New Shoes- some issues and questions (Read 617 times)

runninginmemphis

Just got some new running shoes 10 days ago (Mizuno Wave Inspire 6, previous shoes were Brooks Adrenaline 6s) . I've worn them for several shorter runs (up to 10 miles) during the past week without problems. Wore them yesterday on a long run (18 miles) and have massive blisters on the side of my big right toe and all of my toenails on my left foot feel sore when I touch them. Angry Should I return the shoes or do I just need more time to get used to them? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Laura
    Laura
      I'm no expert, but it sounds as if they may be too small - I mean, your feet swell during long runs, so that might explain why your toenails are all sore. I'd try going a half-size up...but like I said, I'm no expert. Anyone else?
      PWL

Has been

I'm no expert, but it sounds as if they may be too small - I mean, your feet swell during long runs, so that might explain why your toenails are all sore. I'd try going a half-size up...but like I said, I'm no expert. Anyone else?
        Sounds about right.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

My dh had some foot issues this year. His sports doctor told him to quit running in Mizuno's as they are more narrow than other shoes. He recommended that he try Brooks because they tend to be wider in the toebox as a general rule. Maybe your new Mizuno's are too narrow once your feet start to swell. Teresa
          runninginmemphis

That would make sense....I've run in Brooks Adrenalines for a long time...and when I went to get some new shoes, the guy at the store watched me run and gave me a few different brands/models to try on. The Mizunos felt good so I went with those....he also told me to come back if they didn't feel right over the next week or so...Maybe that's my best bet. Thanks for the advice!
            Laura
              Did you get the same size Mizunos that you wear in Brooks? I used to work at a running specialty store and found that Mizunos ran about a 1/2 size small. (both short and narrow)
              runninginmemphis

Thanks for all of the advice! I went back to the store and swapped out the Mizuno Wave Inspires for a pair of Brooks Adrenaline 8s. Hope that these work out better for me! Laura
                Laura