Participants Needed - Running Study (web-based) through University of Delaware (Read 1761 times)

UDRunningLab

Attention runners!  The University of Delaware Running Laboratory would like to invite you to take part in a web based running survey in order to better understand the habits of the modern runner.  Your participation will involve 15 minutes of your time each month to fill out an online survey.  You will fill out one survey a month for a year, upon which your name will be entered into a raffle to win a GPS!  To qualify for this opportunity you must be relatively healthy, between the ages of 18 and 50 and run more than 10 miles/week.  Please contact Allison Altman at 302-831-4646, or coordinator.runsurvey@gmail.com for more information. 

xor

>> modern runner

One thing that annoys me about Mr Roboto is that he keeps singing "mod-ren man".  Modren?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Win a GPS-equipped car?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Clearly he's referring to the satellites in geosynchronous orbit.

... in order to better understand the habits of the modern runner. 

What sort of habits?  (Serious question.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Riot Dog

Kellanos

Possible spam/ID theft alert: A legitimate university study would likely come from a university (school.edu) email domain.

I just took a quick look and the phone number is indeed for the running lab at UD.  As for the gmail address, we researchers using human participants use gmail (etc.) accounts all the time for participant recruitment.  It is much easier to set up a free, temporary gmail account (or 5, or 10) for a specific study than to use the university domain.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Possible spam/ID theft alert: A legitimate university study would likely come from a university (school.edu) email domain.

It is prolly legit.  Number is from Newark De where the university is located, and it seems Allison has a linkedin acnt:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/allison-altman/3/a26/a97

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

You'll ruin your knees!

Why are you hating > 50 yo runners? 

Hey, all you 50+ year olds, or even < 18 year old runners, please email letigeoussociety@geriatricsrus.org to  be added to the class action lawsuit!  ;p

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Clearly he's referring to the satellites in geosynchronous orbit.

Cool, how much do you think a satellite is worth?  Couple $MM?   I could sell it back to JPL/Caltech for some coin.  

henryc

Cool, how much do you think a satellite is worth?  Couple $MM?   I could sell it back to JPL/Caltech for some coin.  

Screw a satellite, I want my own whole system.  That way I can always have the right time.

jpdeaux

Why are you hating > 50 yo runners? 

Hey, all you 50+ year olds, or even < 18 year old runners, please email letigeoussociety@geriatricsrus.org to  be added to the class action lawsuit!  ;p

I lied. How will they know?

Oh, and what about that 10 miles/week? Who does she think we are, Superman? Who runs 10 miles a week? That's more than a mile each day. I get tired driving a mile in a day. The study's doomed. Doomed, I tell ya!

Allison Altman is a real person/grad student at U Del and is in Biomechanics and the phone number is the correct person. So, I guess it is real. This is her advisor. If you look under research interests you will see Biomechanical analysis of running injuries, relationships between lower extremity structure, mechanics, and injury.

Allison Altman is a real person/grad student at U Del and is in Biomechanics and the phone number is the correct person. So, I guess it is real.

wildchild

Carolyn

But, yeah, why do you have to be under 50?  What does Allison have against us older runners?  Maybe we don't qualify as "modern".  Heh.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Because they are studying lower extremity injuries due to running. People over 50 are more likely to have lower bone density and therefore more likely to be injured. This causes issues with the study and would probably make it unpublishable.