I'm a loser. (Read 1253 times)

After I ran Chicago I've been the biggest loser when it comes to my running. I've had some knee and shin pain and I've used that as an excuse to not go out and run. Somehow with hardly any training, I completed the St.Jude Half Marathon last month in a dismal time that was 20 minutes worse than my previous HM. Now I haven't run since 12/20...that's over 2 weeks ago. It's time to get my butt back in gear.
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Looking for any input, or just wallowing? GET OFF YOUR ASS AND RUN!!!! Hope that helped.
        Naw, I'm not really looking for any input. I'm just ranting about myself. I'm just kind of amazed that it was so easy for me to become so lazy so fast.
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Naw, I'm not really looking for any input. I'm just ranting about myself. I'm just kind of amazed that it was so easy for me to become so lazy so fast.
          I've found that it takes exactly ONE DAY for me to get lazy. That's why my goal this year is not to miss ANY runs, unless I'm on death's doorstep or we have another ice storm like in 1998, lol (God forbid). Just get back into it, and you'll do great! Just think how much you've accomplished already - I haven't done a half marathon yet! You have to be a good example for us newbies. Wink
            Get, I've been there a lot. I fall out of the routine quickly and each day that passes makes it harder to get back. It is SO frustrating when you come back too because you are running MUCH slower with more effort. ARRRGGHHH. I'm now coming back too so know that you're not alone. I ran a half in October and did a couple runs in november and december. Now is the time to kick it back into gear! Get running Get Gone, I'll be out there too... I promise.
            mdmccat
              Get, It is SO frustrating when you come back too because you are running MUCH slower with more effort. ARRRGGHHH. .
              This is the part that I dread. I'm thinking of leaving my Garmin at home so I won't have to see my horrible pace.
              higa

You are so not alone in this! Exactly the same thing happened to me when I ran my first marathon last year. A month later i couldn't even run 2k but i'm now training for another marathon. Don't be so hard on yourself. Get your injuries sorted and give yourself a time frame to get started again. Don't worry about times or whatever, if you have to go right back to basics do so. If that's the plan you make for yourself you wont be disappointed. You know you can do it you've proved that so just go out and make your top priority enjoyment. You will get your mojo back, promise!
                Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Ah yes, an object at rest tends to stay at rest. I know the story well. Loking forward to your "Ok, done feeling sorry for myself, went out for a great run" post.
                    Okay, it wasn't a great run, but last night I took a two mile jaunt around the neighborhood. I wasn't fast. It didn't come easy. It wasn't completely pain free, but I was out there. It was a start...again.

Dave

What you're experiencing is part of what motivates me. Some days it is hard to get out there. Every day I don't, I know it will suck that much more when I finally do. If you browse my log, you'll see huge gaps where I've had to suck it up and get back in shape after 6, 8, even 12 weeks without running. Soak in how much it sucks to have to get back in shape. Then use that feeling the next time its tough to get off the couch.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Carl A

To prevent such distress, I recommend regularly listening to Liveage, an album by The Descendents. And remember that, without the break, you may have messed up the knee and/or shin worse. If you want to run now, though, then run!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

JakeKnight

I feel you. I just took two weeks completely off, and only ran 20 miles in December, all in an effort to finally get rid of the pain in my foot ... and I've discovered that taking time off was the worst idea I ever had. This morning's tempo run my foot still hurt, but now I feel like a bloated whale. Just go run for the hell of it. Forget the watch. We'll both get back in shape in no time.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

I think I need to look at the race calendar and find a race I can train for. I know if I go ahead and pay a registration fee, that'll be all the motivation I need. I'm too tight with my money to pay for somthing and then not do it.

Feeling the growl again

Well, if it makes you feel better about becoming lazy so fast, I ran 4000+ miles in 2006 and a sub-31 10K, and in 2007 I fell off the wagon early, probably didn't hit 2000 miles, and am currently probably a 36+min 10K runner. That's called falling off the wagon and going under both sets of wheels! You just need to set some new, attainable goals and work towards them. While it's easy to get lazy fast, once you are used to running again you will be addicted again.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, if it makes you feel better about becoming lazy so fast, I ran 4000+ miles in 2006 and a sub-31 10K, and in 2007 I fell off the wagon early, probably didn't hit 2000 miles, and am currently probably a 36+min 10K runner. That's called falling off the wagon and going under both sets of wheels! You just need to set some new, attainable goals and work towards them. While it's easy to get lazy fast, once you are used to running again you will be addicted again.
                                Wow, spaniel, you are on such a different plane of reality from me! Good luck getting back up to speed, and I'll keep aiming for a 30-minute 5k! Teresa