Run Commuting and Food (Read 1550 times)

Good luck to you... FYI, this is what I use, and I'm pretty happy with it... not much bounce at all, and just enough room for the essentials.

I am using the Camelbak Octane 18x. For ultralite hiking I think it would work just fine, but it seems to have issues when running.

Gig

I liked the smoothy idea. I might have to pick up a blender to keep at work.

One other thought. Is there a market closer to your office where you could by the fruit fresh? I'm lucky enough to have 50-cent bananas right across the street.

Gig

Freezing bananas is the first step to making one of the most the most brilliant banana-based recipes ever.

The really hard part with this one is peeling frozen bananas. I peel them and wrap them in parchment paper before I freeze them. Also, I use a juicer, but the blender might be easier. I'll try it this weekend.

I am using the Camelbak Octane 18x. For ultralite hiking I think it would work just fine, but it seems to have issues when running.

I assume the 18 refers to the volume, as in 18 litre?  If so, this might be the source of your bounce... I think that's little too roomy for a running backpack.  At 11 litres, mine is a pretty tight squeeze to fit everything I need sometimes, but I don't think I'd go much bigger. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The really hard part with this one is peeling frozen bananas. I peel them and wrap them in parchment paper before I freeze them. Also, I use a juicer, but the blender might be easier. I'll try it this weekend.

?

Why do you wrap them up before freezing them?

#artbydmcbride

?

Why do you wrap them up before freezing them?

Oooh, let me guess...'cause it is hard to peel them after they are frozen.   And the paper keeps them clean in the freezer.

Runners run

drrbradford

I assume the 18 refers to the volume, as in 18 litre?  If so, this might be the source of your bounce... I think that's little too roomy for a running backpack.  At 11 litres, mine is a pretty tight squeeze to fit everything I need sometimes, but I don't think I'd go much bigger. 

I use a 25L bag but it has elastic webbing so sort out any unused space. It's a brilliant bag, actually, as it's waterproof and was very cheap too. 

Exped Dry Pack 25 http://www.kingofwatersports.com/exped-drypack-pro-25-waterproof-pack-i9724.html

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oooh, let me guess...'cause it is hard to peel them after they are frozen.   And the paper keeps them clean in the freezer.

Yeah, so does a tupperware or even a clean bowl.  Much easier than wrapping them up.

The bag compresses to much smaller. The pack is 18L open, but is more like 13L closed. If you look at the picture below you will see a center zip. This is what controls the open and closed. Then there are all the compression "ties". So, I can control how tight the inside of the bag is. However, I tend to have a little bit of space at the top of the bag and that is where I put the fruit.

Yeah, so does a tupperware or even a clean bowl.  Much easier than wrapping them up.

I just throw them in a ziploc. I like to make banana bread with mine.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ziplock bags generate trash.  Bowls do not.

I absolutely agree.  Regardless, recycle your bags and use the piss out of your bowls, that is until it is worn out......and then recycle it too.

My wife thinks I am nuts.  In the last year I have turned our household rubbish around.............before we did 1 bbl per week of recycle + 3 bbls of trash.........and now I am just the opposite.  Sorry for stepping on the soap box, but there is SOOOOOO much that is recycleable in what we normally just toss.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

I need to get more bowls.

xor

>> use the piss out of your bowls

I'm sorry, but if there is ever something that should be dumped, it is the piss in the bowls.

I wash and re-use my Ziplocs until they can be used no more.  My bowls, however, keep disappearing.  I'm blaming The Hub.  I just hope he's not pissin' in 'em. Evil

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance