Before and NOW pictures! (Read 22618 times)

JeffBP23

I spent over an hour reading this thread from page one. I guess it's time to contribute now after having lurked for so long.

I started running in July of '08 as a way to pass the time after quitting World of Warcraft. I received an acceptance letter from UC Berkeley and figured my 8 hour days behind the computer would be coming to an end. At that point I was 180 pounds (and stand 5'6" tall.) I went from jogging 5 miles per week to a height of 40 mpw. Later, to not ignore my upper body I incorporated some push-ups and sit-ups/crunches. At the beginning of Jan I got talked into attending a "boot camp" type fitness class called "total athletic conditioning" which incorporates sprint/stairs + core & any other crazy exercises in the instructor's head.

I fluctuate between 165-160 (former before exercising, later after exercising, then former after eating, it's a vicious cycle!) I run 15-25 mpw now but take the fitness class three times a week. This summer I started using the Concept 2 rowing machine and in the last couple weeks I also started lifting weights, primarily focusing on my upper-body. I feel a little awkward posting here because I'm not a hardcore distance runner, but without running I definitely would not be where I am and it's definitely not leaving my training regiment in the foreseeable future.

The first pic was taken in 2004 while I was in the navy. Strangely, I weighed around 165 then too.

The second pic was me at 180 shortly before I quit video games. I tried to suck in my gut but that didn't work well.

The "Now" pic was taken for something silly a few weeks ago. Hopefully in a month or so I get more meat on my arms.

I hope everyone keeps up the good work here!

p.s. learning to post pics here is tricky >_<

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think the rest of the ladies on RA will agree with me when I say "damn, I like the direction this thread has been going for the last couple of pages..." 

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

redleaf

I think the rest of the ladies on RA will agree with me when I say "damn, I like the direction this thread has been going for the last couple of pages..." 

What she said.

In all honesty though you are all inspiring!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

tomatolover

word!

Beware, batbear...

I hear you on the bouncing between 5 lbs one way and the other.  I've lost 20 or 25 lbs - depending on when I weigh myself.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of myself at the heaviest.

Great work!

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Thats why you are supposed to weigh yourself at the same time of day whenever you get on the scale. Its best to weigh in when you first wake up.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thats why you are supposed to weigh yourself at the same time of day whenever you get on the scale. Its best to weigh in when you first wake up after you poop and pee.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The fact that I'm posting this says alot about much I have changed on the inside over the past 7 months.  Here's the outside...

Before: (picture is from Spring 2008, but for all intent and purposes is me in Spring 2009) - Weight = 225ish

I had no idea how much better I could feel.

7 months, 470 miles and 45 pounds later....

Now:  November 8th, 2009 Roseville Big Bird run (with my lovely daughter) - Weight = 180ish

I still probably don't understand how much better I could feel, but I'm working on it!

“Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory." - Mahatma Gandhi

Impressive!

And you know what? Being skinnier will make the fish look bigger.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Impressive!

And you know what? Being skinnier will make the fish look bigger.

That made me laugh!

Great job, HockeyPlayer!  You look fabulous!

Run the race God set B4U

Awesome!  Great job!!!!
                        5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
                        wannaberunner

I look my best blurry!

Thank you everyone for the support it's been a long road. For anyone struggling with their running let me tell you I've been told many times by many doctors that the shape I was in is probably why I lived. Also, when they needed some fat to block off my sinus cavity that had been crushed and led to my brain they had to go in three times through my belly button to get enough. Apparantly in the operating room many nurses raised their hands to donate. That made me feel good.Take care!Scott

I don't know that you will see this, because it has been so long since you posted it, but I am feeling alot better about possibly having to have hernia surgery and missing a few weeks of running and possibly having a little scar on my belly.  Perspective is important.  I'm so glad you survived and are doing well.  I should know better than to complain.  Hope you are still OK and not having residual complications.  Thanks for sharing.

Life is Good

Wow I haven't looked at this thread in a while but it is definately one of my favorites...great job!

everyone looks amazing!

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

wannaberunner

I look my best blurry!

Me and a pal in July.  Always been a bit skinny but I'm definitely more toned.  I had been running 6 months.  It's been over a year now.  I am trying to build some muscle.  Rare bikini photo.  I don't know why I am sharing this.  Haven't even shown it to the girl in the pic with me.  OK dreamless.  Time for a pic of you.  He's lost 30 lbs!  Looking good!

(woosh gone!)

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus