The Muscle Factor Model (Read 3142 times)

Rich_

The problem with this is stupidly obvious. You are running a RACE three days a week. What do you think 5-7 miles at 10k pace actually is? A 10k RACE. 25 miles at marathon pace? How is that different than running a full marathon at marathon pace? Its not. Find me anyone who can run 3 all-out races a week, and let me be their coach and sponsor, Ill be a millionaire.
    Marathon pace workout = long runs (12 to 25 miles) conducted at easy to moderate intensity. This workout maximally trains the weakest but most enduring of Slow Twitch fibers. 1/2 marathon pace workoute = medium long run (8-12 miles) conducted at a moderate intensity (slightly faster pace than marathon pace). This workout maximally trains the average Slow Twitch fibers. 10k pace workout = medium distance (5-7 miles) run conducted at a moderate to moderately hard intensity (about 10k pace). This workout maximally trains the fastest Slow Twitch fibers and the slowest Fast A fibers 5k pace workout = shorter distance (2-4 miles) run conducted at a moderately hard intensity (about 5k pace). This workout maximally trains the average Fast A fibers. 2k pace workout = short distance (1-2 miles) run conducted at a hard intensity. This workout maximally trains the fastest Fast A fibers. Sprint pace workout = very short distance (100 meters - 1200 meters) sprints / intervals conducted at a very hard intensity. This workout maximaly trains the weakest of Fast B fibers. There is no requirement to run exactly at 10k pace, marathon pace, 5k pace etc. during a workout. The point is to run a distance and pace that trains the specific fibers you want to train in that workout, hence the use of the term "about" and descriptions of intensity. Clearly, if the overall intensity is too high for someone, they should lower the intensity to a level appropriate to their ability to recover and adapt.
    Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
      Dead
        Ryan, I learned on cable news that if you let the other guy set the terms of the conversation, you've already lost.
        Yep. Sorry everyone. Roll eyes
          Any training program which includes 6 different training paces, yet still manages to leave out the mid-run boner training option, is not for me.
            Ryan, I learned on cable news that if you let the other guy set the terms of the conversation, you've already lost.
            A diamond in the rough this is.
              Any training program which includes 6 different training paces, yet still manages to leave out the mid-run boner training option, is not for me.
              Is this a reference to running hard or Jeff's mastery?
                So a payphone is a monkey storage unit?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Is this a reference to running hard or Jeff's mastery?
                  Both. Or neither. At least one or the other. I just think if you are going to include that much variety in training, the boner run should make the cut. Are we supposed to just let the shorts with the silky lining sit on the shelf at home, never to be used in training again?
                    As far as I'm concerned, any "training" theory that does not improve runner's performance, regardless of their level, fast or slow, is not even worth the paper it's written on. One of my girls I've been working together since last November improved her 10k time by 3 minutes; another one I started working 2 months ago already improved her 5k time by a half a minutes, PRed her half marathon (can't remember what her previous time was...) and was stuck at 3:40 for the marathon (did it 4 times) and just ran 3:30 at Twin Citie marathon this weekend in that cold rainy miserable weather condition with headwind. I don't have any revolutionary descovery. I've gone back and forth with Dick at Cool Running, and I have NO intention of minggling with him again, and I've descovered that he has NO interest whatsoever, and he has said it himself, with running or training at all. He is interested in theories. And good for him for that. But I really don't think his theories has any use to those who run or those who are interested in improving their training/performance.
                    Rich_

...I've descovered that he has NO interest whatsoever, and he has said it himself, with running or training at all.
                      I've never said or implied any such thing. Why would you spread such a lie? I've been running for more than 26 years now. I started running consistently in Feb 1982 and have continued to this day (ran a tempo run this evening). Though in recent years a few old military injuries have somewhat limited my ability to run (being a Green Beret was tough on my body), I expect to continue running as long as my health and body permit.
                      Rich_

I've always like this story by Jim Rohn. Mysteries of the Mind by Jim Rohn "An interesting story says that the day the Christian church was formed, a magnificent sermon was preached. It was a great presentation. In fact, it was one of the classic presentations of all time. According to the story, this presentation was given to a multitude of people. When the sermon was finished, there were a variety of reactions from the onlookers. I find that fascinating since they were all listening to the same sermon. Some who heard the presentation were perplexed. I read the presentation, and it sounded pretty straightforward to me. Why would somebody be perplexed with a good, sincere, straightforward presentation. The best answer I've got is that they are chronically perplexed people... Some who heard this presentation mocked and laughed. They made fun of the presentation. The presentation seemed pretty sincere to me. If you give a sincere, honest presentation, why would somebody mock and laugh? There's an easy explanation: they are the mockers and the laughers. What else would you expect them to do?... Some that heard this magnificent presentation didn't know what was going on. Those are the people who usually don't know what's going on. Finally, some that heard the presentation chose to believe, and I think that's who the speaker was looking for, the believers... With anything in life, some will believe, some will mock, some will laugh, some will be perplexed, and some won't know what's going on. And you just have to leave it at that. In this particular story, as far as we know, there weren't classes after the presentation to try to de-perplex the perplexed. As far as we know, they left them perplexed. They left the mockers mocking. They left the laughers laughing. All the needed to build a church were the believers..."
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I've always like this story by A.A. Milne Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne “"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?" "What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?" "I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. "It's the same thing," he said.”...
                            A wonderful bird is the Pelican, His beak holds more than his belly can.

Hawt and sexy

Ahhh, Richard99. Nice to see you again. Have Nobby been by yet, Dick?

I'm touching your pants.