If you could put together a gift basket for a new runner??? (Read 1095 times)

what would you include...? What Kind of Shoe? Apparell? GPS? Socks? Literature? ETC???
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
    obiebyke

Shoes are hard to give someone. I'd give them nice non-cotton running socks, a Forerunner 305, a tech tshirt, shorts with a zipper for a key, a Road ID for safety, sweat-proof sunscreen, an armband for running with an mp3 player, nice sunglasses that won't slip down a sweaty nose... Those are the things I think of right away.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, add to that Body Glide and Blister Shield powder...The Stick, a bottle of "vitamin I", some beer, a package of whole wheat pasta, Her Sports & Fitness magazine (for a female), SmartWool socks, Sennheiser sport headphones, iPod Shuffle, GC to favorite local running store, RA address Wink, The Competitive Runner's Handbook (Glover)...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

Tick tock

a Forerunner 305 That does it. I am ordering one of these come Payday on Thursday. I have seen this mentioned too many times. I also run on a trail/track and I ALWAYS forget what lap I am on...this would help keep in check on how far I have run.
            2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

Oh Mighty Wing

ben i have the 205 because i don't care about the HR monitor enough to pay the extra price don't want to hijack so: socks, body glide, chap stick, Runner's ID, a water bottle, a note with any wise words of wisdom

Gift certificate to Road ID, Thorlos socks, and for shoes I'd give a gift certificate to a local running store with a note to have them determine what the best shoes are for them.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

A printout of your training log graph, with a note to check out runningahead.com!

Queen of 3rd Place

Balega "Enduro" running socks, long sleeve and short sleeve tech tees, body glide, spray-on sunscreen, a big tub of ovaltine, Tim Noakes "Lore of Running" (that'll keep 'em busy Evil grin), gift card to download music, road ID... Arla

Ex runner

oooh, also a gift cert. to a good massage therapist!

Oh Mighty Wing

so really what we are all saying is forget the basket and just give money! Tongue

Top 'O the World!

Yah! always give cash/GC's....'Cause it's such an "inexpensive" sport!! Evil grin on the Garmins: REI currently has the 305 on sale here for $164....I use the HR monitor most of the time...but then, I'm an info geek! Big grin
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                          mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Gift Subscription to Runner's World, +1 on the massage gift certificate, "homemade" gift certificate to come to one or more races and crew for them / cheer them on; or if you're close in ability a set day to train together to help them keep with it, or for babysitting while they run if they need it. DVD of the Steve Prefontaine story.
                            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Subscription to Runners World AND Running Times. Breakthrough Running (compilation of articles by RT) Daniels' Running Formula
                              CherryDG

Some ideas to add to the list: - Visor or hat: I can't run without one, especially in the summer. - Brochures for local races they might want to check out. - Maps of local running trails/routes and their distances. - Cowbell: Don't laugh. I bring mine to races and always get asked where I got it. (http://www.bell-outlet.com/cowbellb.htm)