Can microspikes replace snowshoes? (Read 101 times)

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I've broken yet ANOTHER  pair of running snowshoes.  This pair died with less than 100 miles on them, and I'm not one to throw good money after bad, so I am resigning myself to the conclusion that there is something about my stride that doesn't agree with the design.

But I still want to run trail all winter.  I already have Stabilicers and they work fine on the road, but are useless in deep, mushy, churned up snow.  The trail I use is also used by snowmobiles, so I run where they have made paths.  Snowshoes were perfect for this.

Looking into alternatives, the best I can come up with are the Catahoula microspikes.  The reviews all say they are great on ice but don't say much about deeper snow.  For people who have used them, do they work on four or five inches of "mushy, dry, sand-like" snow?

Also, how many miles are they good for?  One review I saw only got 450 miles out of them, which would be disappointing.

Leah, mother of dogs

joescott

I've broken yet ANOTHER  pair of running snowshoes. 

ANOTHER just since the ones you broke right after the iPod?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

DaBurger

What do snow shoes do?

What do spikes do?

Snow shoes distribute weight over a larger area so that you don't fall through the snow.

Spikes put all of your body weight on 4-5 small points so that they can dig deeper into ice.

Know thyself.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

ANOTHER just since the ones you broke right after the iPod?

Haha, no.  The ones I broke this week were the second pair.  I broke the first pair at the tail end of last year's winter running season.

Burger, is that a no?

Leah, mother of dogs

If you don't have a base, nothing works very well. The snowmachine tracks may be packed,. If so, the micro spikes would work fine on those. We get stuff like mashed potatoes no but absolutely nothing works on.

As already mentioned, cleats provide traction. Snowshoes the cells provide flotation.

How have you broken your snowshoes ? Have you been running on icy terrain and broken the cleats or are you breaking the frame?. What brand and model are you using.

I know I have over 300 miles on my micro spikes since I started counting. I'm not sure how many miles  on my snowshoes. A friend of mine I believe had over 1000 miles on hers.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

AKT, I broke a set of Tubbs, the metal cleat part with the teeth shattered.  I never ran them on anything but snow or ice.  I got 170 miles out of them.

I broke the Atlas pair the same place, but this time it just snapped off the frame (metal broken in two pieces).  This pair had maybe 70 miles on them.  And I was extremely careful not to run on anything but snow, not even on ice.  This is what I had. http://www.backcountry.com/atlas-race-snowshoe?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6U25vd3Nob2VzOjE6NDpTbm93c2hvZXM

I cant remember what model the Tubbs were.  They were meant for running in though.

So nothing really works for the mashed potato snow?  That sucks.  Should I not bother with the microspikes and just stick with Stabilicers?

Leah, mother of dogs

sugnim

I can't speak for snowshoe running. but I successfully trail run on snow & ice with a relatively inexpensive pair of Due North traction devices.  I've never fallen while wearing these, but if the trail is not broken, I do sink into the snow, which I think is fun, but some people may not.  Also, I cannot climb super steep trails that are completely iced over, but I have trail running friends who use the Kahtoola micro spikes and can get up steep icy trails with no problem.  So, yeah, you can trail run in the winter without snowshoes, but what you will need will depend on the conditions of the trails you run and what you want to do.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

If you buy another pair of snowshoes, get them through REI.  If they break, bring them back and exchange them.  Well worth paying "list" price.

I would also look into the "Limited lifetime warrantee" mentioned on the website you linked for the Atlas pair.

**Ask me about streaking**

Unless you actually broke the frame, those snowshoes must be fixable.

mta: and I would think even most broken frames could be repaired as well.

Runners run

AKT, I broke a set of Tubbs, the metal cleat part with the teeth shattered.  I never ran them on anything but snow or ice.  I got 170 miles out of them.

I broke the Atlas pair the same place, but this time it just snapped off the frame (metal broken in two pieces).  This pair had maybe 70 miles on them.  And I was extremely careful not to run on anything but snow, not even on ice.  This is what I had. http://www.backcountry.com/atlas-race-snowshoe?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6U25vd3Nob2VzOjE6NDpTbm93c2hvZXM

I cant remember what model the Tubbs were.  They were meant for running in though.

So nothing really works for the mashed potato snow?  That sucks.  Should I not bother with the microspikes and just stick with Stabilicers?

I'd contact Atlas and tell them what happened -or the store where you bought them. Not sure what kind of guarantee comes with them. I do know that titanium cleats break fairly easily, especially on the icy snow that we frequently get. But you said you were only on snow not ice. A $300 pair of snowshoes should be more durable.

I've broken Part of a cleat on Northern lights elites, but they are still usable. My newest snowshoes are Dion which are modular. The cleats can be replaced separately, and you can get various lengths or stainless steel for ice.

Your Snow sounds a little bit drier than mashed potatoes snow, but nevertheless there are kinds of snow that just don't pack well. Not sure if that's your case or whetherr you just don't have enough traffic to pack.  I like my Kahoola micro spikes a lot better than my stabilicers -Either sports or lites. They're Easier to put on and off, plus they extend deeper into the snow. But if you don't have a base for cleats to grab, they may not make that much difference.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      JimR

Burger, is that a no?

<blink>

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, dangit…I have the next model below those and DS has the model below that.  I hope we have better luck.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Well I have already sent the snowshoes back to Backcountry for store credit.  I'm sure I can use the money to buy shoes later this year so it's not a loss.  I didn't even think of trying to get them repaired, I am pretty sure I would just end up breaking them again.  I'm not saying they were a bad design or poorly made, I really think it's me and how I run or something that causes me to break snowshoes.  Other people manage to run in them just fine.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the help.  Maybe I will just spend the rest of this winter in the Stabilicers and reconsider the microspikes if I find them on sale in the spring.

Leah, mother of dogs

have never used them, but Yaktrak has traction devices now called "RUN"    Stabilizers vs Yaktraks vs Microspikes  vs snowshoes ?  probably depends on the conditions at the time.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I'm really good at breaking YakTraks too! 

Leah, mother of dogs