Charging a Garmin Forerunner 305 (Read 714 times)

The Irreverent Reverand

I'm about to take a three week cross country road trip and I'd like to pack as little as possible. The Garmin Forerunner 305 base has a USB chord that I plug into a wall outlet or into my computer. Can I plug that into the car charger for my iPhone? The iPhone car charger has a removable USB chord. The Garmin USB chord could fit into the USB slot on the iPhone charger plug that goes into the car cigarette lighter doohickey. My question is: would the charge level be the same, or do I risk frying my Garmin? 

I'm inclined to do it, but just wanted to ask before I went ahead ....

Thanks!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Goals for 2014:

Sub-3:30 marathon; run for a year free from major injuries or interruptions

PRs: 3:27 marathon; 1:41 half; 45:07 10K; 23:26 5K; 6:02 mile; <12 parsecs Kessel Run

I dont know the answer but I would tend to say NO...

I have the same problem ever year when i go to Colorado to visit my parents...and I always end up bringing the charger that plugs into the wall.........

Champions are made when no one is watching

day after day sameness

It will work, Chris. USB power out is a standard, and the Iphone USB charger will charge your Garmin.

Choosing my words carefully has never been my strength I've been known to be vague and often pointless

Mostly likely it will work. However, it is not true that USB chargers are universal across all USB devices. Despite that, the worse case outcome is that the charger just won't charge your Garmin, it will not fry it. I own a bunch of Moto stuff and some of them won't charge on non-Moto chargers, there's some voodoo circuitry going on there. Although all USB chargers output the same voltage (5V I think), they may support different amount of current (amp). Some devices, such as tablets with large batteries, require chargers with higher amp (I doubt this is an issue with the tiny garmin though).

The Irreverent Reverand

Thanks, all!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Goals for 2014:

Sub-3:30 marathon; run for a year free from major injuries or interruptions

PRs: 3:27 marathon; 1:41 half; 45:07 10K; 23:26 5K; 6:02 mile; <12 parsecs Kessel Run