Anyone Have a Garmin on the Chicago Distance Classic? (Read 1438 times)

John Weigel

Just curious. I suspect the course was a little long. Right at the turnaround, my mile split (I think mile 7) was about a minute slower than any of my other splits. Anyone get an accurate distance on the race with a GPS?
      The mile markers were definitely a bit messed up, but for what its worth, my Garmin put the total race distance as 13.4 miles. Checked the track on SportTracks, and I had excellent signal throughout the race. Another friend's also said 13.4. Can't say for certain that it was long, but there are some suspicious facts.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Yeah, the mile markers for the middle miles seemed off. My splits were all over the place (fast and slow) yet I was running pretty steady. The distance somewhat evened out at the end. I measured, via footpod, 13.3 but it's easy to make that error with wide turns etc. Personally, I thought the course sucked around the turnaround. It was way too narrow for the volume of runners. The Banco Popular HM course is much better in that regard.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I've been seeing a number of posts in the blogosphere and a thread on Runners World all asking about the course distance. I'm starting to get convinced that the course was laid out incorrectly. Sad

missy1102

while i didn't run with a garmin this morning, at least 20 other members of my running club measured the course longer than 13.1 with most measuring 0.3 miles longer and some even up to 0.5 miles longer. i definitely think the course was a tad bit too long Roll eyes at least it was a nice morning. happy running to all.
              It's disappointing there's this controversy with the distance. If you look at the course map from the CDC site the route does not continue down the beach as long as we did while running and this was during the seventh mile which is largely viewed as the most suspicious. Assuming this map is the official course it looks like we ran about 0.175 miles too far but I'm hoping for some official communication. I'm still actually hoping the distance we ran was correct and the seventh mile marker was just placed in the wrong location but it's looking more and more like the course was marked incorrectly (or some early runner just ran it wrong causing everyone to follow). Perfect morning for a run though and I had a lot of fun.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It's disappointing there's this controversy with the distance. If you look at the course map from the CDC site the route does not continue down the beach as long as we did while running and this was during the seventh mile which is largely viewed as the most suspicious. Assuming this map is the official course it looks like we ran about 0.175 miles too far but I'm hoping for some official communication. I'm still actually hoping the distance we ran was correct and the seventh mile marker was just placed in the wrong location but it's looking more and more like the course was marked incorrectly (or some early runner just ran it wrong causing everyone to follow). Perfect morning for a run though and I had a lot of fun.
                Lank, I don't get it. You'll have to explain the joke to me.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Lank, I don't get it. You'll have to explain the joke to me.
                  I'm not just someone who drinks too much beer, eats too few vegetables, and thinks everything is a joke. I actually stand for a few things and rule number one is never bet money you don't have with a stripper ex-girlfriend. Eh, I just brutalized that quote but I knew it was just a matter of time before some enginerd invaded our discussion of distance.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

From the RD: Hello – The course was USATF measured and certified (certification # IL – 08064 – JW) earlier this year. In addition, we had the certifier lead the pack on his bicycle to ensure that all the athletes went on the correct course. We have heard comments that the course may be long and we have asked the certifier to re-measure the course and will have a final comment on this later this week. Thank you! Beth Beth Salinger Chicago Distance Classic Phone 312.573.1737 MTA - From the course certifier: I verified the turnaround and overrun distance, per my mistype on the Chicago Distance Classic Half marathon certification turnaround point description, last night Monday 08/11/2008 around 7:15 PM. Here are the results of my finding: The turnaround point was extended approximately ~.1668 of a mile (~880 feet = ~268 meters) per my mistype of the turnaround point on the course description. It should have read: Turn around: Lakefront Trail (LFT), 40' 7'' South of 4th light pole (W) NORTH of N.E. corner of Science Dr. and Lakeshore Drive. With that, the complete half marathon distance of 13.1094 miles was extended approximately ~.1668 of a mile to ~13.2762 miles.

Per John Bingham and the Chicago Marathon office, the qualifying times for the Chicago Marathon corrals have been altered for CDC results as follows: -Top 100 Men < 1:12:00="" (was="" 1:10:59)="" -top="" 100="" women="" />< 1:22:00="" (was="" 1:20:59)="" -corral="" a="" />< 1:27:15="" (was="" 1:25:59)="" -corral="" b="" />< 1:37:30="" (was="" 1:35:59)="" -corral="" c="" />< 1:47:45="" (was="" 1:45:59)="" -corral="" d="" />< 1:53:00 (was 1:50:59) this is based on the confirmed variance of 0.1668 of a mile noted by the race certifier today. eta: john bingham says that over 700 people will move up a starting corral based on the adjusted qualification times. eta: i would have been one of them, if i was running chicago this year. 1:53:00="" (was="" 1:50:59)="" this="" is="" based="" on="" the="" confirmed="" variance="" of="" 0.1668="" of="" a="" mile="" noted="" by="" the="" race="" certifier="" today.="" eta:="" john="" bingham="" says="" that="" over="" 700="" people="" will="" move="" up="" a="" starting="" corral="" based="" on="" the="" adjusted="" qualification="" times.="" eta:="" i="" would="" have="" been="" one="" of="" them,="" if="" i="" was="" running="" chicago="" this=""></ 1:53:00 (was 1:50:59) this is based on the confirmed variance of 0.1668 of a mile noted by the race certifier today. eta: john bingham says that over 700 people will move up a starting corral based on the adjusted qualification times. eta: i would have been one of them, if i was running chicago this year.>

Now that its official and we have a confirmed long course, I wanted to see what my adjusted "real" half marathon time was. After doing it the hard way in Excel, I realized that there is an easy way using the Tools available on this very (wonderful) site. If you'd like to convert your official CDC time to your "real" half marathon time, simply do the following: 1. On the tab panel above, choose Tools | Calculators | Race Time Predictor 2. Fill in the boxes as shown below. For "Race 1" you will enter your official CDC info, including the extended distance (red arrow 1 below) of 13.28 miles and your chip time (red arrow 2 below). Leave "Race 2" boxes blank. In the "Predict time for" boxes, fill in 13.11 for the distance (red arrow 3 below) and change the "Coef" box to 1.00 (red arrow 4 below). Be sure to change the Coef box to 1.00. 3. Your adjusted time will now display in the "Predicted time:" box (blue Arrow 5 above). You can confirm this by looking at official results page, here. Search by your name or bib #, then click on your name when it appears in the search list. You should get a details page that looks like the following: The Pace listed on this details page has been adjusted to account for the long course, and should match the "Predicted Pace" from your adjusted time. Hope this was clear enough. Smile

wbertha

My garmin must have liked the longer course as it read 13.14 as we crossed the finish line. However, I don't like the timing for the CDC. I pushed the start as we crossed the first timing mat and pushed stop when we finished. My time was about 4 minutes faster than the "official chip time". That doesn't seem possible to me. I am usually within a few seconds. Any ideas???? I am going to go with my time as I was pacing my DD who walked her first half marathon with the goal of completing it in 3:30. As her pacer, I kept her going at a pace that allowed us to finish in 3:28:27. Even beating her goal time. There is just no way that I could have been off by four minutes. wbertha ps was disappointed in the expo...no event t-shirts.
                          RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

My garmin must have liked the longer course as it read 13.14 as we crossed the finish line. However, I don't like the timing for the CDC. I pushed the start as we crossed the first timing mat and pushed stop when we finished. My time was about 4 minutes faster than the "official chip time". That doesn't seem possible to me. I am usually within a few seconds. Any ideas???? I am going to go with my time as I was pacing my DD who walked her first half marathon with the goal of completing it in 3:30. As her pacer, I kept her going at a pace that allowed us to finish in 3:28:27. Even beating her goal time. There is just no way that I could have been off by four minutes. wbertha ps was disappointed in the expo...no event t-shirts.
                            The timing device rebooted shortly after the start so many folks start time was gun time NOT chip time. Go with your watch time. No event t-shirt? There was one in your "goodie" bag. OK it's very plain but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. The expo was especially lame with the usual suspects selling their crap quality merchandise.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

John Weigel

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm still not convinced it was only 13.28. My splits just don't make sense then, unless every mile other than the 2 long miles were short. Oh-well; pointless to get too worked up about it. Banco has always seemed to be pretty accurate and a great course, so I will gear up for that one. Smile