Run like an ostrich (Read 292 times)

JimR

Awesome.  Sounds like an area of science worthy of diligent pursuit.

Walk-Jogger

We're going to have to develop bird-like body shapes and weight distributions to make this work, aren't we?

Retired &  Loving It

Awesome.  Sounds like an area of science biomimeticism worthy of diligent pursuit.

FYP.

Dave

#artbydmcbride

We're going to have to develop bird-like body shapes and weight distributions to make this work, aren't we?

Runners run

Ostrich knees are backward.  Do we need our legs reversed to do this properly?

Wing

Joggaholic

Ostrich knees are backward.  Do we need our legs reversed to do this properly?

I heard this thing runs fast...

Walk-Jogger

^ He needs to eat some bird food or a few pizza's. Zero percent body fat isn't healthy!

I heard this thing runs fast...

Retired &  Loving It

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Only the real joke is that I've been teaching ostrich running biomechanics for years. While mocked by many, its nice to see the stupid people finally catching up...

Especially since the fastest sprinters on record utilize ostrich running and quicker than Usain Bolt.

The only problem is that the researcher lacks the comprehension (by his own admission) to the balance skills they utilize.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Especially since the fastest sprinters on record utilize ostrich running and quicker than Usain Bolt.

If only there was something like an international race type thingy where fast people could be compared side by side.  Maybe we could write down the fastest time and call it, oh, I don't know the Globe Record?  Hmm, Earth Record?  Human Record?  Still not right . . . I'm sure you guys will coin something.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

sport jester

Biomimeticist

If only there was something like an international race type thingy where fast people could be compared side by side.  Maybe we could write down the fastest time and call it, oh, I don't know the Globe Record?  Hmm, Earth Record?  Human Record?  Still not right . . . I'm sure you guys will coin something.

Actually the race has been done and documented. Because the fastest sprinters are the Aborigines and their speed record is locked in stone to tell the story. As you can see in the photo of the story, they ran with a technique which no sprint coach, running coach, or "expert" can even describe, let alone mimic

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/the-runners-of-20000bc/2005/12/21/1135032083655.html

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Birdwell

Actually the race has been done and documented. Because the fastest sprinters are the Aborigines and their speed record is locked in stone to tell the story. As you can see in the photo of the story, they ran with a technique which no sprint coach, running coach, or "expert" can even describe, let alone mimic

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/the-runners-of-20000bc/2005/12/21/1135032083655.html

oh, that's interesting.

Question.

Is ostrich an acceptable alternative to turkey on Thanksgiving?

I had an ostrich burger once.  It was good.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I had an ostrich burger once.  It was good.

Well that was nice; eating the best running coach on planet earth today...

The real joke is that if anyone were to truly learn how these athletes run, you could be running 20% faster than you do right now.

Even funnier is that most people are far too ignorant and arrogant to think that's possible, but they'll spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars buying anything under the sun to help them run faster rather than ask how to do it.