2012 Gardening Thread (Read 1516 times)

We got 5 inches of rain across 3 storms in 2 weeks.  Stuff is actually green again, and I am more sane not having to water 24/7.

You're about to get hammered.  Too much water!

Jeff

Help!!

I live in Maryland, and want to find a plant that can  be potted and hung, that will last all seasons, be green, and look nice and have be inviting to birds. 

( tall order, eh ?)

We had to cut down a nasty bush, that the birds did not nest in, but  loved to hang out in.    

This has been hard to research.  We are also going ot put in some shrubs, but would really like something that we can hang.   This area of our house is really bare, and has a huge wide overhang that just screams hanging plants.  It's pretty sunny too.   But we mainly want somthing that we can set and forget. We have plenty of other areas with flowering plants. 

Any ideas, or should I just go to a garden store and ask the dweebs that work there?

- Anya

Prince of Fatness

I live in Maryland, and want to find a plant that can  be potted and hung, that will last all seasons, be green, and look nice and have be inviting to birds. 

( tall order, eh ?)

Not sure how much luck you with have with a potted plant outside in the winter ..... root ball will freeze and kill the plant.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

Hi Finn!

Prince of Fatness

Hi L-Train.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

You can now go back to discussing illuminating topics such as frozen balls.

Prince of Fatness

You can now go back to discussing illuminating topics such as frozen balls.

I caught yet another squirrel today.  Isn't that exciting?

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Back to gardening....

I dug up my Red Pontiacs last weekend.  They taste great but again crappy yield.

Those pumpkins that I planted turned out to be summer squash.  The neighbor planted them for me and got them mixed up.

My wife found a squash plant growing in the compost bin and transplanted it in the garden.  Turns out that it is butternut squash so she's happy about that.

Tomatoes were an absolute disaster this year.  The deer chewed them down pretty good and they never really recovered.  We got a few but that's it.

Not at it at all. 

I caught yet another squirrel today.  Isn't that exciting?

Male or female (the frozen balls comment for context).

Jeff

Back to gardening....

Tomatoes were an absolute disaster this year.  The deer chewed them down pretty good and they never really recovered.  We got a few but that's it.

Peppers finally doing something.  i don't get it.  Jalapenos have been doing good all summer...the sweet peppers though...nuthin

Maters - almost nothing until this week.  Lots of green fruit there that's turning daily.  But, still, terrible yield for 10 plants.  I think they're too close together.  Also, man, they're like 7 ft high.  Some are cracking from falling over.  Never had plants this tall before.  My cages are only 5 ft high.

Should be better next year since I'm expanding.

Cukes - not bad.  There's only one flower left now from the four plants, the vines are dying off.

Green and yellow squash - the plants are nice, about 6 " high.  I'm guessing that they won't bear fruit by the first frost.

Basil/Thyme/Rosemary - going like gangbusters...wonder if I can transplant that for the winter and grow it indoors...hmmmm

Jeff

Not sure how much luck you with have with a potted plant outside in the winter ..... root ball will freeze and kill the plant.

Thanks, that makes sense.

- Anya

So, I probably ask this question every year, but can't remember the answer.

I have a TON of green toms still on the vine.  They won't ripen.  I'm guessing it's too cold, not enough sun, etc.

In order to save them from frost (which will probably not happen tonight, but it will get DARN close, especially in the next few weeks), can i just pick them, stick them in a paper bag, and let them sit on my counter?  Will they ripen?

And no, I'm not going to fry them.

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

Will they ripen?

Not sure but there is only one way to find out.

We're supposed to get a hard freeze tonight.  Record lows.  I only have a couple of squash plants left in the garden and I think that tomorrow they will be history.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Funny that this thread gets bumped today.

(no idea on the green tomatoes, never tried.)

I just spent 3+ hours digging my 7 18-yard rows of potatoes.  Ugh.  Everything yielded pretty good; the Red Pontiacs are HUGE, a few up to three fists in size.  Potato corn chowder for dinner tonight, one of my favorite dishes.  

Next up, the Great Fingerling Challenge.  I need to see which of the 4 varieties I planted I will grow again next year.  The red-skinned fingerling, the name of which escapes me, I am not sure is one that will cellar well.  It is apparently an early variety and it did not do well leaving it in the ground so long.  So while I like the taste I am a little disappointed in their overall manage-ability.  

I probably won't grow the Purple Majesty again.  A nice novelty, but other than the color there is nothing special about either the size or the yield.  That, and they have very thick skins so they are a pain to peel.  I like growing varieties that require no peeling.

All in all, I had just shy of 8 heaped milk crates full of spuds.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

All in all, I had just shy of 8 heaped milk crates full of spuds.

Given my first try and failure in the potato world, I am jealous.

Jeff