Does running clear stuffy nose? (Read 148 times)

Man, you find everything on this forum. I am very frequently in a state of congestion/runniness due to allergies & what-not. (Next time someone asks me "who has allergies in the winter?", I want to punch them.) But I have never had a problem while running. For some reason I never thought much about it, just enjoyed it. Maybe that's why I love running so much?

Dave

Wing

Joggaholic

What about the kinda of stuffiness that is not associated with snot? The kind where your nostrils are dry but you just can't breath through them as if they're entirely plugged up? (This usually happens to one side though to me for some reason)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

C'mon Nobby, you know people are a whole lot more complex than a rubber tube with raw egg in it.  With nasal congestion, we are dealing with living tissues infused with blood and other fluids.  There's not only temperature, but blood pressure.  There's lymph, sinus passages and their fluids, air passing in and out, facial musculature, and, probably most importantly, histamines.  Note #3 especially:

Effects on nasal mucous membrane

Increased vascular permeability causes fluid to escape from capillaries into the tissues, which leads to the classic symptoms of an allergic reaction: a runny nose and watery eyes. Allergens can bind to IgE-loaded mast cells in the nasal cavity's mucous membranes. This can lead to three clinical responses:[9]

1. sneezing due to histamine-associated sensory neural stimulation
          2. hyper-secretion from glandular tissue
          3. nasal congestion due to vascular engorgement associated with vasodilation and increased capillary permeability

Best Present Ever

I find running encourages what I think of as snot homeostasis. If my nose isn't running when I start, I'm often moderately snotty during the run.  If I'm congested when I start, I breath a lot better during and for a bit after the run.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My nose runs like a faucet when the air is chilly.  I don't run like a faucet; more like a dork.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, c'mon guys...!  It's got nothing to do with the act of running.  It's because of the elevated body temperature!!!  You go sit in sauna, ride a stationary bike, whatever!  You can very much easily blow your stuffed nose and "spit" (I don't know if there's any specific vocabulary for this action)  the snot out of the nostril easily.  It doesn't have to be running.  Seriously, guys???

My nose has never run while on a treadmill or stationary bike...or in a sauna.  Running or biking outdoors if it's <55 degrees or so--instant faucet.  I don't think it has anything to do with my body temperature, but everything to do with external temp.  My nose doesn't run in the Summer, unless I'm having an acute allergy attack or cold.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

My nose runs when I run. Doesn't matter if it's indoors or warm/cold...it runs. It does run less when it's warm or if I'm inside and runs much more in the winter when it's cold. I don't recall having the issue when I ride a stationary bike or do Zumba or something like that.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!