Speed work - how do I find the right program for me? (Read 672 times)

I am currently training for a HM on March 2. Someone recommended to me that I should look into incorporating speed work so I am interested in figuring out how to fit this into my current training program. I am following the HM schedule from this website: http://www.littlerockmarathon.com/Training/TrainingSchedule.cfm Monday - 3 miles Tuesday - strength training Wednesday - 3 miles (increase to 4 miles next week) Thursday - 3 miles (increase to 4 miles end of January) Friday - strength training Saturday - long run (currently at 7 miles) Sunday - rest How can I fit speedwork into this? I do my runs during the week on the TM (for safety reasons - I dont like to run alone outside in the dark) and my long run is with a large running group. The longest race I've done so far is a 5k with a PR of 31:36, so I am no speed demon by any means. I haven't really thought much about my time goal for the HM, although under 2:15 would be nice.
    ---- Cynthia
      I've never run a half-marathon and I'm currently building to one in June so this advice isn't from personal experience. I looked at a lot of different plans and really liked this write up from Runners World (plus there is some good reference material to use in whatever program you use). It's a nine week program and the opening week looks very similar to yours with the long run of seven but it does build in some intervals and some speed. This program just takes one of your mid-week runs and turns it into a speed workout. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--6851-1-2X5X8-4,00.html

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

For your first half, I wouldn't add any speedwork. Just get your body used to the higher mileage and have fun at your first HM.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Scout7

Firstly, I agree with Bonkin, you really don't need speedwork for your first. If, however, you want to do it, you could easily replace the strength training with the speed stuff. That'd be what I would do.
            i'm also training for my first half in march. we're running roughly the same mileage per week and i also consider myself kinda slow Smile for what its worth, i'm not planning to do any speed training, just working on building up my mileage and finishing! sometimes on my shorter runs i'll pick up the pace a bit, but its far from speed training. i'm using this hal higdon novice half marathon traning plan and so far am really liking it. good luck!

Dave

If you're doing most of your mid-week runs at an easy, conversational pace, it should be fairly simple to turn one of those runs into some mild speedwork. My favorite is something like a tempo run. Do an easy mile warm up and then try and sustain 2 miles at something slightly faster than your HM pace. Then cool down for a mile. Easy to do on the treadmill (as opposed to faster interval work) and helps with some of the mental work you need to do to sustain a faster pace on race day.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

For your first half, I wouldn't add any speedwork. Just get your body used to the higher mileage and have fun at your first HM.
                I agree. Speed work will increase your risk of injury if your base mileage isn't adequate to handle the added stress to your body. If you really feel like you’d like to add some my advice would be to simply take one of your mid-week runs and try to pick up the pace the last mile or so and finish stronger (15, 20 seconds faster last mile). Perhaps as you near the Half, try some fartlek (fun) pickups. After a warm up of a couple of miles, alternate between a quicker 90 second to 2 minute increase in your pace (perceived effort of an 8 out of 10) with the same amount of time in between jogging slowly. Enjoy your first half, get it under your belt then look to improve your time in the next one. Good Luck!
                  This is all great feedback and exactly why I wanted more than just one opinion. Thanks everyone! Cool
                  ---- Cynthia
                    Although I am not as experienced as those replying earlier, what I do is run progressively faster on my long runs. This forces me start out very slow and by the end close to my race goal pace. But I only run near my goal pace for a mile at most. My training runs average 2-3 min/mile slower than my race pace The general consensus seems to be no more than 5-10% of your total mileage should be anywhere near your race pace..
                      the best speed program for you is the one that you enjoy the most, which is likely the one that you make up. my opinion is that thursday is your speedwork day. i'd start by just doing some strides, say 4 or 5, of only 100m each. just stretch out your legs and feel the wind in your hair... or well, hear the treadmill spin faster Winkthen the week after that try a fartlek workout for the second half of your thursday run... run fast on the mill for some time, slow down, go fast, whatever turns you on. ultimately the goals of speed work are to increase muscle strength, increase your vo2max, and help you deal with the feeling of higher lactic acid levels. the bottom line is don't push yourself if you feel muscle pain, but try to keep yourself out of your aerobic comfort zone for a good deal of time. breathe hard and get sweaty... words to live by.
                      Mr R

I am absolutely confident that you should not incorporate speedwork into your training. It would be a new and extreme stress that would likely lead to injury if you are building your volume at the same time. You should never increase volume and intensity at the same time. If, in the future, you want to improve your times and start experimenting with speedwork, then you should start your training much farther out. That way your body can adapt to a high mileage base before you incorporate speed. For example, this summer and early fall I was running 90-100 miles/week. However, for the last 10 weeks, my mileage has only been in the 70s and 80s. This allows me to do my long runs at a very hard pace, because I have the lower mileage to aid my recovery. This will set me up to run well from 12k to half marathon over the next two months. Next time around, pick one of these plans, but don't schedule a race. When you've completed the plan, just keep repeating the toughest week. Hold this for 1 or 2 months, then back your mileage off about 10%, and you'll be ready for 6-8 weeks of speed, after which you'll smash your expectations in just about any race you can imagine. p.s. The one exception to this rule is "pure speed" or strides. You should do sprints every week, all year long. Don't do them until you're exhausted, just until your form starts to feel a bit strained. This will improve your running economy.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

SMART Approach

Your miles are quite low to do a 2:15 now but not impossible. Below is what I posted to a question on Running 101 for a semi beginning runner who has run a 25 min 5K. Adjust as you see fit. I agree, you need no true speedwork. Tempo/slow tempo work is fine to simulate your race. The below or modification would be fine for you depending on level of fitness. Doesn't sound like you want to run 6 days per week, but with strength day, mix in some running or cardio exercise. It will help. If you want to stick to something very similar to what you are doing, then extend one of your mid week runs and mix in 2-3 miles of a bit faster running (in middle of run)and 4-8 quick 100M striders with full recovery. And on long run try to finish faster (not killer)over last 1-3 miles to train yourself to deal with performing with tired legs. This will make you mentally and physically stronger. Remember, most of your running should be fairly slow/comfortable 11:30-12:00 pace or so. This is my area of expertise as I am a low mileage runner and coach. I think you have a lot of work to do with your base work so reaching under 2:00 is an ambitious goal but not impossible. Your running too fast now in your short runs. Most of your runs should be in 10:00 pace area. I would focus on two bigger work outs per week and the rest of miles slower. You have to train yourself for "this distance" My suggestion of a program is below Day 1 3-4 miles at EZ pace or 10 min pace assuming you feel you are in 25 min 5K shape now Day 2 5-8 miles with middle 3-5 miles at a bit faster pace like 9:00-9:15 pace and then in cooldown miles do 4-8 100M quick striders with full recovery between Day 3 3-4 miles EZ Day 4 3-4 miles EZ Day 5 7-10 miles w/ last 2-3 miles at a faster pace if feeling good. Doesn't have to be killer. Listen to your body. If feeling good the last mile go a bit faster. Think between 8:30-9:30 pace the last 2-3 miles. Finish w/ 4-8 striders Day 6 3-4 miles slow to EZ Progress with the plan. Maybe now your EZ runs are 3 miles but in 4 weeks they will be 4 miles. Add one mile per week to the two longer runs. Start with 4 striders and progress each week. On day 2 you start with 2 faster miles but in 4-5 weeks your are doing 4-5 miles a bit faster. Putting your effort in the two bigger work outs per week will pay off. The other runs are just comfortable runs to get in the miles. The other days are "the work outs". Based on your level of running, the above plan is more ideal than what you are currently doing and offers hope of progress down the road. The last thing you need to do is hammer away at your base which I think you are doing with the harder short runs you are doing. You will be dying at end of the half with your current training plan if shoot for your goal pace. Slow down in most of your runs and put the effort in the longer runs. Smarter training gives better results than harder training. And, think long term. Don't set your goals too high. A 2:00 half is an aggressive goal if you have never run one. You have a lot of room for growth. Stick with it. Good luck. Todd

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

This is all great feedback and exactly why I wanted more than just one opinion. Thanks everyone! Cool
                            Well you got quite range of advice, I must say! What did you decide? I'd say add an introductory (easy) 1/2M interval session, or better a tempo, on Wednesday. Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"