Sacrificing a Second.... (Read 281 times)

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

(deleted my correction of link)

Interesting story; thanks for posting.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Fixed link

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Mysecondnewname

That is VERY cool!  Way to go, Jaylee!

Thanks for posting that.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

If my daughter did that, I'd make her do 300 pushups, with her brother sitting on her back.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

If my daughter did that, I'd make her do 300 pushups, with her brother sitting on her back.

Smile

steph  

You'll ruin your knees!

So, how did the "other runner" feel about it?  She was referred to as "dead weight"!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

See, this is why the Millenials are slow-pokes; it's a RACE you're supposed to leave the slow behind!  That's kinda the whole point.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

#artbydmcbride

But if you get up or crawl across the line yourself you get the points, don't you?  If someone lifts you and helps you across, you get DQ'd right?   I'd be mad!  Angry    Big grin

Runners run

TJoseph

But if you get up or crawl across the line yourself you get the points, don't you?  If someone lifts you and helps you across, you get DQ'd right?   I'd be mad!  Angry    Big grin

She was a quarter mile from the finish.  That is a long way to crawl.

"Me," a name, I call myself!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Well she could have just walked. Or jogged. Or quit. Either way big whoop.

I mean stories like this are nice, I guess, in an ABC After School Special kind of way. But this was a collegiate cross country race, not some kind of survival trek across the wilderness. And the woman who was on the ground  wasn't in any real distress--she had just gone out too fast and was kinda tuckered. Had she been in the midst of an actual emergency, there were dozens of coaches, athletic trainers and such to help her.

She and the runner who helped her were both the 9th runners on their teams and finished like 179th and 181st. So nobody actually sacrificed anything. Despite the artistic license that the writer took with the opening line of the article, time means nothing in cross country racing. The top 5 runners on each team score, the top 7 can displace, and everyone else is just participating.

Sorry to be that guy, but hey.

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

She was  "in sight of the finish lline"   the story said her coach was 400m from the finish, so didn't see it happen.

Runners run

TJoseph

She was  "in sight of the finish lline"   the story said her coach was 400m from the finish, so didn't see it happen.

My mistake