Run Commuting and Food (Read 1550 times)

So, I have been run commuting, and it has been tough with the extra weight on my back. Anyway, I run 6 miles to get to work and I like to eat lots of fruit. However, the fruit doesn't want to last through the run. I put some grapes and cherries in a plastic container and when I was done running they were mush. Basically, everything I want to eat seems to get mashed. What the hell am I going to do?

Apples? 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Pop Tarts are fruit.  Ask Trent

But apples everyday would start to suck. I was hoping for some ideas on carrying various food.

Once a week (or whatever) bike some fruit over to work and store it there (if there's a good place to store - mouse proof dry storage, or a fridge you can use).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Dried fruit?  Granola/ granola bars? Power bars?  Beef jerky?

Do you have a place to keep food at work?............maybe you could do a weekly stock-up at the office and then you don't have to carry any food during the run.  6 miels is nothing, so food during the run isn't necessary.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Once a week (or whatever) bike some fruit over to work and store it there (if there's a good place to store - mouse proof dry storage, or a fridge you can use).

Unfortunately, I share an office with other grad students. The refrigerator doesn't look like it has been cleaned since years ago. Although, this isn't too bad of an idea if I could find a container to leave them in. However, fruit in closed containers tends to get a little nasty.

Unfortunately, I share an office with other grad students. The refrigerator doesn't look like it has been cleaned since years ago. Although, this isn't too bad of an idea if I could find a container to leave them in. However, fruit in closed containers tends to get a little nasty.

You incapable of cleaning? Sounds like the easy solution to me.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you fill the container tight with the blueberries or cherries, they should not move too much.

And: who cares if they are mush.

You could also keep a bunch of fruit in your office waiting for you.

And: pop tarts are fruit.

You incapable of cleaning? Sounds like the easy solution to me.

I have never used it, and I don't want to clean something I have never used.

If you fill the container tight with the blueberries or cherries, they should not move too much.

And: who cares if they are mush.

You could also keep a bunch of fruit in your office waiting for you.

And: pop tarts are fruit.

Yeah, maybe I just need to put more fruit in the container or bring a smaller container. Mushy fruit is unpleasant. I am eating it, but it is just unpleasant.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Apples, bananas, pears, cherries, oranges: none of these really require any refridgeration.  I often keep a bunch on my desk.  You can also do dried fruit.

Apples, bananas, pears, cherries, oranges: none of these really require any refridgeration.  I often keep a bunch on my desk.  You can also do dried fruit.

I am pretty sure we have mice, since I heard one in a classroom once. I think I am just going to have to deal with it.

Slo

I am pretty sure we have mice, since I heard one in a classroom once. I think I am just going to have to deal with it.

I think you sound like one of my kids and are just going to throw up excuses to any suggestion....Just sayin....All of the suggestions are reasonable.....If you want to run commute then you'll find a way.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mice don't really go for fresh fruit.  And you can put them all in a mice-proof bin, if you are worried.