Possibly broken toe (Read 123 times)

Dream Maker

There's a chance my boyfriend has broken his toe.  It's swollen, discolored, and he can't move it.   He's worried with his upcoming goals.

I'm trying to encourage him to go to the doctor for confirmation/ refutation and advice, but has anyone here been through it?

I've found some articles on line saying you can run if the pain is bearable, some saying you can't, some saying you can run - but it causes much worse problems requiring longer time off or surgery.  

Did you keep running?   What adaptations did you make (surface, distance, speed, etc)?

Were there any adverse consequences to that decision?

If not, how long did you take off?

Thanks!

#artbydmcbride

Which toe?  

Runners run

JanaLamb

I've seen a broken toe (from furniture) last few weeks. I think it wasn't more than a month. My bro got swelling and it didn't look blue but kinda gray only. Also, he didn't like wearing shoes that time.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Dream Maker

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Billy Crudup ran 

Yet that clip stars Jared Leto, who injured himself jumping off a diving board. Crudup injured himself falling in a hotel. They were both tremendous athletes though and probably not best example for how to proceed with an injury.

Dream Maker

He's headed to the doctor today. 
              He really doesn't want to take time off running.  Obviously, he already completed 25 kilometers on it.  But I'm worried about it causing lasting more serious complications. I'm not sure what the actual risk of that.   Once the toe doesn't hurt to the touch anymore, is it okay to run?  etc.

There's conflicting reports online - people running through a broken toe period, people taking just a couple weeks off, a lot saying a month, some saying 6 weeks.

Any experiences appreciated. Smile

xhristopher

I kicked some furniture once and really messed up my little toe. I had it taped but it hurt too much to run for days. Finally I tried cutting a hole in some old running shoes so the toe could hang out and I was right back to running. That may be worth a try.

spinach

I am glad that he is seeing a doctor today about it.  I broke my big toe when I was in college but I didn't get it treated.  I was able to walk and run on it then so I just ignored it.  Unfortunately it didn't seem to heal correctly and now I have really bad arthritis at the base of the toe and it is painful on just about every step I take.  He should get checked and fixed if possible to avoid related problems in the future.

#artbydmcbride

Middle toe may be okay with just taping.  The tricky part might be if that is his longest toe.  Firm shoes like Hokas may be best too.....

Runners run

Dream Maker

I am glad that he is seeing a doctor today about it.  I broke my big toe when I was in college but I didn't get it treated.  I was able to walk and run on it then so I just ignored it.  Unfortunately it didn't seem to heal correctly and now I have really bad arthritis at the base of the toe and it is painful on just about every step I take

I broke my wrist on a fall trail running a few years ago and did get it treated and went through physical therapy and was told I was all healed up ideally and everything... now, at only 30, I'm told post-traumatic arthritis.

yaay.

dominant hand, too.

Dream Maker

Middle toe may be okay with just taping.  The tricky part might be if that is his longest toe.  Firm shoes like Hokas may be best too.....

Not his longest toe.  He wears hokas.

SheCan

I broke my middle toe in October.  It took about 2 or 3 weeks for the pain to go away for the most part.  Doctor told me to wear a hard soled shoe and to tape it to the 2nd toe.  During that time, I just wore hiking boots.  After about 2 months, and I started up running again.  I've had no trouble, though the toe is still stubby, discolored, and points odd.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

I'm told post-traumatic arthritis.

yaay.

dominant hand, too.

My only first-hand experiences are with gout. I hope he's both able to heal quickly and run without consequence while doing it. Good luck.

DennisF6

I broke a toe one week before my first ever triathlon about 2 years ago.

The day after I broke it, my doctor x-rayed it, said it wasn't broken, and told me to just buddy tape it.

I think I only ran once that week (I was tapering anyway) but then didn't have any problems in my race - other than some bearable pain.

A couple of days after the race I checked my messages in the system my doctors office uses.  Shortly after I left his office he had sent me a message saying the radiologist had spotted something he missed and my toe actually was broken.   Still, he only recommended buddy taping and ok'd running if the pain didn't seem too bad.  I went back to normal training after that.  For me, the pain just slowly diminished over the next 4 or 5 weeks. Maybe a little longer to completely go away.

That said, there are certainly different severities of breaks.  I'm sure mine was about as small a hairline fracture as one could have.  If your boyfriends break is worse, he may need to deal with it differently.  I would definitely recommend getting a doctors advice (and checking your email after you leave the office!)

Taeil

How is your boyfriend now?

I had broken 2 toes, the second and the little one. I jumped from landing into water and I slipped on the moment of jump. No cast, only plasters to nexts toes. I could barely walking, what about running! And my second toe is not perfect till today. A liitle bit curve and hurts very much when I hit with it on sth.