Would speed walking be considered rest when injured? (Read 713 times)

aes

With a sore hamstring, would brisk walking still be considered rest? If I ran for 3 minutes and then walked for three, would that be ok? Please let me know because the thought of not running for a week or two worries me a lot.
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

aes, It's all relative. If you run 40 miles a week and then do a run/walk combo, then that's considered a rest. You don't lose too much fitness in a week or two. Even if you did, you will regain that quickly once you get back to running again. Have you considered cross training? Your concern of losing cardio fitness is valid, and with cross training such as biking and swimming, you can retain (most of) the cardio while giving your hamstring the much needed rest. Just my two cents.

You'll ruin your knees!

aes, I posted a reply on another of your threads...but 10-20 days will not reduce your conditioning! It might drive you absolutely bonkers 8 Ball, but it will not diminish your training base. Better to err on the side of rest than to push it. I think walking/speed walking may put even more stress on the hammy! Bike/swim/read/strengh conditioning are all great alternatives...won't help with the bonkers thing, but will help with side benefits to the running! Take care, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wingz

Professional Noob

I wouldn't do it! Speedwalking uses the butt and hammies quite a bit! Since that's the area you're needing to rest I think you should pick a different crosstraining exercise. While run/walk would be a rest for the rest of you, the part you're worried about would be getting MORE work because it's not used to the work of the speedwalking. I'd go for the biking - it uses more quads than hammies.

Roads were made for journeys...

aes

Bummer... but I guess you do use more of your hamstring/butt muscles when walking. Thanks everyone. I'll try strengthening it and hopefully by the end of next week, things will be looking a bit more up.
              I agree with jlynnbob. I was injured a few years ago and had to go on the shelf for a month. I rode a bike during that time and lost very little of my fitness. In fact, about a month after I was able to run again, I ran a 5k and set a pr!

Go Pre!

Swimming has to be the best Cross traing. Especially if you can get in some fast lane swimming and go solid for 30 minutes. The low-res is a great bonus.
                  If you have access to a pool you could consider deep pool running. It is recommended for many running injuries including stress fractures. (I went through that) You wear a life jacket and run in the deep water making the same motions as running on the road. Your feet must not be able to touch the bottom of the pool. I did it for six weeks and it worked for me. I just switched distance for time in my workouts. I did find It did not get my cardio as high as I would have liked but I also used the stationary bike. It also keeps you motivated rather than getting depressed watching other runners out on the road. If you want more info check out http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/pmr/obser100.cfm Dave PS: You will look like a dork but it's worth it to not lose your fitness and have to start training from scratch again.
                  WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                  JakeKnight

Hiya! I would have told you not to try the speed walking - but just by chance I happened to find Jeff Galloway's answer to your question this morning (from his Book on Running, 2nd ed.), and you might like the answer. First, when you're injured, as others above said, Galloway said the very best exercise is pool running. It comes extremely close to simulating the same muscle usage with no impact and basically zero risk of injury. But not far down his list of suggested activities is ... race walking. His basic conclusion is that it's probably fine (or better than fine), but that you need to pay attention and be careful. Here's what he said: "Race walking: this is an activity which seldom aggravates an injury, but don't do it if there is even a HINT (ed. note: his emphasis, not mine) of aggravation. The object is to rotate your hips and shift your legs quickly, keeping one leg on the ground at all times. This reduces the pounding of running, but uses the same muscles (plus many others). Again, you simulate your running sessions. To get the same benefits, you must cover the same amount of miles you would running. This will obviously take more time."

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Personally, I use walking as my recovery activity following long runs and I have used it in the past during times of overuse injuries---as long as it doesn't aggravate the injury. If the injury doesn't manifest itself while walking, go for it. If it does, then consider an alternative. The injury will tell you what's best if you pay attention. You don't need to necessarily race walk; walk at whatever pace will keep you active and without pain. Just my opinion.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Wingz

Professional Noob

I see from your log you've started back up again. How's it going and how are the hammies?

Roads were made for journeys...