To determine the distance run on the hypotenuse of this route, you can apply the Pythagorean Theorum, which states that A^2 + B^2 = C^2 (where the notation ^2 means squared). So in a triangle formed on one side by the distance 5280 feet and on another side by the distance 100 feet, your hypotenuse = sqrt(5280^2 + 100^2) = 5 280.9. Catch that? A 2% grade, which is just over a 100 foot climb over a mile adds one foot to your distance. That is less than 0.1% error per mile, which is insignificant. That is less than a foot of error per mile. This may matter more on a nasty run, such as the Pikes Peak Marathon. The Pikes Peak Marathon includes a 13 mile climb up more than 7500 feet, with an average 11% grade. Assuming you actually do climb 13 miles in 7500 feet, let's determine the error. 13 * 5280 = 68 640 feet. Applying the Pythagorean Theorum, we get sqrt(68 640^2 + 7500^2) = 69 048.5 feet. That is a difference of 408.5 feet over 13 miles (31 feet per mile), or a 0.6% error. Or for a steady 10% grade over a mile: A = 5280 feet B = 0.1 * A = 528 feet C = sqrt((5280^2) + (528^2)) = 5306 feet So, by climbing a 10% grade for a whole horizontal gmap mile, you have added 26 feet. That is an additional 0.4%. Not worth it to me. I think that with these mapping tools, you are more likely to introduce more feet to your expected distance run by your mapping (im)precision rather than by the effects of elevation change. Most of your runs are 1-5% grade at most, and that only inconsistently as it rolls up and down. Those are likely to have <0.1% error.>
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mapmyrun usually ends up underestimating the distance because they don't take into account uphills and downhills in your run(their map is 2 dimensional.) Driving usually overestimates the distance because you can take a more direct route while running, while in a car you have to turn wide and follow the road exactly. My solution: average the two.
                No, this is not why MMR or RA underestimate elevation change, and, as above, the distance estimate is pretty good. There are multiple ways to get elevation: Here is how the GPS measures. When running, the GPS device triangulates its position from satellites. The position it determines is supposed to be accurate to within 1-2 meters, but we all know that is hogwash in the hills and among trees. But usually it gets a trend from point to point, so while a single point may be off, the trend of several points are usually correct (e.g., they draw a line parallel to the road 20 feet north of the road). The GPS device records a point every 1-5 seconds. The point it records includes these data, derived from triangulation: Lat, Long, Elevation, Time. These Elevation data are fairly innacurate relative to the Lat and Long. To determine elevation, it simply adds all the change between Elevation points. This tends to overestimate elevation change substantially. Motionbased.com applies a correction when you upload the data. Motionbased essentially removes the elevation data from the points and replaces it with reference data from the USGS. The reference data is far more accurate than the data derived from triangulation. Again, elevation change is calculated as the total difference between points. RunningAHEAD.com and MapMyRun.com calculate elevation change by looking at points only every 1/10 mile (~ every 45-60 seconds) and comparing them to reference USGS data. This tends to underestimate elevation change if the course rolls a lot since there can be big up/downs in a 1/10 mile. When I run a local hill that starts at around 670 feet elevation and peaks at about 870 feet elevation (this course, the hill at mile 3), there is 200 feet of net gain, but there are numerous small rolls that do not show up on my RunningAHEAD.com map, do show up on Motionbased.com (also google/USGS based) that says the total climb is about 250 feet. My legs feel like 30000 feet of climb, but that is besides the point. So, what is the truth? Should every 20 foot climb is added in the elevation calculations? Well, that is more a philosophical question than a scientific one. My legs say yes.
                  Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead. Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. Man in Black: You've made your decision then? Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. Vizzini: Wait til I get going! Now, where was I? Man in Black: Australia. Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. Man in Black: You're just stalling now. Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. Man in Black: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work. Vizzini: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THE POISON IS!

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Just Be

Were you aware runningahead has a map program and that mapmyrun.com has a forum ? Before some one gets on your case, I still use mapmyrun when I run without a GPS. Big grin
                    I was aware, yes. It seems to use the same map as mapmyrun.com, but without the ads. All the answers in this thread are great, but my question was about total average elevation above mean sea level rather than elevation profile variability during a single run. For example, if the runningahead or mapmyrun maps do not take into account the local average terrain elevation above mean sea level then there will be significant error between 2, 1 mile points plotted at say, Chicago, vs. New Orleans. This is what my original question was about. I still haven’t had time to drive any of my running courses in my car yet. Tongue
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am not certain, then, I understand your question or your assertion that linear distance changes with distance from sea level.
                      JakeKnight

Are all the threads in here making no sense at all today or am I have acid flashbacks again? Is the Chicago marathon shorter or longer than one in New Orleans? Does New Orleans have a marathon? Do they serve gumbo and crawdads? I'm going to try one more thread, and it better make sense. Or I'm going back to sniffing glue.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

And the mapping tools here are better, faster and not inundated by a complex user interface and multiple ads.
                          I would completely disagree with this statement. The forums here are much better, as is the log ( though it's still not something I use religiously ). The mapping function here is not even close to mapmyrun. There are several features that mmr has that I requested here when I joined. I was told that they were "in the works" but have seen no progress in the six months or so since. As for the ads, I'm always amazed when people complain about ads online. For the love of god just use Firefox w/ adblock. It's an infinitely better browser than IE anyway and you never have to deal with online ads again.
                          And who am I anyway?
                          Just another fat jogger, evidently.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I use Firefox. I have adblock on. I still see ads. What features here are missing? And regardless, I am still not sure I understand how the length of a mile varies with elevation above sea level.
                            JakeKnight

I use Firefox. I have adblock on. I still see ads. What features here are missing?
                              Ditto. Firefox, ad blocker, and out of curiosity I went over to Burger King (ahem) and my screen is blitzed with ads. Big flashy annoying ones. So I search for a Nashville map, pull it up ... and surprise, surprise, it was uploaded by one "Rosenbst" And I can't really see the map, cuz I have to look past at least 5 different ad banners. Yuck.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

For example, if the runningahead or mapmyrun maps do not take into account the local average terrain elevation above mean sea level then there will be significant error between 2, 1 mile points plotted at say, Chicago, vs. New Orleans. This is what my original question was about.
                                This makes zero sense. Are you suggesting that because Chicago is higher above sea level (and thus, closer to the satellite taking the picture Confused ) than New Orleans, the scales on the maps are wrong (parallax effect). If if were true, (and I don't' think it is because the street maps are based in statute, surveyed distances), the difference would surely be negligible.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.