bruised wrist from Garmin 305, anyone have this problem too? (Read 1028 times)

I recently got a Garmin 305, and I noticed that my wrist was bruised a bit after my long run (20mi) (I have small wrists). It was still a bit sore for my next run two days later; uncomfortable enough for me to try wearing it with the face on the inside of my wrist instead the next time. While this felt slightly better, I couldn't read the display well. Anyone have this issue and have suggestions for what to do? thx.

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin

Try wearing the Garmin over a sweat band. I've never had a problem but then I have large wrists.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I have small wrists too and had this problem - but after about 5 times out with the garmin it stopped hurting, now I don't notice it at all - i think i just needed to adjust to it. Don't wear the garmin too tight and give it a few runs - see if that helps.
        "A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." - G. K. Chesterton

Non ducor, duco.

omg! My DH thought I was nuts when I told him that I was bruised from the thing. It was made worse by the fact that I begged for one for weeks and weeks. I like my watch to fit tightly but I have found with the Garmin that I have to loosen it so it doesn't do that. Also, if I wear it on my right arm it seems to not bruise.
            thanks for the suggestions. I would have never thought of loosening the band (or trying a sweat band, for that matter). glad to affirm that you're not crazy, andahuff. or at least join you in the oddity of the bruised wrist syndrome.

andyndallas

I wear mine looser and keep it pushed up a little on my arm to keep it from sliding down onto my wrist. Has not been sore yet.
              ...and miles to go before I sleep
                I had this happen on my last long run. I was bruised for a couple of days. I didn't even notice that it was hurting me until about an hour after the run. Maybe I'll try the sweatband idea. Smile

Michelle

I will concur with all of you. The design of the 305 is not good for someone with small wrists. For a man I have extremely small wrists and had the "bruising" at first until I loosened the band by one notch and it has been fine since. If you like the band tight (as most small wristed people do) the wrist band is an option or a small piece of foam placed between the watch and wrist. I found that a piece of moleskin worked to both soften the Garmin and also take up a bit of looseness.
                  Vista
                    I tried loosening the band. It worked but would take a bit of getting used to. Today, I ran with a long sleeve shirt and had the garmin on top of the sleeve --- worked great. Unfortunately, there's not much more long-sleeve weather here any more though (or ever, come to think of it), so I think I'll try the wrist band idea next. yeah, more things to buy. Smile

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Yes, this happens to me too! In fact, I was thinking today that maybe it'd be worth it to buy the 405 just because it's smaller. DH would have a heart attack, but I wouldn't have a sore wrist! Wink
                      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                        that happens to me in the summer but in the winter, I strap it over my longsleeve. Eitherway, you get used to it. That's one reason I really like the 301 better...much better suited for smaller wrists with the velcro strap, and the face didn't roll over the writst making it easier to read.

Jennifer mm#1231

Prince of Fatness

I have the 205 and had the same problem. What I do is wear it a little higher up on my forearm. I just need to make sure that it is tight enough that it doesn't slip down to my wrist. That fixed it for me.

Not at it at all. 

Yes, this happens to me too! In fact, I was thinking today that maybe it'd be worth it to buy the 405 just because it's smaller. DH would have a heart attack, but I wouldn't have a sore wrist! Wink
                            I want the 405 just because its the new and improved model. My 305 works fine on me... but the new one looks even less nerdy than the 305, which in turn is less nerdy than the 301. That is the Garmin pecking order. I wonder if you could replace the Garmin stock straps with a velcro wristband?
                              I wonder if you could replace the Garmin stock straps with a velcro wristband?
                              Good idea. May be able to: They give you a tool to pop the pins. I haven't been bruised, but I'm like Goldilocks. One hole just doesn't feel right, and the others are too small/big. May try sweatband for comfort.

Non ducor, duco.

: They give you a tool to pop the pins.
                                Is that what that thing is? I was gonna try to pick some locks with it.