Speaking of hot... (Read 1497 times)

As you can see, I am pretty knew to this running thing.  I have been building my miles and I am up to about 15 - 20 per week.  I comfortably run 4 miles 3 (or so) times a week and a longer run on the weekend.  I had a very strange thing happen to me Thursday.  For the first time, I couldn't finish a run.  It was hot and humid about 92 (which I have run in hotter) and I was gonna run about 4.5 miles.  At about 2.5 something happened.  I just got overwhelmingly hot.  I was hot the whole time, but at that moment I was so hot I couldn't stand it.  I then realized my breathing was out of control.  Usually I can focus and get it back under control not this time.  Then I just lost control of everything and couldn't run another step.  I started walking and after a about 10 minutes of walking I finally remembered to check my heart rate it was still sky high, about 89 % of max.  It usually comes down quickly.  I shortened my route and walked about 1/2 mile home and downed a powerade.  Once I regrouped a tad, jumped in the shower.  The rest of the evening I was going from having hot flashes to the point of sweating to chills with goose bumps.  I had hydrated and ate well during the day and as I stated have run when it's hotter.  What and why did this happen?  Is this considered heat exhustion?  If so what can/should I have done to prevent it.  Anyone have anything similar?  I am trying to train for a 5 mile race in 3 weeks that is always hot and humid.  Now not sure I should do it.  Talk about a blow to the ego.  I was so proud of the progress I had made and then I was just slapped in the face.  What could I have done to prepare better?  This morning I did run almost 7 miles  before it got hot.  When I started it was about 75, humid but nice.  Very nice run.  It did restore a little of my confidence but still a little shaken. 

I would appreciate any advice you all can give me.

samantha_r_l

I had a similar experience yesterday.

I've been going 13 miles on my long runs on the weekends, and planned to go 14 yesterday. It was 75 degrees, 94% humidity. Come mile 8, my system just said, "not today, you don't." I normally push through the rough spots when I'm running, but this one, I just couldn't. My legs barely made a shuffle, and I was still 6 miles from home. Basically I would jog for a 1/2 mile, then walk, over and over until I made it home. I felt trashed the rest of the day.

I'm training for my 3rd marathon, so I know this kind of thing isn't the norm. I know people run in all kinds of weather, but  for me, it took a tremendous toll on my system, and I couldn't push though it.

Consistently Slow

<h6>
        </h6> <h6>l</h6> <h6>
        </h6>

Run until the trail runs out.

2014***1500 miles 09/28/14

50miler 13:26:18

Race Less Train More

Pistol 100 ----01/03/15

Ana Trason  "Living Her Life"

"The Marble in The Groove"

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Consistently Slow

20 miler  yesterday. Dehydration set in at  mile 13. I had my hydration pack but realize it was still more than 2/3ths full . 95F  and you did not carry water? Not good.

Race Less Train More

Pistol 100 ----01/03/15

unsolicited chatter

What kind of hydration pack do you guys recommend.  I have recently started looking in to them.

samantha_r_l

I carry a Nathan Race Vest.

Consistently Slow

High Sierra Wave 50 Hydration Pack 1.5 L

Needed to add Velcro to straps for chest.

Does not have the mesh type pocket for storage. I just  place keys, phone and foodstuffs in beside the water bag.The small pocket will hold 2 gel packs.

$20 @ amazon in black.

Race Less Train More

Pistol 100 ----01/03/15

unsolicited chatter

Just sounds like one of those days to me. One thing I try to do is avoid running in direct sunshine, opting for early morning or early evening. I can handle heat and humidity, although at a somewhat slower pace, but not both plus direct sun.

Is a hydration pack really suggested for a 4.5 mile run?

Julia1971

I will usually carry my hand-held amphipod on my short runs (about an hour).  It holds about 20oz.  I load it with ice cubes and top it off with water so it stays chilled for a while.  Sometimes, I'll freeze a vitamin water or gatorade the night before and take that instead.  (If you do this, take a few sips from the bottle or it'll burst when it freezes).

My summer fuel belt is a Nathan that holds two 8oz bottles and has a little pocket.  It's very light weight but I still only wear it when I'm going to be out in the heat for a long while (like 1.5 hours).  And, I'll try to run a route that'll take me by a water fountain so I can refill them.  I also carry cash in case I need to stop at a 7-11 or gas station (or catch a bus).  I haven't had to use it this summer, but last summer I had a few crappy runs where I did.  I don't understand why I'm handling the heat better this year, but I'm not complaining.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
                    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

You might find it useful to step on a scale and check your temperature before and after running in hot weather.  We all respond differently to heat, and you need to learn how your body responds.  You may want to record this data in your running notes, along with temperature, dew point, and heat index. 

Some people need to hydrate early and often, while I can dehydrate up to about 7 lbs without discomfort or slowing down.  When the heat index is over 100, my body temperature starts to rise.  Outside temperature 92 deg with 74 F dew point is 102 F heat index. 

I had some of your symptoms when I got back from a run with a body temperature of 100 deg F.  If your problem is body temperature and you are still sweating, then hydration will not help.  If your problems correlate to dehydration, then hydration will help. 

Kathy, your experience does sound borderline dangerous.  Don't mess with heat exhaustion; be careful.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

I ran 8.5 yesterday in 100 degree weather with 44% humidity, carrying a disposable bottle that I filled up twice (I run past two water stations).  I wouldn't consider running even 3mi in this temperature without water.  I drank 1 1/5 liters of liquid and lost 3lb. 

Definitely pay attention to how your body feels and look out for earlier warning signals, if there were any.  My dad and brother were both found on the side of the road, post-seizure after ignoring similar symptoms. 

Worst case you carry your water with you the whole way, it's much better than running out.  Twice in the last week I've had to extend my run to get to the water as I'm running out far quicker than expected.   

I'm glad you're ok, that sounds really scary.