New runner (Read 929 times)

BookaBazza

Sorry to ask silly questions but I have just started running. I have been playing football twice a week for a few years so have an ok baseline fitness. I started with 2 mile runs every other day this week and it is now obviously not far enough but I dont want to push too far too soon. I was thinking if one more 2 mile run this week and then a 4 mile run on Monday then 2 miles on Wednesday and 4 miles on Friday and see how that goes - does that sound reasonable. I have ordered a HRM which should arrive by the weekend. My main aim is cardio fitness and to lose 3 stone over the course of this year (and to keep it off) Thanks in advance for any tips. BB

Hawt and sexy

Wouldn't it just be easier to pass the stones? I see no questions.

I'm touching your pants.

A Saucy Wench

Dont mind willamona...she has taper madness Welcome! Slow and steady is the way.... Good luck with the weight loss too! We have a weight loss forum if you want to join us there. Make sure you have good shoes - way more important than the HRM Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

BookaBazza

Hmm thanks for that welcome LOL I have good shoes so am sorted on that front

A Saucy Wench

Whoops forgot to give you the link to the WEIGHT LOSS GROUP

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Welcome. Be sure to stretch to prevent shin splints. From 0- 12 miles a week maybe a little too much.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BookaBazza

Welcome. Be sure to stretch to prevent shin splints. From 0- 12 miles a week maybe a little too much.
                Thanks for that - I have gone from 2 hours of football to 2 hours football + 6 miles running in week 1 to increase to 10 miles in week 2 and hold it there for a couple of weeks - should that be OK?

A Saucy Wench

Depends...Are you a lineman or a running back.... Blush Whoops. You refer to weight in stones so I am guessing by football you mean american soccer. Tongue probably more run/fit all around...forward or back? If you run a lot in football you may have a semi decent base, but the legs need to adjust to pavement. Yeah hold it there for a few weeks and let your body get used to it. Make sure you arent running too fast<---number 1 rookie mistake. your runs should almost be painfully slow. 1="" rookie="" mistake.="" your="" runs="" should="" almost="" be="" painfully="" slow.=""></---number 1 rookie mistake. your runs should almost be painfully slow. >

Member Since 2008

Welcome. Go easy, do not rush things.
                      Try to follow the 10% rule. You should not increase volume and/or intensity more than an average of 10% per week. You don't have to be exact. Some weeks you will push it and some weeks you should back off. Personally what has worked for me... one week work on miles per week, the next week work on miles per your longest run. Keep changing it up so your body can't get used to it. If you want to make this a long term commitment the easier and slower you go now the better it will be latter. You have your whole life in front of you to master this thing called running Smile
                        Running in soccer is a lot different than distance running and vice versa. My son was an avid soccer player through high school and while I could never catch him on the field, I could lose him in the street because I could run for as long as it took. Soccer develops fast twitch muscles which enable you to be much quicker on your feet, but since they don't contain as many blood vessels as the slow twitch muscle you build with distance running, they can't sustain a long term effort. Stick to your current schedule for a while and see how you feel. Pavement is a lot harder on your legs than grass so it will take some time to adapt. Proper shoes are important as is running at the proper pace. Try to stay at a pace where is is relatively easy to carry on a conversation and you'll develop good aerobic conditioning with less chance of injury. I'm not big on HRM's for beginning runners because it is very difficult for a new runner to determine their max heart rate (the 220-age formulae do not work) and they tend to be distracting. Just use your breathing rate as a guide. In regards to losing weight; running doesn't burn as many calories as you might think, but it certainly stimulates your appetite. If you want to lose weight, your running must be combined with good eating habits. In fact, responsible eating habits have much more influence on your weight than any form of exercise. Tom
                        BookaBazza

Thanks everyone for your responses. And yes I do mean Soccer and I generally play on harder surfaces. I am going to buy some good trainers now. Tom - thanks for the sound advice - I am an almost qualified osteopath and have a fair bit of nutrition training to am well aware of the need for good diet (so far so good on cutting down on the rubbish Blush )
                            Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09