yaktrak's work! (Read 790 times)

sluggo

John

Ran on some icy pavement this AM and, for the first time ever, wore my Xmas Yaktraks. They worked great! Nice grip on the icy places and felt OK on the cleared off places. One of my running partners said I had, "4 wheel drive." Worth trying if you are curious.

John
    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Lazy idiot

I received some for Christmas, but we haven't had any snow worth talking about to do some testing. not that I'm complaining. But it's good to know that they work.

Tick tock

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yep, I love mine! I don't think about them much until I'm NOT wearing them, and then I realize what a difference they make. I just saw that they've come out with a new and improved, heavier version, so I will try those when my current ones wear out. Glad they're working for you!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just saw that they've come out with a new and improved, heavier version, so I will try those when my current ones wear out.
          You might buy them a size smaller than the "old" model. I need a medium on the older ones, but I bought a pair of the new ones in Med and they are too big. Sluggo, they aren't like 4WD/AWD...they are like snow tires or chains. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

thumbs up!

Used mine today too. Patchy spots of ice and snow, but I didn't have to watch my footing at all. I'm very happy I have them. Saved me from the treadmill many times now.
            2010 Goals
            1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
            2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
            3. sub 30 min 5k
            4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
            kcam

You guys don't have trouble with them on patches where there is no snow or ice? I used them on a winter trip to Utah and did lots of hiking with them and they were just plain amazing in the snow and ice but as soon as you walked on bare stone / pavement / rock the rubber wore down and they broke. I would think that would be worse with running?
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I avoid patches of dry with them...because the company even states to avoid that to prevent premature wear (and because it feels really awful). I'm still on my original pair from last Winter...probably did at least 15 miles/week with them...for several months. I can run for 10+ miles often without a single patch of bare road, so that's probably why mine have lasted so long. *knocks on wood*

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes, you do have to watch the bare pavement. Up here, I can usually find snow or ice to run on, though, if I move far enough over!
                  sluggo

John

You guys don't have trouble with them on patches where there is no snow or ice? I used them on a winter trip to Utah and did lots of hiking with them and they were just plain amazing in the snow and ice but as soon as you walked on bare stone / pavement / rock the rubber wore down and they broke. I would think that would be worse with running?
                    The places I ran w/o snow or ice were mostly asphalt and they were fine on the asphalt. I suspect that they will wear out more quickly on asphalt than on snow/ice but most of the time the pavement around here is clear of the slippery stuff so I should be able to get at least a season out of them. How long did it take you to break yours? I only ran 5 mi with mine this AM and they are not showing any wear. Your trouble on "bare stone / pavement / rock" might be common. One of my friends claims that the yaktraks work great on everything but bare granite - this sounds very much like your experience. Happily, I almost never run on bare stone.

John

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

sluggo

John

Sluggo, they aren't like 4WD/AWD...they are like snow tires or chains. Big grin
                      I stand corrected!

John

De-slacking in progress

Hurray- I just bought my very first pair today (Pro version) due to the following warning: running at 10 miler in it- I'm so excited- my first real snowstorm to run in. Not going to miss this first chance!!!! Big grin Winter Storm Warning, Friday, 09 January 2009 20:54 URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH 354 PM EST FRI JAN 9 2009 .A STRONG STORM SYSTEM WILL TRACK ACROSS THE OHIO RIVER VALLEY TONIGHT INTO SATURDAY. THIS WILL GENERATE A PERIOD OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL THAT WILL SPREAD ACROSS NORTHERN OHIO AND INTO NORTHWESTERN PENNSYLVANIA. OHZ011>014-020>023-031>033-038-089-PAZ003-100500- /O.EXT.KCLE.WS.W.0001.090109T2100Z-090111T0600Z/ CUYAHOGA-LAKE-GEAUGA-ASHTABULA INLAND-MEDINA-SUMMIT-PORTAGE- TRUMBULL-WAYNE-STARK-MAHONING-HOLMES-ASHTABULA LAKESHORE- CRAWFORD PA- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLEVELAND...MENTOR...CHARDON... JEFFERSON...MEDINA...AKRON...RAVENNA...WARREN...WOOSTER... CANTON...YOUNGSTOWN...MILLERSBURG...ASHTABULA...MEADVILLE 354 PM EST FRI JAN 9 2009 ...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST SUNDAY... THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST SUNDAY. LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE NIGHT. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP AFTER MIDNIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH NOON ON SATURDAY. SNOW AMOUNTS TONIGHT WILL LIKELY BE 3 TO 5 INCHES WITH ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS ON SATURDAY. TOTAL SNOW AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SEVERE WINTER WEATHER IS EXPECTED. HEAVY SNOW AND/OR ICE WILL CAUSE HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. IF YOU WILL BE TRAVELING IN THE WARNING AREA YOU SHOULD CHOOSE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE IF POSSIBLE... OR YOU SHOULD USE EXTREME CAUTION IF TRAVEL IS UNAVOIDABLE. STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO AND OTHER RADIO AND TV STATIONS FOR FURTHER DETAILS OR UPDATES.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I stand corrected!
                          Heh, I'm not particularly fond of AWD/4WD, I should mention. Around here 3/4 of the vehicles in the ditch have that feature. Snow tires are a cheaper and more effective solution, IMO. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

De-slacking in progress

Heh, I'm not particularly fond of AWD/4WD, I should mention. Around here 3/4 of the vehicles in the ditch have that feature. Snow tires are a cheaper and more effective solution, IMO. Big grin
                            My shoe size is 9.5- what tire size is that? Yak were only about $25- that's cheaper than a tire I think Big grinClowning around

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My shoe size is 9.5- what tire size is that? Yak were only about $25- that's cheaper than a tire I think Big grinClowning around
                              Looks like you are a medium:

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

I received some for Christmas, but we haven't had any snow worth talking about to do some testing. not that I'm complaining. But it's good to know that they work.
                                You may after tonight, Drew.

Rick
                                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                                runningforcassy.blogspot.com