Bike Lust (Read 1697 times)

I haven't been on a bike in years and, while our city does have programs to teach you to ride in traffic etc, they are already over for the year! It's only July! Sigh. I'm going to borrow my SIL's old beater though and take a "adult learn to ride." I'll see how that goes. thanks
    To think how many times I've heard the saying "It's like riding a bike - once you learn you never forget". Another myth shotdown in flames Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I took the plunge yesterday! Being injured (and now recovered THANKFULLY) for the last 4-6 weeks made me start swimming and cycling. Kicking around the idea of, and reading lots of books on, doing a triathlon next spring. Focus on fall marathon now, do tri training in spring, then another fall marathon. My bike, just an intro level road bike, a 2007 Lemond Reno: I know nothing about biking, so hopefully this will do me. I imagine it will. Anything feels better than the 20 year old mountain bike I've been using. Took her out last night. Very fun. Very smooth. Very fast.
        I had a serious case of bike lust this weekend-I looked around a well stocked tri store for an hour or so. Man, those bikes look nice. (I ride a good entry level 2007 Cannondale)

Get back up!

I took the plunge yesterday! Being injured (and now recovered THANKFULLY) for the last 4-6 weeks made me start swimming and cycling. Kicking around the idea of, and reading lots of books on, doing a triathlon next spring. Focus on fall marathon now, do tri training in spring, then another fall marathon. My bike, just an intro level road bike, a 2007 Lemond Reno: I know nothing about biking, so hopefully this will do me. I imagine it will. Anything feels better than the 20 year old mountain bike I've been using. Took her out last night. Very fun. Very smooth. Very fast.
          Good pick up on that. I think Trek dropped the LeMonds. I would love to do some duathlons myself, I'm a terrible swimmer but love the bike/run combo. And to the person who was mentioning before about how it starts out simple, then add the campy set, etc... couldn't be more true. oh and, i <3 my fixed gear. if people ever have questions about what bike to get etc, just ask your lbs. they usually have great advice, won't try to oversell, and get you sized up properly (which leads to most of the issues i see with people who have problems with their bikes). stay away from any place that happens to sell bikes on the side. happy riding! my="" fixed="" gear.="" if="" people="" ever="" have="" questions="" about="" what="" bike="" to="" get="" etc,="" just="" ask="" your="" lbs.="" they="" usually="" have="" great="" advice,="" won't="" try="" to="" oversell,="" and="" get="" you="" sized="" up="" properly="" (which="" leads="" to="" most="" of="" the="" issues="" i="" see="" with="" people="" who="" have="" problems="" with="" their="" bikes).="" stay="" away="" from="" any="" place="" that="" happens="" to="" sell="" bikes="" on="" the="" side.="" happy="" riding!=""></3 my fixed gear. if people ever have questions about what bike to get etc, just ask your lbs. they usually have great advice, won't try to oversell, and get you sized up properly (which leads to most of the issues i see with people who have problems with their bikes). stay away from any place that happens to sell bikes on the side. happy riding! >
          Live your heart and never follow.
          redleaf

To think how many times I've heard the saying "It's like riding a bike - once you learn you never forget". Another myth shotdown in flames Big grin
            ahh how far we've come in my 35 years - teased online now! Big grin

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

jules2

Sparky,nice looking bike but if thats a photo of your actual bike bin the toe clips and go clipless.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Sparky,nice looking bike but if thats a photo of your actual bike bin the toe clips and go clipless.
                Yeah... I'm working on that. I managed to weasel in a pair of clipless pedals with the purchase of the bike, but have yet to get a pair of biking shoes. I decided it was probably smarter to buy the requisite cleaning equipment, tools, and on the go fix-up kit instead of the shoes. They'll come soon I hope, I just can't justify spending ~$1000 all in one week to the DW who was nice enough to let me buy it in the first place! Biking is an expensive sport up front! All I need now though is shoes and aerobars, then I'll be content... for the next little while at least. Smile I've got my eye on a few sprint triathlons next spring and possibly a half-ironman for next July. I might even cram in a sprint this September just for kicks. Running is sitll my priority now, and maybe a BQ marathon in October if all my newfound X-training kicks in!

jules2

Tip for the future when you buy a bike always make sure its a similar colour to the old one and hopefully your wife won't notice. Good luck clipless I am not very well co-ordinated but I settled down with no real problems.

jules2

dtraitor, a very similar theory I'd never heard of before.