Running Shorts (Read 2647 times)

Okay, so I just got out of school for the summer (why I haven't been hanging around these boards lately) and I was wondering if anyone has running shorts suggestions. I haven't worn any during the spring (except for races, of course), but I feel like I should be wearing them as opposed to basketball shorts, especially during those hot New England summers. Suggestions? Are women's running shorts really more comfortable than men's (see http://www.talk.dyestat.com/showthread.php?t=68805&highlight=women%27s+running+shorts)? Where to buy, etc, etc. Any and all help, as always, appreciated.
    PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season
      Greatest shorts ever right here.  I basically wear them for all my runs.  They feel great and are very short.  Lots of color selection too. http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/productdetail/model_nbr--60558/sku--2043941/size--/cm--GLOBAL%20SEARCH%3A%20KEYWORD%20SEARCH/
        I just bought these a few days ago and are very comfortable: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRA-SMPS8.html
        seeEricaRun

Awesome

I have a number of different brands of running shorts (Nike, RaceReady, Craft, Adidas, Sugoi) and I haven't really found one that feels noticeably different than the others, so I would recommend searching for them based on their cost, appearance and features. I'm a huge fan of pockets (ReadReadys are the way to go here), and built-in undies (one less thing to rummage for in the morning).
            Okay, so I was curious and went to the website and read most of the comments. Seems like quite a few guys were in favor of wearing womens shorts. Guess if you're comfortable with yourself, who cares right. So I've book marked the site and going to go back there and look at some of the links and consider it myself. I'd like to hear from some of the ladies around here and see what you think of it? What would you think of a guy wearing women's shorts? On the other site, there were even a couple of guys who had pink ones. I'm not that brave to wear pink! Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Okay, so I was curious and went to the website and read most of the comments. Seems like quite a few guys were in favor of wearing womens shorts. Guess if you're comfortable with yourself, who cares right. So I've book marked the site and going to go back there and look at some of the links and consider it myself. I'd like to hear from some of the ladies around here and see what you think of it? What would you think of a guy wearing women's shorts? On the other site, there were even a couple of guys who had pink ones. I'm not that brave to wear pink! Larry
              Running Attire is about Comfort first and foremost. I say if you are comfortable with yourself, go for it, as Most common folk on the street would not know the difference between gender specific shorts anyway.... Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

#artbydmcbride

I find the Nike tempo shorts are the most comfortable to me.

Runners run

Dude this is one of those things you'll have to work out on your own. I've worn a million different shorts including splits, baggies etc. My current favorite for training is the Nike Mens 4" Dri-Fit short you can get at RunningWarehouse for $26. I have a hard time believing womens shorts are noticeably more comofortable than mens--my wife has some womens running shorts that look to have all the same parts and materials as mine, just cut to fit a chick. I guess if you have wide hips and no package they could work for you.

Runners run

Scout7

Christ in a race car.... Go into any sports store, find the section called "Running", and try on a few. Then walk out with the cheapest possible pair. That's usually the cotton ones. Which work fine. Just wear a little support underneath if you want.

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

C-R

Christ in a race car.... Go into any sports store, find the section called "Running", and try on a few. Then walk out with the cheapest possible pair. That's usually the cotton ones. Which work fine. Just wear a little support underneath if you want.
                        "snort" - some of the good chuckles missed while on vacation with limited internet but unlimted placed to run. I'm with Scout - find some inexpensive shorts. They only end up smelling funky at the end - of their life. Can't comment on the comando thing so I will defer to Scout on that part. Nice touch MikeyMike - damn near spit up some coffee on that one.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dude this is one of those things you'll have to work out on your own. I've worn a million different shorts including splits, baggies etc. My current favorite for training is the Nike Mens 4" Dri-Fit short you can get at RunningWarehouse for $26. I have a hard time believing womens shorts are noticeably more comofortable than mens--my wife has some womens running shorts that look to have all the same parts and materials as mine, just cut to fit a chick. I guess if you have wide hips and no package they could work for you.
                          Honestly I wouldn't have thought they were any different. I would of thought they were pretty much the same... that's why I asked. So, I guess you pretty much answered my question, albeit not as I expected. I'm sorry that I don't research the differences between men's and women's clothing, as I have never really thought of it before (it's not really something a guy thinks of). I guess I should have been able to figure out that they are different... although the website I linked to originally said they DO keep the package secure. Therefore, I think that does raise the question. Then again, I don't claim to be the smartest guy out there... so whatever I say can pretty much be discounted as wrong- I'll learn I guess.
                          PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season

#artbydmcbride

I don't think they are cut that differently. And I've worn both men's and women's shorts when running. Big grin

Runners run

I thought that the only difference was that men's shorts come with a liner, and women's shorts don't? As stated above, any running shorts will beat basketball shorts for comfort while running.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

A running co-worker of mine, says that she wears Soffe running shorts and find them much more comfortable. They're made of a microfiber material verses nylon like most shorts. She says she's found them at TJ Max's before. The closest one to me is 10 miles away from work and in the opposite direction from where I live. She's going to check it out for me this weekend as she lives a lot closer to it. Hey what the heck, I'm willing to be open minded and give it a shot.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"