could it be? mac support for the garmin 405 is here? (Read 1183 times)

ymmv

http://www8.garmin.com/fitness/getting_started_ant_mac.jsp I'm going to try it out. Wish me luck!
      I have not downloaded it yet but there has been mixed reviews. Some people are having trouble loading data & some say it works. We will see?
      "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." Lou Holtz
      slowbutsteady

I downloaded it last night and had a problem authorizing it on my comp. Called support today and they got it fixed in about 10 minutes. Now everything is great and transfers work fine. *happy dance*
        ymmv

I first loaded theANTAgent s/w on a mac laptop. I blew off the part about registering my 405 with Garmin Connect. I force-sent all the data from the 405 and it uploaded it from the 405 to the computer. Then.... nothing. I was waiting for Garmin Training Center to pop open or something. Fortunately, I had un-checked the 'delete files after transfer' preference, so my 405 was still loaded. I looked around and found the tcx files under my ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/.... directory No amount of fiddling would make the files auto-transfer to GarminConnect. I could upload them manually, though. The next day, on a different mac, I installed the ANTAgent s/w again, and followed the directions for having it automatically go to Garmin Connect. Another 'force send' and this time, all the data went to Garmin Connect. It looks like, at least for now, there is no software to push the data from the ANTAgent to the local Garmin Training Center app. I guess you can only send it to the online Garmin Connect site. So far, so good!

Imminent Catastrophe

tom, thanks for the tips. I downloaded the ANT connect thingy and after a few tries got it to work. Like you said, you have to search for the .tcx file, and it was where you said. This is great, one less reason to use Windows.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

Update: It seems that you cannot update the firmware with this driver. "Device not found". And now, for some reason, the ANT stick is no longer working in windows either. Sigh. It's always something with Garmin.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

xor

I thought stuff for the mac always 'just worked'.

Imminent Catastrophe

I thought stuff for the mac always 'just worked'.
                  It does. Unless you're Garmin. Then you get a waiver.

ymmv

Something else that could help others: I have always used Garmin Training Center (GTC) with my 405 via Parallels and WinXP on my Mac. I had not been using Garmin Connect (GC). I found that GTC would sometimes 'lose' workouts, so I always exported each new run after uploading it. I have a lot of tcx files laying around. Since the new Mac support came out, I have been transferring new runs to GC. I can also use their web interface to manually transfer files, one at a time. Instead of that, I found that I can copy batches of my old backup files into this directory: ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/[hashnumber]/Garmin Connect/Pending Uploads/ and each time I transfer a new run from my 405 to GC, the rest of the files in 'Pending Uploads' are also transfered. I'd like to see more features in GC, like the ability to export data, the ability to edit runs (like to delete bogus laps), etc
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Garmin is the yin to Mac's yang.

Why is it sideways?

Garmin is the yin to Mac's yang.
                        Seriously. I wore a Garmin for the first time last weekend and the data that it gave me threw me into a fit of perseveration. Connect the Garmin to anything you like, but be prepared for the consequences.

Imminent Catastrophe

Just got off the phone with Garmin. The ANT stick driver right now only works transferring workouts, will not work with firmware update. They are working on that. And BTW when I plug it into the Windoze side (Parallels)--Kernel Panic.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Boy, Garmin sure sucks at the software side of things. Wireless syncing isn't worth all these headaches. I better stock up on 305's.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.