Order runs in the training week? (Read 956 times)

I have just recently gone from running 3X per week to 4X and I'm in the first week of the Hal Higdon Spring Training. Due to practical reasons I'm needing to tweak the plan a little. It prescribes, for this week, 1.5 Tue, 3 Wed and 1.5 Thur with a long run on Sun and cross training Sat. As the plan continues the 3 mile mid week stays the same as the short runs and the weekend long run lengthen. I'm doing a short run Tues and the 3 miler on Thurs and then was hoping to be able to complete the other short run and the long run on the weekend. I will have Monday off and cross train various flavours on Wed and Friday. My question is this. In your experience should I do the long run on Saturday or Sunday. ie either before or after the other short run. I might just experiment and see what works but I thought in your collective wisdom you might have some rationale. I know that this plan is low mileage and so some might say it doesn't matter, just run, but this is relatively big mileage for me since I'm new and I want to get the most out of all the runs while hopefully minimizing injuries. Should I just bite the bullet and follow the plan to the letter with those 3 days of consecutive running? I run during the work day while there is still some day light and so I'm just trying to minimize the time I need to take out of my work days for running. I'm sure I could work it in some how but two runs on the weekend just feels easier to manage right now that it is winter and I'm just getting the swing of fitting it in (plus I'm slow so that 3 miler takes me 45 min Smile
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
      When it comes to formal plans, I find the most important thing is to fit the running into YOUR life. Doing it the other way around stresses me out - i.e. "Oh crap - it rained on Tuesday - so I missed the such and such workout - now I have to reschedule". Whether you are running 10 miles a week or 50 miles a week - I don't think it matters much which day gets which run. The easier it is for you to fit in the running - the more likely you are to do it.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just try to avoid back-to-back hard/long runs. Other than that I like making my own training plan that is half concepts that the pros recommend and half what I know works for me (and my schedule).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Bonkin is Spot On..... Another reason why RA is such a great website, the knowledge and experience of runners willing to share is un-matched. I was given similar advice in my Half Marathon training. Life will get in the way of your training plans sometimes, and you just have to customize a plan to suit your needs. I think having a plan is the first good sign. I am not a good runner without a training plan laid out in front of me to keep my mileage and training in check. I have only just recently started running 5 days a week, and for me, my long run is always Sundays for practical reasons. Saturday before, I will do a VERY EASY 3 miles, and then my long run. Typically I will rest on Monday, but sometimes a quick 2-3 mile recovery run is nice on the day after the long run. Recovery runs are of very short duration, at a very very slow pace, just to un-cramp the muscles. You are doing Great, and training well... keep it up! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Wingz

Professional Noob

Yeah. The running plan that will help you most is the one that YOU can stick to. If running on one day vs another makes a big difference to you in your schedule, then that's what you need to do. The running plan serves the runner, not the other way around. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Agreed with the general feeling here. Be flexible. Although zoomy, quality workouts on back to back days isn't always bad as long as your quality for the week still isn't too high.... it can help keep you from hammering them both, at least after the first week you try them back to back. Helpful for people starting out or who tend to over-run quality workout (this is me putting up my hand)
              Dunottar

"Order runs in the training week?" Oh, absolutely! There are others, but I've found OnTheRun.com (web and brick & mortar) to have the fastest service. They'll even deliver to whatever starting point you choose. (My fave is the 6 Mile Tempo with a side of strides. Mmmmm....delicious.) Unfortunately, you can't order a run in a non-training week. At least at this point. Big grin
                  All these plans are good - Of course Hal is great - but you have to taylor them to fit what feels good for you and your life style......so if I were you I would experiment and do what seems right to you.....I personally like to do my long runs on Sunday morning cause its the only day that my wife will let me set around all afternoon and watch TV cause Im tired.....all other days Im workin and on Sat, my wife always has lots of projects around the house...she doesnt seem to understand that my running priority is more important then her house fix up priority (but we all know who is the boss - which is why I'm usually workiing around the house on Saturday - instead of going for a long run)........

Champions are made when no one is watching

milkbaby

Wee, if it was me, I would do whatever felt better. If either way feels fine, then just go with whatever feels better psychologically.
                    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura