Metric Millenium (Read 797 times)

Anyone in for a metric millenium? I am looking at the 1000 miles and thinking that may be more than I can realistically handle this year given my current level of fitness and my schedule. Anyone be up for trying for 1000 Km? Eric said he would set up other pace bunnies, but I dont want to be the only one racing against the bunny! Big grin
      I am definitely in for that. I was looking at the 1000 miles too but I am currently injured and will be out for at least all of January, and then slow to get back into it, so I don't know that hitting the 1000 miles is possible for me. I'll race the 1000 km bunny with you. Do I still join the 1000 Mile group??
        Yeah, I was contemplating switching to that too. I'm training for triathlons and maybe adventure races as well and an average of 19-ish miles a week seems like it's really stretching for me. I want some big number to aspire to though!
        Wingz

Professional Noob

FYI, I broke out the calculators today and saw that the metric millenium would need averaging just under 12 miles/wk. I set up the group under Training Groups - sign up at http://www.runningahead.com/groups/1000K! Don't join the 1000 Mile group; join this one instead! Abbaroodle, once you join I'll leave it and name you owner. Happy trails!

Roads were made for journeys...

FYI, I broke out the calculators today and saw that the metric millenium would need averaging just under 12 miles/wk. I set up the group under Training Groups - sign up at http://www.runningahead.com/groups/1000K! Don't join the 1000 Mile group; join this one instead! Abbaroodle, once you join I'll leave it and name you owner. Happy trails!
            Hey, Thanks for setting this up! I am actually going to remain a member of both! How is that for ambitious - I will run both 1000Km and 1000 miles in the same year without going over or under either. Evil grin Way to start off with an unreachable goal! Seriously, I am going to stay a member of both and if I end up getting closer to 20 miles a week, I will try to keep it up. If my schedule is as predicted, I will be happy with averaging 3 4-milers a week. Cool
              I am so copying Abbradoodle. Big grin

Finished!

I'm joining, tho after my run on the weekend I have no idea if I'm going to be able to keep up the pace. Once forced to treadmill, all joy of running is lost for me Sad (I live where it's great to run during the winter and it is just awful in the summer (way too hot))
                Walk + Jog = wog.
                I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                  Once forced to treadmill, all joy of running is lost for me Sad (I live where it's great to run during the winter and it is just awful in the summer (way too hot))
                  Same here- once May hits running outside in the heat and humidity is BRUTAL. Last year I was treadmilling it until July when I started running outside and it was a shock to the system. This year I'm hoping to continue with the outside running through from winter and maybe my body will attempt to adjust to the humidity.
                    I'm having group envy. Why are all the other training groups cooler and more popular than mine? I mean, I know I am not one of the cool-kids or anything, but I am sad there arent more folks out there who havent figured that out yet. Dead

Finished!

fear not abbaroodle! I think you may get more joiners Smile 1k km is a fine goal for the year! I'm still going to be hard pressed to meet it once I get forced indoors for training!
                      Walk + Jog = wog.
                      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm having group envy. Why are all the other training groups cooler and more popular than mine? I mean, I know I am not one of the cool-kids or anything, but I am sad there arent more folks out there who havent figured that out yet. Dead
                        Silly! I'm betting it's two things: 1) 1000 miles *sounds* more impressive. 2) The Metric Millenium wasn't out there first. Give it some time - and maybe periodic advertising here in the forums - and I'll bet you see your membership grow. And you know what? You're getting your own pace bunny and don't have to fight your way through the crowds over in the 1000 mile group. What are you complaining about??? Drop a link every couple of months over in the Running 101 forum so that newer runners especially will see it... Also... Don't forget... runnig and RA are... all about you!!! Who cares what everyone else is doing? Go run. Have fun. Love it. Big grin

Wingz

Professional Noob

Another thought - you might want to change the group name to "1000 Kilometers ... The Metric Millenium" or something like that with the number 1000 in front so that when people go browsing for groups they will find it right next to the 1000 mile and 1500 mile groups...

Silly! I'm betting it's two things: 1) 1000 miles *sounds* more impressive. 2) The Metric Millenium wasn't out there first. Give it some time - and maybe periodic advertising here in the forums - and I'll bet you see your membership grow. And you know what? You're getting your own pace bunny and don't have to fight your way through the crowds over in the 1000 mile group. What are you complaining about??? Drop a link every couple of months over in the Running 101 forum so that newer runners especially will see it... Also... Don't forget... runnig and RA are... all about you!!! Who cares what everyone else is doing? Go run. Have fun. Love it. Big grin
                            I think you took me way too seriously. I did change the name - good point! We are now "1000 Km-The Metric Millenium Maniacs" Shocked Besides, I wouldnt want to have to run with a crowded virtual pace-group or anything like that. Wink
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

Nah, not too seriously! Tongue But you have a point about the group not selling like hotcakes. It should!!! I think that it's a *perfect* group for first year runners (no insult intended to veteran runners here!) and wish more would sign up for it. Hope the name-switch does the trick!

va

We are now "1000 Km-The Metric Millenium Maniacs"
                                This is all about marketing. You'll bring in the most members by simply calling it the "500 Mile Club". The "Metric Millenium" sounds like the title of a futuristic sci-fi action thriller. Big grin