Cleaning a sweat-stained tech shirt? (Read 1023 times)

325th place or bust!

Any recommendations for cleaning a tech shirt that has sweat stains around the collar? Sad I'm afraid to use bleach or other harsh cleaners. The shirt is white but has the logo from a race in color on the back.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

Carl A

Does the label tell you what you can do to clean it? Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to run the race again next year. And congratulations on the first half!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Bleach reacts with some types of tech fabrics. On one of mine, left a horrible smell when it was washed with other regular clothes with a bit of bleach. I had to toss that shirt

325th place or bust!

Does the label tell you what you can do to clean it? Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to run the race again next year.
          It says no bleach on the label. Sad The dirty shirt in question is from the previous year (5K) and it's a short-sleeve tee while this year's is a long-sleeve. The short-sleeve shirt is more useful given the warm weather we generally have here.
          And congratulations on the first half!
          Thanks! It was very satisfying to be able to finish it...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oxyclean is good stuff for tech fabrics and organic stains on pretty much anything. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Try oxyclean or a similar oxygenated product, but in my experience, once you have ring-around-the-collar (or, for guys, the dreaded ring-around-the-boobies on a white tech shirt), you are pretty much cooked. Key tip: try not to run your tech clothes through the dryer. Once you've done this, you've probably set that stain and it will be an order of magnitude more challenging to remove, if indeed you even can.

Prince of Fatness

Key tip: try not to run your tech clothes through the dryer. Once you've done this, you've probably set that stain and it will be an order of magnitude more challenging to remove, if indeed you even can.
                Yeah, you could also wash it several times before it dries. Just throw it in with the next load if you are doing more. But as SR says, once these stains get in there, they are hard to get out. Also, no fabric softener, and no cling-free sheets if you do use the dryer. These will compromise the wicking capabilities of the fabric. For this reason I always hang dry these clothes. They dry fast anyway.

Not at it at all. 

I made the mistake recently of setting in the vaseline nipple stain. At least it is no longer visible once I start sweating. But it sure looks geeky to wear around nipple stained shirts.

Carl A

I got another brilliant idea last night: Wear it on a really hot day and then throw it in the dryer, thereby sweat-staining the whole thing. Really creative types could probably figure out how to make a sweat-stained tie-dye!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Jazz hands!

Really creative types could probably figure out how to make a sweat-stained tie-dye!
                      Remember that 80's / early 90's trend where all the girls would knot the bottom of their oversize t-shirt in a scrunchie? I'm imagining that, but everywhere. Of course, you'd look less like a tool just wearing the sweat-stained t-shirt around.
                      run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                        You tried soaking it and applying detergent straight to the stain? I am amazed at the stuff (blood) I've gotten out of clothes and the stuff (wine, rice seasoning, sweat, deodorant) I haven't. I'd like to know how to get antiperspirants out of clothes.

Vim

325th place or bust!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try soaking it in detergent and if that doesn't work try the Oxyclean, and let you know how it works...

xor

Remember that 80's / early 90's trend where all the girls would knot the bottom of their oversize t-shirt in a scrunchie? I'm imagining that, but everywhere. Of course, you'd look less like a tool just wearing the sweat-stained t-shirt around.
                            Do you remember this? Weren't you, like, 4 or something?

Stain? I did not know sweat had a color. I thought it was clear as water. Am I missing something here?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

xor

Stain? I did not know sweat had a color. I thought it was clear as water. Am I missing something here?
                                Yes.