The Muscle Factor Model (Read 3142 times)

Rich_

do you mean, not all of them should be stressed? which ones shouldn't be? why? I'm curious.

Training in accordance with the Muscle Factor Model

So far we have discussed the basic physiological premise of the muscle factor model. We can sum up the physiological premise this way: Only those individual muscle fibers that are sufficiently overloaded will adapt. You overload individual muscle fibers, not an entire muscle. If you don't sufficiently overload an individual muscle fiber it won't adapt.

This physiological fact has tremendous training implications. In short, it tells us that to maximize performance requires optimally training all (or as many as is reasonably possible) the fibers that are active during the chosen event.

Imagine for a moment that you were the coach of a competitive 8 person rowing team. As the coach of the team your responsibility is to get maximum performance from the team. It appears obvious that the only way to get maximum performance out of the team is by each member of the team producing maximum performance. The overall performance of the team is dependent on the combined performance of each member of the team - a poor performance of one or more team members results in a sub-par performance of the team as a whole.

How do you get maximum performance out of all 8 team members? You train all 8.

You wouldn't train just 4 of the team members and then expect the team as a whole to excel, would you?

If you don't train all the members of the team, the overall performance of the team will be less than its potential.

Think of your individual muscle fibers as being part of a team, because that's what they are. Fibers work together as a team. If you don't train all of your fibers then your overall performance will be sub-par. Optimally train all your fibers and your performance will as good as is possible for you.

The question that needs to be asked is "How do I train all the individual muscle fibers that are active during my event?"

Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
    JimR

The Rich_ philosophy of training would have the team members only training maybe once or twice a week, while the winning teams have been absolutely training their butts off every available opportunity.

When the Rich_ team members wonder why they finished so far the behind the other competitors, the Rich_ response is that they are genetically inferior to the ones that train their butts off and win, so it's not the fault of his philosophies, he just has crappy untalented team members

When the Rich_ team members wonder why they finished so far the behind the other competitors, the Rich_ response is that they are genetically inferior to the ones that train their butts off and win, so it's not the fault of his philosophies, he just has crappy untalented team members

I must inadvertently be following the Muscle Factor Model, 'cause that's how I've been explaining all my race results.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Part of the problematic muscular development issue partially addressed by the muscle factor model, is imbalances in gait, improper foot strike (landing incorrectly on the heel, instead of correctly on the toes), and incorrect cadence. Just reminding you all of the important issues.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

Part of the problematic muscular development issue partially addressed by the muscle factor model, is imbalances in gait, improper foot strike (landing incorrectly on the heel, instead of correctly on the toes), and incorrect cadence. Just reminding you all of the important issues.

I think your just reminding us that you like to drink on the weekend.

I think this bottle of rum is going to be a factor for my muscle model tomorrow.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac