Speedwork question (Read 547 times)

Hi been running on and off past year and a half anf past 6 months have been running consistently building up to 30 mpw using low heart rate training. Been considering throwing in an interval session for 2-3 mpw and maybe tempo run for around 2-3 miles for either part of my midweek 8 miler or weekend long run. My question is would speedwork like the above be counterproductive year round if i keep it at roughly 10% of total mileage or would that be considered ok 52 weeks out of the year? I hear that 10 % is the right mix but not quite sure if year round is a good idea. Longest I have ran was tonight for 13.1 miles and got it in 2:17 and have a goal for a half marathon of faster than 2 hrs for may 3rd. Thanks for any replies Mark
      As long as you are recovering well there's no problem having some speed in your schedule all year round. The farther you are from a goal race, the less formal and less intense you want it to be. Things like 3 x 8 minutes on / 3 minutes off, or 8 x 2 minutes on / 1 minute off are good year round, generall fitness workouts. You can adjust what pace on and off = based on time of year and how you're feeling.

Runners run

SMART Approach

Mark, Absolutely, it is ok the include some faster stuff year round after you have a strong aerobic base. Newer runners think they have to run faster to get faster. Not true. This may work short term but one gets stale and progress halts. You are a low mileage runner so you need to be careful with the real fast stuff (sustained 5K pace and faster). You will respond quite well to it and quickly so no need to do year round or cut volume. Per Tinman, it is crucial to do two bigger work outs per week for great race results in all races especially halfs and full marathongs. Here are some half marathon work outs I have done over two bigger work out per week leading up to half marathon. Focus on two work outs. All other days are easy controlled running. These will be effective for you especially for half training without eroding aerobic base. Long Run Every other mile pick up the pace to around 30 sec slower than goal half marathon pace Last 2-3 mile of long run pick up pace to goal half marathon pace 2 miles slower, 2 miles at 30 sec. slower than goal pace etc After each long run do 6-8 quick striders at end or 4 X 200M fast (as race approaches). You will respond to to this. You don't need much real fast stuff on your miles to sharpen up. Most people do too much. Mid Week Longer Run Work up to 5 sustained miles of a pace about 50-60 sec slower than your current 5K race pace or around 30 sec. slower than goal half pace (slow tempo)-awesome stamina training Work up to 5 X 1K Critical Velocity reps (or around your estimated 10K pace) with 60-120 sec rest between 3-4 X 1 mile at half marathon goal pace (assuming it is realistic) 2 min rest between Finish last 3 miles of run at a faster pace - progress each mile Again, do 6-8 quick striders after this work out or 4 X 200M fast with full recovery These are great work out for your mileage leading up to race. You can rotate. Slowly build up to what I recommend above. Don't jump in full bore tomorrow. In offseason, just fine to do striders a couple times per week but maybe not quite as fast. Fine to do CV reps but maybe onle 3 X 1K and more rest between (120 sec). Also fine to do the Fartleks Mike mentioned. Also, do the slow tempo of 3-5 miles. You will be amazed how doing some of this in offseason will make you faster going into the next race season.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Just Be

Mark, All good replies so far, but one other thing to note also... As you introduce speedwork into your routine, you'll probably see your regular run times get a bit slower for a few weeks while your body adapts to the increased demands brought forth by your new faster style of running.