Drafting (Read 1194 times)

Ok I just ran a 10K race this morning and had my first taste of being used. I've read about this before but never experienced it first hand. Over a very windy bridge this guy decides to draft off of me. I tried moving further to the side and speeding up but I wasn't strong enough to shake him. He then goes and sprints away after we get down to the other side. How unmanly of you! Angry Vent over. I know it is all just race tactics but I'm not feelin' very enthused right now. It was a bad race anyway and I'm lickin' my wounds. Cry
      Other than you letting it bother you psychologically by feeling "used", how did his tactic affect your race? Too bad about the bad race. We have all had them. But, if the drafter contributed to the "badness" of your race, it's your fault for leting it get to you, not his for using a normal, accepted race tactic.
      mattw1970

Injured

I think if you should be upset with anyone it should be yourself. If you were a stronger runner he wouldnt have left you in the dust. just sayin'
        INJURED
          Why couldn't you slow down until he passed you and then drafted him back?

I can not even count the number of times that I've been used thus. Or that I've used that sort of a tactic. Slowing down sometimes work, but I usually try to find a good spot to pick up the pace when they might not notice right away and leave them behind then. It's a trick finding a place where it won't make you work harder than you need to. Most times I just ignore them and let 'em take the short advantage.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I consider it a compliment. It means somebody out there thinks I am fast.
                Other than you letting it bother you psychologically by feeling "used", how did his tactic affect your race? Too bad about the bad race. We have all had them. But, if the drafter contributed to the "badness" of your race, it's your fault for leting it get to you, not his for using a normal, accepted race tactic.
                I know yer right. Just caught me by surprise and frankly I've never drafted off of anyone and have always thought it was kind of only for the "elite" people up front who really gave a carp! As far as the other ideas go...I did think about slowing down but I was trying to catch the woman up ahead and I figured that I would be giving up this goal at a critical moment. Didn't matter anyway because I didn't catch her. Interesting comments, all.
                  I think if you should be upset with anyone it should be yourself. If you were a stronger runner he wouldnt have left you in the dust. just sayin'
                  Well, duh!! Roll eyes
                  dfffff

It happens. If you're the better runner it won't matter.
                      It's a race and runners trying to win the race use race tactics. I've had had other runners draft me and I've drafted other runners. If you had been looking for someone to draft instead of worrying about the guy drafting you, you'd have crossed that bridge in better time. Tom

uncontrollable

Raced last Sun. - quite windy - some guy actually encouraged me to draft - I didn't even get his gesture at first but wondered what prompted his act ... my grunts of exertion perhaps? It was great & I only hope I can be of assistance to someone one day who is in need of a few minutes less torture! Shy

peace

DeadMopoz

I would say lean forward, slow down just a bit and bring your hills a little higher as you run - this would shake him off. Kind of reminds me dirty trick of competitive racing back at my HS days.
                            Raced last Sun. - quite windy - some guy actually encouraged me to draft - I didn't even get his gesture at first but wondered what prompted his act ... my grunts of exertion perhaps? It was great & I only hope I can be of assistance to someone one day who is in need of a few minutes less torture! Shy
                            I assume for the people who really know what they are doing, they take turns drafting off each other. In the end helping both.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I assume for the people who really know what they are doing, they take turns drafting off each other. In the end helping both.
                              You are right. Sharing the windbreaking workload is good etiquette for two or more runners over an extended distance. It's a "fair" thing to do. Hanging on someone's heels for mile after mile to let the other person(s) deal with a headwind for you, while not against the rules, is really poor sportsmanship. OTOH, there is nothing wrong with coming up behind someone and drafting momentarily without offering to reciprocate if you plan to continue to run a faster pace than the other person(s), after passing....or let the other person draft on you if s/he can run your pace.
                              JakeKnight

Hanging on someone's heels for mile after mile to let the other person(s) deal with a headwind for you, while not against the rules, is really poor sportsmanship.
                                Is it really? I had no idea. If I ever approach the kind of speed where I'm actually racing someone, I guess I'll have to learn this stuff.
                                How unmanly of you!
                                I can't resist asking: how exactly was this "unmanly?" I can see why you'd call it annoying or frustrating or a whole bunch of other adjectives ... but "unmanly" I don't get. Should men not draft behind female competitors? I'm honestly curious. Should he have been gallant and offered to let you draft behind him ... because you're a girl? Seems to me he paid you a compliment: he treated you just like any other competitor. That's actually one of the many things I love about running - the other runners are just other runners. They lose all the labels and become just other competitors. If I were a woman, and some guy treated me differently on a race course because of it, I'd be pissed. So what's the "manly" thing to do? Do tell.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------