Would you run two 5K in less than 18 hours? (Read 582 times)

I committed to running a March of Dimes sponsored 5K on Sept 7. Today I found out that the 9/11 5K that I like to run is Sept 6. To make matters worse, the 9/11 race is at either 5 or 6 PM so the turn-around is really short. Plus it tends to be a very HOT race. It's definitely not a PR effort race but my office paid our entry fee last year and my wife and friends all want to run it. I'm thinking the Sept 7 race will be a much smaller field with cooler morning temps and maybe a faster layout. I couldn't medal in a field of 5 but it might be a worthy PR effort. Would you run both? If so, how would you approach it?
    2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

I try to avoid racing two weeks in a row, although I do it on occasion (I rarely race 3 weeks in a row.) I almost never race two days in a row. Did it once this past June, though. Ran a road 5k on a Saturday morning at a good effort, and went into a 6 mile trail race on Sunday morning w/no expectations and not intending to go all out. I was having so much fun that I couldn't help myself though, so I did what I had to do to stay up front. I could tell I'd run the 5k the day before, but I mostly ignored it and then took a week or two of all easy running to recover properly. Just be sure to eat as soon as you finish both races, and to stay hydrated between them. I definitely don't recommend doing it on a regular basis (or at all really) but now and again isn't the end of the world as long as you acknowledge that you won't have your best performance in either race.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

JakeKnight

Sure. Why not? If you've got a solid base and you're in good shape, race them both if you want. Warm up thoroughly before the second one. If your base is weak, take that hot one a little easy and race hard the next morning.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

xor

If it is super important to you to try for a PR on 9/7, then don't race 9/6. This either means "don't run the event" or it means run it easy, like you probably would run a training run in the days before a race anyway. But it is not a simple matter to run easy in a race situation. Me? I'd try to bust ass on 9/6 and run 9/7 at a relaxed pace. Even though 9/6 would be warmer. I like warm.

Scout7

Yes.
            xor

Ah, who am I kidding. I'd try to race both of them.

Last year I was convinced it was going to be a PR race because I'd done a lot of afternoon running in the heat at that distance. It must have been 1,000 degrees on race day. I have never seen so many racers scattered alongside the road in that distance in my life. I was a minute off my PR but I was able to eat the free pizza and drink the free beer at the end of the race and that felt like a victory (there were a lot of sick runners). I think it's going to depend on the weather and the second course. I like the idea of racing the first and running the second; it just makes more sense. Worst case is I have two moderate runs and I give my money to two good causes. Actually, worst case is I go nutso on the 6th, lose my lunch on the only hill, miss out on the free beer, and then be ridiculed for not running the second because I was a giant wuss.
                2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Actually, worst case is I go nutso on the 6th, lose my lunch on the only hill, miss out on the free beer, and then be ridiculed for not running the second because I was a giant wuss.
                  That would be worse, yes...

Run to Win

The Greatest of All Time

I ran 3 in 7.5 hours. For real.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

In high school, I used to have to run the 5k followed immediately by 4x800 (it was nice when the girls went first but that didn't always happen) and then I'd get a short break and run the 1600. Then I'd get a long break and at the end of the meet I'd have to run the 3200. And you know what? As much as that sucked, it wasn't nearly as bad as doing the 5k and the 10k on the track in the same meet in college a few times.

Run to Win

But have you ran this? Krispy Kreme Challenge I have a twisted fascination with running this thing. I don't know why.

The Greatest of All Time

In high school, I used to have to run the 5k
                          You ran 5k's in high school?
                          But have you ran this? Krispy Kreme Challenge I have a twisted fascination with running this thing. I don't know why.
                          No way I would do that. I would rather have to drink 12 beers and try to run back.

No way I would do that. I would rather have to drink 12 beers and try to run back.
                            Yes, but think of the training program. Actually, I think that would be an excellent way to never eat a donut ever again in my life. What kind of glycemic index do 12 donuts have?
                            And you know what? As much as that sucked, it wasn't nearly as bad as doing the 5k and the 10k on the track in the same meet in college a few times.
                            I'd rather run 4 miles and eat the donuts than do that. Just the idea of running a 10K on a track [shudder] is bad but having to stack them...ugh.
                            xor

The Newport (Oregon) Marathon is an out-and-back. At M8, returning about M19, there's a station with oyster shooters. Those would be raw oysters. I can't *imagine* eating an oyster in the middle of a marathon. The last time I did it, one lady ate... wait for it... 40 (or maybe 41? I don't recall). And finished the race. Yeegads.

The Greatest of All Time

Yes, but think of the training program. Actually, I think that would be an excellent way to never eat a donut ever again in my life. What kind of glycemic index do 12 donuts have?
                                Probably high enough to make you an instant diabetic.