Mountain races (Read 122 times)

i have a question that sounds so dumb, I feel I should specify that I am not trolling. I'm just curious.

So, like, this is a race, apparently:

Ouch

Has anyone ever done one of these? Do people actually run up the whole way?? Or is it more of a power hiking race? I've done races in the alps, but none where it was all uphill. (No, I am not going to do this. Though I did do 6x30 sec uphill the other day so obviously I'd be more than prepared.)

and in in case anyone was wondering how you get back down: you take the chairlift.

The distance and elevation gain actually looks pretty similar to the Mount Washington Road Race, which a bunch of us are running a week from Saturday. Although Mt. W doesn't have any flat parts, it's very consistently uphill at an average of 12% grade.

The leaders definitely run the whole way but there are plenty of people power hiking all or parts of it. Most people get a ride back down, although a few crazies run back down (I will not be doing that.)

Runners run

Thanks! That sounds painful. So do you have a strategy? Will you run the whole way?

After I posted, I had the bright idea to look at the results of the race I posted above; last year's winner finished in just under 1:05, so about 9 min/mile average. Definitely running. Ouch.

The distance and elevation gain actually looks pretty similar to the Mount Washington Road Race, which a bunch of us are running a week from Saturday. Although Mt. W doesn't have any flat parts, it's very consistently uphill at an average of 12% grade.

The leaders definitely run the whole way but there are plenty of people power hiking all or parts of it. Most people get a ride back down, although a few crazies run back down (I will not be doing that.)

I've done some hill climbs in the past and have done several climbs/rapid descents (which imo often defeat the purpose of the climb). Looking forward to a bit of a climb later this summer from 2382 to 4302 meters. Planning to do a fair amount of practice at high elevation, in addition to sustained efforts at an incline.

Thanks! That sounds painful. So do you have a strategy? Will you run the whole way?

My strategy is to go out a lot slower than I did the last time, and to try to run the whole way. I'm not ruling out walk breaks, even early in the race if I need them, but I'm not planning them in.

My one and only prior attempt at this race--8 years ago--was an utter disaster. I blew up before half way and never recovered. I was literally stopping to pose for pictures in the last few miles because my race was essentially over. I'm not fit right now but I still should be able to run 10+ minutes faster than the last time if I just run smarter and don't stop to take pictures or pick flowers.

The race is 7.6 miles and the rule of thumb is you should run it in about your half marathon time. I'm not even going to attempt that, since I think that rule applies mostly to experienced mountain runners which I am definitely not.

Runners run

xhristopher

Rather than looking at the speedometer for my Mount Washington race I'll be looking at the tachometer.

I've been training for my Mount Washington run with a heart rate monitor on my all uphill days. Instead of chasing any particular pace I'll just be working to keep my effort in a zone that would be similar to semi conservative half marathon effort. If that ends up as 15 minutes per mile or 12 minutes per mile it will be what it will be. That's my strategy.

BTW, I've never done one of these races so it could go all kinds of wrong.

Yea, something around 11% slope is runnable for a long time by elites. Mountain races around here are generally near 30% or more, sometimes 20% for shorter hills. The steepest ones do involve power hikes.

Here's how one of the top racers trained a couple years ago:

http://fasterskier.com/blog/article/wednesday-workout-sustained-level-3-efforts-with-the-man-the-myth-eric-strabel/

Some races are two way, some are uphill only, then jog / hike down (no road or tram), others are uphill only then tram down. Some training hills are run up, and you might have somebody shuttle, but most run down again.

(I haven't done any of the major mtn races here.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                jmctav23

2/3rds training

just over 4000 feet of gain in just over 7 miles...definitely steep and sustained, similar to the climbs out of the Grand Canyon.  From doing a few of those I've learned that you can keep a strong pace if you have a good strategy.  For me, I basically set a certain grade that I will run and anything steeper I will power hike, usually with poles, which helps considerably.  Anything less than hiking grade, I run...even if it's only ten or fifteen feet.  On switchbacked trails, this usually means hiking around a steep corner and then almost immediately breaking into a run as soon as the trail levels out slightly.  All of this goes out the window for someone who doesn't spend a lot of time logging a lot of vert as they would be gassed just hiking, but if you can hike and recover your heart rate at the same time, the amount of running you can sustain increases and pace gets quicker.

beat

Break on through

I ran the Ascutney Mountain race today.  It's like a half-Mount Washington.  3.7 miles and 2000 feet of climb vs 7.6 miles and 4000 feet of climb.  I kept a running stride the whole way - some very slow as it got steep!  If it is a paved road, I usually try to stay running.  If it is on trails, I'm more likely to walk the steep parts.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/c9850b9f68d34980949cc544edec07ed/workouts/6b38ad1f56f74329aef0515717e946bc

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."