Before and NOW pictures! (Read 22416 times)

&*^%$#@$#

Great job Shipo. Very inspirational.

Great job Shipo. Very inspirational.

Thanks!  Smile

Old , Ugly and slow

Great job.

You are my new role model.

I also running almost all my miles on dirt or crushed gravel.

I am amazed that you increased your miles so fast.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2014goals   1300  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Great job.

You are my new role model.

I also running almost all my miles on dirt or crushed gravel.

I am amazed that you increased your miles so fast.

Thanks, it sure didn't feel very fast while I was doing it; doubly so given how hot and humid it was last summer here in New Hampshire.

There was an interesting side effect of all of the back-to-back-to-back days of running; two days before last September's running of the 205 mile Reach the Beach Relay I got recruited as a replacement runner.  The thing was, I'd never heard of Reach the Beach, and based upon the confusing wording of the E-Mail from a coworker regarding his son's team, it sounded like they needed one more person to fill out a six-person team for a 36 mile relay.  I said to myself, "Hey, I can run six miles, I'll do it."  And I signed up.

The next day I found out what I had *actually* signed up for; to join a six-person "ultra" team where each person runs an average of about 36 miles during the event.  Yikes!  I knew I was doubly in trouble that Friday when they picked me up in the team van on the way up to Cannon Mountain, and I realized that I was the oldest (and heaviest) team member by and easy 25 years.

In the end I held my own, I wasn't the slowest (by far), and as the legs and mileage mounted (with roughly four to five hours of rest between legs), I got faster (I assume by virtue of all of my back-to-back training days).  They did take pity on me in that I had one of the shorter positions in that my six legs totalled *only* 32.8 miles, however, that also included nearly a half mile of vertical climbing thrown into the mix.

Mmmmm...beer

Great job shipo! 

-Dave

2014 Goals | sub-19 5k done! | sub-40 10k | sub-1:25 HM | BQ done! | sub-3 M

That is so inspiring, shipo!  Thanks for sharing!

Queen of 3rd Place

Great story, shipo!

Ex runner

Thanks folks, I appreciate the comments.  Smile