POP QUIZ: Nutritional Info (Read 966 times)

What a PITA it is to calculate how many cals and crap are in a bag of microwave popcorn! So here is my question: How many calories and grams of fat you think are in the entire bag of this popcorn? Statement on box: Serving size - 2Tbsp (about 32g) Unpopped, (About 5 cups popped) Servings per bag - about 2.5 Servings per box - about 10 Amount per Serving 2T Unpopped 1 cup popped Calories 150 25 Calories from fat 80 15 Total Fat - 8g DISCLAIMER** I KNOW this isn't good for you, but I folded last night! So please - no comments!! And no, I didnt eat the whole bag Wink And lastly, Why the hell do they even bother to list nutr. info for unpopped amounts?!?!? Its not like youre actually going to cut the bag open and take out how many tablespoons you want! I can understand if its a container of kernels for an air popper or something, but WHY on this!!!???

Oh Mighty Wing

So the bag has about 5 cups of popcorn in it and for 1 cup you get 25 Cal's and 15g Fat (if i'm reading it correctly) So that's 125 Cal and 75 Fat and they probably have to put both because it's not a clear ratio from one to the other. It's not like popped it decreased by half or whatever, so they probably put both just to cover their own in the event people want to get huffy over it...

The Greatest of All Time

I have been there...figuring out microwave popcorn used to throw me too.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Answer: Take a plain brown paper bag. Add in unpopped popcorn. Microwave x 3 minutes. Total calories: very very few Fat calories: none
            Answer: Take a plain brown paper bag. Add in unpopped popcorn. Microwave x 3 minutes. Total calories: very very few Fat calories: none
            Works like a charm. Do this all the time. Cost effective and healthy. Orville Redenbacher's secret has been revealed. It's in the bag, baby.
              I had no idea. Do you seal it in any way? Leave an opening to vent?
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just roll the top of the bag down a couple of turns.

Why is it sideways?

You sure are a fart smeller smart feller.

A Saucy Wench

LMAO - the blessed conundrum of microwave popcorn. This is a topic that has foiled even experienced dieters...because sometimes if you look carefully it looks like calories are dissappearing in the popping process. The total calories in the bag for the unpopped and popped dont match on many labels...because they use some "factor" to take in to account the average unpopped kernels, etc. I was trying to find the thread I saw on this topic on a weight loss site. I just get the mini bags and eat the whole dang thing... problem solved. (100 or 110 cals depending on the brand)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Tremont

Another trick is to sprinkle nutritional yeast (in addition to a little salt) on popcorn. It tastes great (Frito-lay adds yeast to Doritos for flavor - look at the ingredients) and also supplies some of those amino acids which are in short supply in corn.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I often sprinkle a touch of parmesan cheese onto it. The vanishing calories likely result from some of the fats sticking to the side of the bag and some being released with the steam.
                          For real? I feel like an idiot. It never crossed my mind to just...pop popcorn in a different paper bag. I thought there was voodoo magic in the microwave kind or something.
                          Heroes never die. They just reload.
                            My wife adds a dash of sugar to make it taste like Kettle Corn. We started doing this because of our daughter's milk allergy. If you look closely at the commercial stuff modified milk ingredients are usually one of many, many ingredients. Odd since popcorn is simply popped corn.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For real? I feel like an idiot.
                              For real. The food industry does not want you to know that most if the stuff they proffer is just an over-processed, over-additived, over-priced version of much simpler and healthier fare. There is no magic. Just corn and heat. The only reason for the bag is to hold it in, so it does not end up all over the kitchen. Heck, you can even make popcorn in a pot Wink Eat food.
                                For real. The food industry does not want you to know that most if the stuff they proffer is just an over-processed, over-additived, over-priced version of much simpler and healthier fare. There is no magic. Just corn and heat. The only reason for the bag is to hold it in, so it does not end up all over the kitchen. Heck, you can even make popcorn in a pot Wink Eat food.
                                I make it in a pot at home, but this is a great work option. It honestly never occurred to me. Thanks! Big grin