National Marathon DC (Read 913 times)

Kimmie

We had a thread going on this over on coolrunning so I thought I'd start one here. Anyone running this? It's at the end of March and I still need to register. I haven't run as much I wanted to in the month of December, so time to get going with the training.

Hey, nice marmot!

I've signed up for the half. From everything I've read, it's a really good race. Well-organized and relatively small with a course that passes by numerous landmarks. I'm looking forward to it. I did read that last year the half course actually measured closer to 13.3, so hopefully they've sorted that out. I think people should look at the bright side. Everyone who finished the half last year PR'd 13.3 miles! Plus, you got an extra 0.2 miles that they didn't even charge you for at the registration. Double bonus!

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

CherryDG

I'm registered to run the full. I've read mostly good things about the race; hopefully they're all true. Smile

Dave

I ran it last year (the half). I think the course this year looks better and I'm fairly certain that they'll fix the issue with the route on the HM. I was so pissed last year. I was shooting for 2 hours and finished in about 2:01. Then I found out about the course length and they actually posted corrected times.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I ran it and qualified for Boston. I liked it. Flat for the first 13 miles, up Rock Creek Park for a few, a hellacious hill at 19 that (i thought) gave it character and then generally downhill from 20 on home. They had good pacers and the crowd was light, but not lonely. I love running around DC and this hits all the spots, including some neighborhoods that you might not visit at other times. The shirt was a cheap cotton NASCAR ad blanket and I still don't know what "Wirefly" is. Oh, and you get to compete against the DC mayor. This year, though, they've reversed the course for some reason, which is too bad. I may run the half prepping for Boston. I keep considering running the full as a training run, but I know it's a bad idea. Still . . .
            ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

I'm signed up for the full, and DW is running the half. We both ran the half last year and enjoyed it, including the "extra distance" so thoughtfully provided by a misplaced cone: fiugure I got my mony's worht on that one Tongue

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
              My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
              Ride 112 miles.
              Run 26.2 miles.
              Then brag for the rest of your life.
              -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Kimmie

Awesome! Great to see there are others running this. Next question: Are you following a specific training plan and if so, which one? What distance do you plan to run this weekend? I've been sick and I FINALLY feel better so I'm ready to get some distance in.

Hey, nice marmot!

I hear you on the sick part. I lost pretty much all of last week due to a damn cold. I've been following this guy's plan http://www.marathontraining.com/faq/faq_hm.html I'm a big fan of this plan. A lot of people might look at it and think it's too gradual. For instance, the plan takes between 23 and 27 weeks to complete, which I guess is slow compared to one of Hal Higdon's 12 week plans. Then again, I chose this plan because it was so much longer than all the 12 week ones. In the past, just about all of the issues I had with running were a direct result of too much, too fast. Therefore, I don't mind taking my time. As for this weekend, I have 4 miles lined up for Saturday and 9 set for Sunday.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

I usually just create a "Frankin-plan" kinda hobbled together from different sources and fine tuned each marathon cycle. I did get in an 18.5 mile run today after taking an entire week off due to sickness. glad to have gotten back out but man did I struggle at the end Roll eyes

Swim 2.4 miles.
                    Ride 112 miles.
                    Run 26.2 miles.

CherryDG

Next question: Are you following a specific training plan and if so, which one? What distance do you plan to run this weekend?
                      I'm reusing the training schedule that I had for the Marine Corp Marathon that was put together by the coaches of a local running club. It's a 22 week schedule and this weekend I'm supposed to run 16. The coaches were supposed to put together a schedule for spring marathons, but I've yet to see one and didn't want to wait around too long.
                        I have run the 1/2 twice and it has gotten better. The first year was a mess Tongue, but they are figuring it out. The shirt could be betterr considering it's the Nations capitol. The metro doesn't run early, but parking is easy and plenty. I would give it a 7 overall and will be there again this year KMS
                        Kimmie

Ok- Just checking in again. ran 10 miles yesterday and it felt awesome. I am also following a plan that our running coaches put together. Where is everyone located? Stella- you sound like you're a local. I'm 30 miles west of DC in northern VA. Loudoun County. I'm also a personal trainer and I'm attempting to stop working at the gym and start training on my own in people's homes. I just got my first "official" client. Only problem is, she wants to train in the mornings three times a week which is when I used to run. so, I just have to be creative and find other times.
                            I'm 30 miles west of DC in northern VA. Loudoun County.
                            I'm in DC! near the Van Ness Metro stop. I don't think I'll be running the national marathon (or half), but I will be doing the Cherry Blossom and I just signed up for the St Patrick's Day 8k. Should be fun!
                            I'm also a personal trainer and I'm attempting to stop working at the gym and start training on my own in people's homes. I just got my first "official" client. Only problem is, she wants to train in the mornings three times a week which is when I used to run. so, I just have to be creative and find other times.
                            Make her run with you!

sean

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

I live in the Fairfax county Portion of Alexandria. Just outside the Beltway. I am also running cherry Blossom the week after the National, that should be interesting Wink

Swim 2.4 miles.
                              Ride 112 miles.
                              Run 26.2 miles.

Kimmie

Make her run with you! ¥ou know, I do want to make her run with me. The only problem is she has been completely sedentary for the past 7 years, so it wouldn't be much of a workout for me. I'm thinking of changing into a night time runner. Smile I'm starting to seriously think about whether or not I have enough time to run National well. I got sick and was out of town which cut into training time. I may use National as a training run and then the full at Frederick.