Superhuman or just a good Endurance Runner? (Read 459 times)

every time I see DK, I read Donkey Kong

I see DK and I think Dead Kennedys.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

With or without the hard chocolate shell?  That's important, you know!

With!

steph  

xhristopher

With or without the hard chocolate shell?  That's important, you know!

Sunday on I stopped 7 miles into my run and had a soft serve vanilla dipped in chocolate with my son. Then I ran 1.5 miles home. I highly recommend it.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Sunday on I stopped 7 miles into my run and had a soft serve vanilla dipped in chocolate with my son. Then I ran 1.5 miles home. I highly recommend it.

Nice.

steph  

BeeRunB

Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner by Dean Karnazes is my favorite book about running. He certainly deserves attention for writing this funny, enjoyable book. It wasn't ghost written, and he never calls himself great on the cover or in the book. I've also never heard him in any interview say he was a great runner, and he always speaks well of other competitors. He's an entrepreneur, and in good old American fashion, wrote a good book and capitalized on the success. He's been smart enough to create a public persona through self-promotion that has made him a good living to provide for his family. Any fortune he's enjoyed has been created through hard work. He has charisma, and there's nothing wrong with using it to further business and charitable pursuits. There have always been athletes, who weren't the best, who have cashed in on their charisma and personalities.

I've found him inspiring in more than a few ways. He wrote, finished and published a book. He won Badwater, Vermont, and the 4 Desert Race Series. He has been successful at business. He has shown me that human beings are capable of incredible feats of endurance.  Before I read his book,  I wasn't aware of ultramarathons, Badwater, Western States, and that runners were pushing themselves that far. Now, even though I have never run an ultra, I'm a big fan of the sport because of him. His book led me to other good books (like Running Through The Wall) and becoming aware of some great ultra-runners. His stunts of endurance have raised big money for charity. He's created Karno Kids, which raises money for youth programs and the environment.  I imagine more than a few kids and adults have been inspired by him to get out there and run, and to create better health for themselves. I count myself as one of that group.

He's not the prince of darkness, but a positive, creative force in the world.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner by Dean Karnazes is my favorite book about running. He certainly deserves attention for writing this funny, enjoyable book. It wasn't ghost written, and he never calls himself great on the cover or in the book. I've also never heard him in any interview say he was a great runner, and he always speaks well of other competitors. He's an entrepreneur, and in good old American fashion, wrote a good book and capitalized on the success. He's been smart enough to create a public persona through self-promotion that has made him a good living to provide for his family. Any fortune he's enjoyed has been created through hard work. He has charisma, and there's nothing wrong with using it to further business and charitable pursuits. There have always been athletes, who weren't the best, who have cashed in on their charisma and personalities.

I've found him inspiring in more than a few ways. He wrote, finished and published a book. He won Badwater, Vermont, and the 4 Desert Race Series. He has been successful at business. He has shown me that human beings are capable of incredible feats of endurance.  Before I read his book,  I wasn't aware of ultramarathons, Badwater, Western States, and that runners were pushing themselves that far. Now, even though I have never run an ultra, I'm a big fan of the sport because of him. His book led me to other good books (like Running Through The Wall) and becoming aware of some great ultra-runners. His stunts of endurance have raised big money for charity. He's created Karno Kids, which raises money for youth programs and the environment.  I imagine more than a few kids and adults have been inspired by him to get out there and run, and to create better health for themselves. I count myself as one of that group.

He's not the prince of darkness, but a positive, creative force in the world.

I agree with pretty much all you say, jimmyb.   I loved his book.  It was enjoyable and a very positive read.

Made me want to go out and run forever.   Not to mention, eat lots of pizzaWink 

In contrast, after finishing his book I went in search for more ultra reading and came up with Pam

Reed's book.   OMG.  That book was the most depressing, whiny, oh pity me...threw it away without finishing it.

Not knowing any thing about ultra running at the time, I'm thankfull that I found his book before finding hers!

And I think it's great that he's able to make a good living doing what he enjoys.

steph  

Run Wild

Marshall Ulrich, Running on Empty

A must read for ultrarunners!

Marsh Ulrich

that must be Lars' endurance gifted, yet musically inept, brother?

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

bhearn

I agree with pretty much all you say, jimmyb.  

I actually agree with most of it as well. And the few personal interactions I've had with him have been nice enough.

But... he has engineered his image to be that of an ultrarunning superstar, and it's just not the case. He also has a tendency to take more credit than he deserves for his accomplishments. One example, that 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days? He wasn't the first to do that. It wasn't his idea. It was Sam Thompson. He did it to raise money for Katrina victims. As he was completing his 50, Dean decided that would be a nice thing to do, and write a book about. So Dean is Mr. 50-in-50-in-50.

Does that make him a bad person? Hard to say. Other friends who know him better are more bitter about his popularity, and in particular, how he takes the limelight from far more deserving runners. Case in point, at the Boston Marathon expo last year, there was a huge line for his signature. While there was no line at all for... and now I can't even remember. Because it was all about Dean. I want to say Dick Beardsley. Someone of that caliber. The real marathon and ultra superstars are far more modest.

But Dean does bring people into the fold. So I cut him a lot of slack. That's why I'm really curious for the details on this cheating incident.

Steph, you mentioned Pam Reed. I haven't read her book, but IMO she's a far more accomplished runner.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I actually agree with most of it as well. And the few personal interactions I've had with him have been nice enough.

But... he has engineered his image to be that of an ultrarunning superstar, and it's just not the case. He also has a tendency to take more credit than he deserves for his accomplishments. One example, that 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days? He wasn't the first to do that. It wasn't his idea. It was Sam Thompson. He did it to raise money for Katrina victims. As he was completing his 50, Dean decided that would be a nice thing to do, and write a book about. So Dean is Mr. 50-in-50-in-50.

Does that make him a bad person? Hard to say. Other friends who know him better are more bitter about his popularity, and in particular, how he takes the limelight from far more deserving runners. Case in point, at the Boston Marathon expo last year, there was a huge line for his signature. While there was no line at all for... and now I can't even remember. Because it was all about Dean. I want to say Dick Beardsley. Someone of that caliber. The real marathon and ultra superstars are far more modest.

But Dean does bring people into the fold. So I cut him a lot of slack. That's why I'm really curious for the details on this cheating incident.

Steph, you mentioned Pam Reed. I haven't read her book, but IMO she's a far more accomplished runner.

Bob- I agree that Pam Reed is a more accomplished runner but not as a person maybe if she is

truly the person portrayed in the book.    Nothing positive in that book that I can recall.

I did read the 50/50 book also.   Now that one was disappointing.  I think that if he had written

that one first things would have gone differently for him.  Just my opinion.

I haven't met Dean.  I'm not a particular fan even.  I look at him as a guy with a product to sell - both

running and him self.  And he does it well.  Kind of like a Realtor or any other sales type person

I guessSmile   In that type job people do get jealous.  I listened to him on a podcast a few months back

and I got the impression that in a way he was a bit shy when answering questions.  It also felt like

he was waiting for the hammer to fall with each question from the interviewers.  Kind of weird vibes.

I too am curious about the  cheating thing.   If he did intentionaly cheat It would be sad undoubtedly.

steph  

That's why I'm really curious for the details on this cheating incident.

I don't know any details and really don't care too much about them.  I can only guess based on the course layout and other things I've read and noticed about the geography there.

The packet pickup hotel was the Grand Hyatt, and I'm guessing he was staying there since he was an "official host" and was the main hotel sponsor (I think).

The Grand Hyatt is not on the course of the half marathon or marathon.

The Grand Hyatt is about 1/4 mile east of the first turn north we did at about mile 1 after heading east.

He mentioned that he was late to the starting line by 6 minutes or so (according to the link you provided last night).  It says the roads were blocked (and they were and there weren't any other ways to get from the Hyatt to the starting line if you missed the last shuttle bus).  It's possible that he was running toward the starting line (west) while the herd of runners were approaching him.  It's possible that he didn't make it back to the starting line before he started heading east along the main road.

But based on the account that Bill Buley had, he was surprised that Dean passed him at mile 22 or thereabout.  If that were the case, I don't know why Dean wouldn't have ran to the starting line against the grain of traffic, and then started the race.

I'm guessing that he missed the last shuttle bus from the Hyatt to the starting line, and had to make the run. 

I also noticed that the race started about a minute or two before 6am.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Run Wild

Dean is going to be at my run this weekend.  What me to ask him about it?

http://www.thenorthface.com/en_US/endurance-challenge/madison-wi/?stop_mobi=yes

bhearn

I don't know any details and really don't care too much about them.  

Well, I care because someone in his position -- if it really did come down as claimed, he needs to be called out for it, big time. Maybe I shouldn't be calling him out here, because I haven't heard his side of it.

I'm guessing that he missed the last shuttle bus from the Hyatt to the starting line, and had to make the run. 

I also noticed that the race started about a minute or two before 6am.

The claim is that he jumped in directly from his condo.

Bob he honestly jumped into the race from his condo and honestly did not run the Marathon and honestly thought he should get an award ahead of someone that ran the distance honestly.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Well, I care because someone in his position -- if it really did come down as claimed, he needs to be called out for it, big time. 

Yes.

steph  

bhearn

But based on the account that Bill Buley had, he was surprised that Dean passed him at mile 22 or thereabout. 

He said he passed him about 4 miles in, not 4 miles to go.